Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM

165 posts, read 326,227 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a family of four with two young children and we are planning a move from MA to NH in the next year or so. We have spent some time up there and love the state. We are aiming for the lakes region but I'm also considering the Exeter area because good public schools are a must. I just have some questions if you don't mind

We really like Wolfeboro. I love the charm of the area! I can't seem to be able to find out the population of the town though. I've seen it at around 3000 on one site and over 6000 on another. Anybody know which one is accurate?
My husband really likes Tuftonboro but I'm afraid it may be too far from any ammenities.
I like Meredith but the husband says he thinks it too touristy. Is it really any more so than Wolfeboro?
Alton is also on our list but I just read a thread on here that complains of new overdevelopment. That is a big concern for us and is one of the reasons we are leaving MA. Is there a lot of building in other towns as well? We've also heard it's very windy there??

We may also look into Gilford although I think it's a bit bigger (population-wise) than what we want.

One more question...where do people in the lakes region shop? I know there's an IGA in Wolfeboro and a couple of Hannafords around but what about other stuff? Where we live now there are 3 Targets, 2 Home Depots, a Lowes and just about every other store on the planet within very easy driving distance from our home. I realize it will be different up there but will a trip to Target or Kohl's have to be an all day excursion?

Thanks so much for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,119,277 times
Wolfeboro's population is well over 6K - back in 2000, it was around 3K. It is the oldest resort town in America and is definitely touristy and certainly comparable to Meredith.

Kohl's, Home Depot, Lowes, and a variety of grocery stores are 1/2 hour away in Rochester. There are also grocery stores in Ossipee and Alton. Those towns are also 1/2 hour away. There is a supermarket in Wolfeboro.

Gilford has approximately the same amount of residents as Wolfeboro but is easier to get around town. Wolfeboro is basically a one street town with lots of little expensive shops and tourists.

I think it's funny when people say Alton is over-developed. There has been new construction on the lake, but it's million dollar + homes and they are hidden from view, for the most part.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,153,144 times
Wolfeboro's population in 2000 was 6,083. The population in 2007 was 6,528.

The 3k numbers are for the main village in the center of Wolfeboro, which is a census-designated place.

Meredith and Wolfeboro are equally "touristy." Meredith is busier overall, but the roads can handle the extra capacity of tourists a little better than Wolfeboro, which really only has one main road in town. However, the Wolfeboro side of the lake is quieter overall, especially if you escape up to Tuftonboro. (But you're right - living in Tuftonboro will likely add a good deal of time to reaching amenities).

I'm not sure about the development concerns in Alton but it's hardly yet at the point of being "overdeveloped." It's one of the smaller Winnipesaukee towns (and I don't believe there are real differences in wind speeds between towns, unless you live on a hill...). However, the public schools in Alton are not very highly rated.

Gilford has very good schools but it's a bit harder to get "off the beaten path" in town. There's a strip of big box stores on Route 3 near Laconia and it has a wider range of amenities than any of the other towns you're considering, but at the same time it doesn't quite have as much "character" IMO. There's not much of a town center to speak of.

The Governor Wentworth School District (Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, etc.) is also highly rated. The Inter-Lakes District (Meredith and area) is generally considered good but not quite on par with Gilford or Governor Wentworth. This is largely based on word-of-mouth, of course.

If you lived in Wolfeboro or Alton, most of the big box stores you mentioned will be found in Rochester. If you lived in Meredith or Gilford, you would find a lot of them in Gilford or, if not, in Tilton. Out of all four towns, Wolfeboro is the farthest drive (30-35 min.) to these stores.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 AM

165 posts, read 326,227 times
Thank you for the replies, they are quite helpful.
We are planning on making several more trips to the area to help narrow down our choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire