Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,877 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am originally from Guatemala, and currently a graduate student at Iowa State University. I will be transferring to UNH next January and need some advice. I plan to stay in Durham at the most one year.
I've never been to the east of the US and it is me and my dog moving there, so I wanted opinions on housing. It was relatively easy for me to find here in Ames a not too expensive room in a house with a fenced yard. I wondered how hard would it be to find a place like this in Durham or nearby?
Around how much should I expect to pay for rent of a room in a house?

Also, I don't own a car and wanted to hear your opinions on how it is to live around Durham without a car as I don't think I will buy one unless it is completely impossible to live without one (I have a bike that I might take there, or else I will definitively buy one there...is it easy to find cheap good bikes (preferably mountain bikes)?).

If it is not Durham, which town around would you people suggest I should look for a place to live giving my no-car and dog situation?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM

193 posts, read 534,066 times
It's been a while since I lived in Durham, but here's a response.

At UNH, in the Memorial Union Building (MUB) there should be some bulletin boards where people post with rooms available. If you can find one that allows pets, that would probably be your cheapest route. Otherwise, check Craiglist for rental costs around Durham and Dover.

You could bike from Dover -- the distance isn't so much a factor as the snow and cold. Come January, you're not going to want to bike. There is a bus, however, so you should be able to get by without a car.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,426,863 times
What is prompting you to transfer to UNH?

I would think that your graduate school advisor can probably point you to some on campus resources that can assist you in finding housing nearby. Finding a shared housing situation with a dog may be challenging but maybe you can find some kind of studio apartment or similar.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
You will have a VERY difficult time finding what you want. First off, there is a sever shortage of off-campus housing for UNH students in Durham. The rentals that are available are often for anywhere from 2-5 students, and do not allow pets. You can expect to pay anywhere from $400-$700+ for a room in the apartment..I'm unsure what the costs of living alone would be, or if there are even any options for that. As for the car, you don't need one in the sense that you won't starve or be unable to get around campus without one. However, there is nothing in Durham other than a small grocery store, a few shops downtown, take out food, and 2 or 3 bars. You might be bored if you're confined here. Although there are bus routes that you can ride for free as a UNH student. You might also want to check out Dover for housing, but same thing, you probably will have a hard time with the dog AND living alone- I'd plan to give up one or the other. I graduated from UNH in 08 and I'm pretty confident what I'm writing is still the case there. The cost of living in terms of housing is very expensive for students at this school simply because there are not many units available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire