Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,204,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
The weather here is certainly unpredictable at best, The saying goes, Don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.

This year has been a polar opposite of last winter. last winter we had so much snow that I had to shovel my roof several times, buildings were collapsing left and right because of deep snow and it was a snow lovers heaven.

This winter, were in the heart of winter and I can still see my grass and its been in the 40s and sunny alot.

Monthly Weather Forecast for Bow, NH (03304) - weather.com

Can be stressful if your a snow lover. At least in Colorado your pretty much guaranteed the mountains will have snow in February!
NH winters these days are basically one extreme or the other. The winter weather patterns have gotten highly erratic and inconsistent. I study microclimates and the average temperatures this winter in the higher mountainous zones of NH have been nearly the warmest on record. Most areas this winter have been in a snow drought, CO being one of the few exceptions. I need my greenery so I could never live in CO. WAY TOO SEMI-ARID

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-26-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the data I've seen shows that November is usually the cloudiest month, whereas late September/early October is actually the sunniest time of year (quite a big jump from Oct to Nov!). Aside from November, April/May also appears to be a relatively cloudy time of year, moreso than midwinter. To be fair, though, these are pretty minor differences, especially when compared to other climate regions in the US.

NH definitely gets more sunshine than MI during the winter, though, with the possible exception of far northern NH.
You are bascially correct on the data. November, on average, is the cloudiest month in the state with mid Spring being cloudier as well. I lived in the Michiana region (MI/IN border zone) and could not deal with the very dark grey skies for long stretches of time. The permacloud effect is not fun.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM

427 posts, read 403,295 times
Just had to post, hope the OP is still watching this thread.
I lived in CO for about a decade up in the ski resort towns then moved back to my native NH.
I enjoyed the first summer then was ready to go by November. Now planning my return this spring/summer.
Colorado is full of New England refugees and they all warned me that everyone comes back because of the heat, humidity, lack of snow, aggressive uptight people, allergies, high cost of living vs. quality of life, etc...
I can think of some friends that only stayed for a ski season in CO then returned to NH, but anyone that stayed for a Colorado summer has become a lifer.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Just had to post, hope the OP is still watching this thread.
I lived in CO for about a decade up in the ski resort towns then moved back to my native NH.
I enjoyed the first summer then was ready to go by November. Now planning my return this spring/summer.
Colorado is full of New England refugees and they all warned me that everyone comes back because of the heat, humidity, lack of snow, aggressive uptight people, allergies, high cost of living vs. quality of life, etc...
I can think of some friends that only stayed for a ski season in CO then returned to NH, but anyone that stayed for a Colorado summer has become a lifer.
I highly doubt the cost of living in the resort areas of Colorado is any lower than New Hampshire. NH has plenty of milder summer climate areas if you know where to look. It's an apples to oranges comparison due to differences in elevation and latitude obviously.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 PM

427 posts, read 403,295 times
Colorado ski resort towns are known for their high cost of living, at least compared to Denver. I was hoping to illustrate for the OP that the cost of living is very high here in NH. There is also an almost intangible,highly subjective cost/benefit ratio that favors CO for myself. CO has incredible infrastructure, great planning,public trans, bike paths, etc etc. This is with only 1 or 2% more tax burden.
Please also keep in mind that Denver might get to 100 degrees during the day, but there is no humidity to hold the heat at night. I remember laughing at the weatherman one time when he said "it's gonna stay in the 60's tonight, so an uncomfortable night for sleeping..." He also used the term "raw" once and was not even close to the NH use.
In my years there I used the AC in my car once or twice, did not own a bottle of bug spray, and the screen windows were only to keep the cat inside.
check out this thread on moving from the northeast to Denver for other views

Last edited by brk330; 02-26-2012 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: spelchek

Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,806,179 times
I too am going back and forth about Colorado vs NH...but I must say that when you move to NH, you really are getting the whole New England area to enjoy. You can travel one hour and be in Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts....cities like Portland, ME and Boston are close by. You can travel to Cape Cod, Newport RI. Providence. Even Quebec isn't that far a journey. To me, that's the beauty of the place (besides its natural beauty), in that you're not really locked in to just southern NH, you're really getting the whole New England area. Everything is really close by. I feel like Denver is just too isolated from everyplace else but that's just me. There's always lots of fairs, festivals, etc. going on somewhere in NE. and great sports team too! I live in SoCal so driving a few hours isn't a big deal to me. You can subscribe to Yankee Magazine or go on their website and it gives alot of information on the whole region. Gee, I think I've talked myself back into retiring to NH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire