Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck500 View Post
My mom is always ooing and awwing about that kank highway. I don't know how to spell or pronounce it so I won't even try. It sounds like you really had a nice time. LOL @ assless pants though haha.. It was 89 degrees here today so I did a little riding too.

Hell, I live here and can't spell it either, so I just say Kanc. I recall it as all dirt as a wee lad. I was about 5 then. Dad and his brothers took me camping up in the pemii wilderness when it was still a wilderness.

Back then a hi tech tent was a left over parachute from the Korean War.

The way I say that word is Kank ka' moc gus, try if fast 10 times

Tourists say it Kankamung gus.

Any time i get to ride is a great time. Although some places scare me.

Once I had to attend a funeral just below Balitimore, and so since it was oct, i rode down there with my wife on back. Now I don't like man made tall things like bridges. but somehow all them nice preople taking tolls on them tall bridges seemed to know I was coming and had a 1-800 numbers to call if it got to be to depressin' to ride all the way over them all.

Seemed like they had the idea I might wanna go swimmin off that Tapanzee bridge, and that other one down in NJ.

The worst one was crossing into Md from Delaware, which isn't tall but is like 7 miles long cheese grader and has a 90 degree turn somewhere over the water. That wasn't all that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Chesepeck Bay Bridsge was the worst going to SC. On my goldwing we were forced to ride the lenght on a violent thunderstorm. No place to stop and lightning hitting the water. Held my breath for the entire lenght.

Quote:
Seemed like they had the idea I might wanna go swimmin off that Tapanzee bridge
Just don't swallow any water. That bridge isn't too bad on a bike if the traffic is light. I like to head back up in the early am to miss a lot of it. Forget the GWB. The roads have the same potholes since the 70's.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Chesepeck Bay Bridsge was the worst going to SC. On my goldwing we were forced to ride the lenght on a violent thunderstorm. No place to stop and lightning hitting the water. Held my breath for the entire lenght.

Just don't swallow any water. That bridge isn't too bad on a bike if the traffic is light. I like to head back up in the early am to miss a lot of it. Forget the GWB. The roads have the same potholes since the 70's.

I bet crossing the Chesepeak Bay Bridge was a total night mare in a bad storm. To me it was a nightmare in fair weather. I just hate big bridges in the first place. I am kinda like a horse that way. I know it isn't real ground, and the shake is hard upon my soul.

NY State has world class pot holes. Down near Binghamton on another ride I was nearly killed by one. I did miss it totally, but if I didn't I doubt I would be typing anything at all today. This pot was the exact same size and in the place of a white dotted line between the driving lane and the passing lane. It was so deep I could see road mesh in the bottom.

I had just passed a 18 wheeler fast and was coming back into the driving lane, towing a little bike trailer behind the bike. The hole was big enough to have sucked up car tires too. Just passing that hole turned my guts.

Almost had to pull over and puke in the break down lane.

On that Balt trip in Fairhaven Ct for some reason apx 1 mile ahead everyone hit the clampers and lots of smoke from tires filled the air suddenely. That was upsetting too, but there was that express lane wide open, and while I wasn't supposed to cross into it, there was no barrier, so I did anyway.

To ride down there you need the eyes of a spider.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Mac - "Eyes of a spider". Great description!

I was riding on some 10 lane freeway in East LA and know what you mean. You need two sets of spider eyes for that place. I also ran over a bolt, cut the tube and had the tire come off the rim during the scramble to the left hand guardrail. You remember things like that.

Wife and I, in a car, not on a bike, drove the Bear Notch Road on Christmas Eve. I didn’t see the snowmobiles only sign. That was great fun in an old Datsun Wagon. More sideways than straight. Had to ask the sleds to move when we got to Bartlett.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
well see that's what you get for trying to drive a more 'scenic' route and hugging the coastline! If you had come down I95... the Susquehanna & the Baltimore tunnel bridges aren't much of anything (always avoid the Key Bridge, though: that humpback is awful)

Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Greg, that's datin' yer ol self sum..... That roads has been gated on both ends a while now. I recall going up there to twitch out a land yaught once with a wrecked pre gated of course.

Set the line lock ft brakes, mashed the rear parking brakes (stick shift wrecker) began to unspool some cable and there goes the truck with no body in it. I ran with that cable and hooked the caddi, which 1/2 way twitched still un spooling cable and skated down the hill to lock the winch, to stop the wrecker.

I still don't like black ice much. Used to x-c ski that raod, by begging to get dropped off up the top and ski home since then I lived in Bartlett. Course back then a guy with ski's hitchin a ride got a ride pretty quick.

Used to do the same thing for canouin' Drop the boat high up on the Saco somewhere, drive to the pick up point and hitch a ride to the boat carrin a paddle. Go paddle a while and have my cage waitin at the pull out, alone.

I saw LA on my USA tour, and i can't say i would want to see it again. If you have no idea where you are it's hell getting around there. And I had no idea first and last time I ever go there.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
well see that's what you get for trying to drive a more 'scenic' route and hugging the coastline! If you had come down I95... the Susquehanna & the Baltimore tunnel bridges aren't much of anything (always avoid the Key Bridge, though: that humpback is awful)
Oh I dunno about that. I hate the Boswash I-95 corridor with predjuiced.

Most cagers on that are certifiably insane, and that NJ Garden State Pkw ain't much better. I tend to shy from big bridges but it gets worse in a big hole in the ground with all that stink.

The oddest thing about Md is there is a back road somewhere right next to a city road. My Bro In Law lives there and takes me around on all the back roads, so I never learn about where I am. Then he says go make a beer run as if I knew where any places were.

Last time I was there and tried that i couldn't get it figured which house was his when i got back. Every bloomin house where he lives in Pasadenia looks just like every other house on that street.

I can't understand how the burglers can keep it straight as to which house they hit up last It's no wonder men find themselves in some other womans bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire