Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Meri...if I may....
Go to the prison, then drive 30 minutes in every direction:
there's got to be a nicer place than Berlin within 30 miles. On top of that, I would think that just for peace of mind, you'd not want to see it looming in the distance of where you live, just so you weren't bringing work home every evening.
The Mt. Washington Valley offers some great places to live. 30 miles south should just about bring you to Jackson/Glen area. Breathtaking, houses with resale value, and just all around better than Berlin. Just round the corner from Jackson is Conway[s], and shopping and 'civilization'...
30 miles east I bet would put you out of the state, but Littleton/Dalton and those areas are awesome too!
Franconia Notch will take your breath away.

Also, go online and look at the chamber of commerce[s] for the towns that interest you. ALOT of info can be gathered there.
Agreed with the major exception of Dalton. I really don't care for that town much at all.

Last edited by vter; 10-27-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM

17 posts, read 56,519 times
30 Miles driving up here is not 30 minutes but more like 45 - 50 minutes and on some roads could be an hour especially in Winter. I think even Lancaster would take longer than 30 minutes and Littleton is 30 minutes further from Lancaster.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
^
Also, route 2 goes over an elevated notch right at Randolph that gets more snow- so it can be slower going during storms.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 54,381 times
Default retired college professor single, berlin N.H. seems nice!

Older gentleman seeking peaceful small city living,off of Rt.93,shared apartment with private room + utilities.Have great referances,very liberal minded.Enjoy reading,casual conversations,humar is essential, academic degrees in social psychology,criminology etc.Author and cancer survivor-advocate. Why am I logged in as anna may? Oh well my e mail address is chazmara@yahoo.com,currentl reside in Methuen ma.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,738 times
Hi, I am a transplant that moved to Berlin. There is a nice low to middle crowd and there is also bad areas. All is good for us. Most people of the middle crowd like nature sports. A river bisects the town so there is fishing and canoeing, etc. To the north there is much snowmobiling, hunting, ATV's. We have "City" activities, but many enjoy the theatre, bowling, ice rink, etc. Apartments are cheap as there is little industry now. We have most everything here, but many of us go to neighboring Gorham for restaurants and shopping. I have an apartment open for 575 a month.
As you stray away from Berlin, or any larger northern town. The conveniences get abyssmal, especially in the winter. Love it or hate it. Berlin has everything needed in a small area.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 33,953 times
Berlin is FAR FROM DEAD!

Great restaurants in Berlin include: Tea Birds, The Valley Creek Eatery, Wangs, Mary's Pizza, Eastern Depot Restaurant, and Sinibaldi's.

I have lived in Berlin for the last five years and lived here in the early 90's. I came back here because it is in fact a beautiful, new england mountain town. Yeah there are some problems, low chances for jobs since the mills closed, yes there are a few dumps in town too. The city is taking care of the dumps and the business people up here are turning the town around. We know we need to rise from the ashes like any town that was dependent on one industry, ie the paper mills, but there are alot of smart, savy business people up here that are using the areas natural beauty and outdoors to attract people here. Hell I plan on opening my own gallery/photography studio soon on Main Street.

Again, like all towns that thrived on one industry has to diversify. Instead of slamming this beautiful town, then get off your duffs and really come up here and see with your own eyes that this town is not the armpit of NH like alot of people seem to think it is.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker0369 View Post
Berlin is FAR FROM DEAD!

Great restaurants in Berlin include: Tea Birds, The Valley Creek Eatery, Wangs, Mary's Pizza, Eastern Depot Restaurant, and Sinibaldi's.

I have lived in Berlin for the last five years and lived here in the early 90's. I came back here because it is in fact a beautiful, new england mountain town. Yeah there are some problems, low chances for jobs since the mills closed, yes there are a few dumps in town too. The city is taking care of the dumps and the business people up here are turning the town around. We know we need to rise from the ashes like any town that was dependent on one industry, ie the paper mills, but there are alot of smart, savy business people up here that are using the areas natural beauty and outdoors to attract people here. Hell I plan on opening my own gallery/photography studio soon on Main Street.

Again, like all towns that thrived on one industry has to diversify. Instead of slamming this beautiful town, then get off your duffs and really come up here and see with your own eyes that this town is not the armpit of NH like alot of people seem to think it is.
There ya go the town looks like Hell warmed over, but you are new blood working on a revival, but it is fair to say the town still is Hell, aint it?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 33,953 times
Default No Mac you are wrong

There ya go the town looks like Hell warmed over, but you are new blood working on a revival, but it is fair to say the town still is Hell, aint it?

No mac it is NOT HELL. It may be your perception but it is far from that kind of perception with the residents who actually live, play and work here.

With the exception of Joseph and Christine Dimauro, the two worst slumlords who ever invaded the state of NH, who are the ones who do own all the dilapidated buildings here, and are having them slowly taken away, torn down or rehabbed, Berlin is a beautiful town. You apparently never really came up and stayed a while and met it's people and walked it's streets. The crap in the news is highly exaggerated. Sure there is a section on upper main street, on the left hand side,from the corner of Main and Mason up to the fire department that needs rehabbing and people to come in and run businesses out of it, and the ones on the right hand side are the old courthouse and then the Dimauros lovely trashed building where the laundry mat used to be, but all in all, the lower section of Main Street is incredible, especially during the spring, summer and fall with all the gardens the businesses and the garden society do. Funny thing is, the only building that is trashed in lower main street was once owned by the Dimauros. Sure where the drug store needs work, but Mr Poulin who owns it needs someone to come in and run a business in it. It needs some fixing, but compared to how the Dimauros trashed the beautiful building that was Tea Birds, which was taken away from them and is now awaiting funds to be fixed...well Berlin is a hell of alot better than some sections of Manchester, Dover, Portsmouth, Nashua and Concord let me tell ya.

As for you idiots on here who seem to find all kinds of other faults with Berlin...like the weather...so what? NH overall is a hard winter state. Yeah we get it rough up here during the winter, being right in the middle of three mountain ranges. We expect that and we cannot do anything about the weather so why hold that against us?

What, because the prices are low on buying buildings up here that means they are all trash and not worthy of rehabbing? Sure there are problems with some of them. Yet we need real decent landlords up here, not like the scum Dimauros who do not care about their buildings or their tenants and only seek to rip off as many businesses and tenants as they can. No we need landlords to realize what a gold mine it is up here. To have decent landlords come up and buy these buildings, invest in rehabbing them then renting them out....well that would go a long way in drawing even more decent people up here. The city, the fire chief and others are doing their best to drive the Dimauros out of business and we sure wish the Attorney General would do something about those two criminals, but it seems their pay offs go deep (just like they did down in West Palm Beach Florida)

The Other BIGGEST PROBLEM we have up here is the Conways and how they have been fighting the sorely needed bypass for the last twenty years. They do not want that bypass up here because it would take money out of their pockets. Yeah go to the Conways. You will see a total eye sore, nothing but malls, and expensive restaurants, shops and idiots who only come up here from Mass and buy up the businesses and then jack up the prices and run the businesses to the ground. The traffic jams, the idiots from other states who do not know how to drive. Yeah right it is the Conways that are the nasty places. Berlin is a small New England mountain town. If you cannot handle that, then shut up and stop trashing it.

Sounds like most of you who are trashing Berlin on here never even lived here and are only relying on the crap they hear about it instead of coming up here and seeing with their own eyes exactly how beautiful it is up here. Three mountain ranges around us, rivers and lakes that are second to none, miles and miles of hiking, dirt biking, atv trails.Cross country and down hill skiers paradise. Rock climbers paradise. Low prices. Fishing and hunting in dozens of streams and rivers and lakes...hey buddy fishermen...I catch on regularity 2 to 4 pd trout up here.

So instead of running your pie holes and trashing a town simply based on what other idiots say about it or the crap that is spread around about it, I invite you to Berlin NH. I will open my doors to you and show you Northern Hospitality. I will take you around to all the best places and yes, even show you the worse and how the town is doing its best to clean it up.

Put your money where your mouth is. Come up here and see with your own eyes and listen to its real citizens and you will come away with a totally different attitude about Berlin. Come up here and start a business. You will see that it will not only be appreciated, but also you will find many people buying your products. The way to make this town rise from the ashes of being a paper mill town to a town that is the jewel of the North Country is to come up here and invest.

Last edited by Windwalker0369; 03-28-2011 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: To add a little more information.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
Wow... yeah, you sound real hospitable.

Probably not the best idea to slander the local landlords on a public forum (speaking of running pie holes).

Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker0369 View Post

No mac it is NOT HELL. It may be your perception but it is far from that kind of perception with the residents who actually live, play and work here.

With the exception of Joseph and Christine Dimauro, the two worst slumlords who ever invaded the state of NH, who are the ones who do own all the dilapidated buildings here, and are having them slowly taken away, torn down or rehabbed, Berlin is a beautiful town. You apparently never really came up and stayed a while and met it's people and walked it's streets. The crap in the news is highly exaggerated. Sure there is a section on upper main street, on the left hand side,from the corner of Main and Mason up to the fire department that needs rehabbing and people to come in and run businesses out of it, and the ones on the right hand side are the old courthouse and then the Dimauros lovely trashed building where the laundry mat used to be, but all in all, the lower section of Main Street is incredible, especially during the spring, summer and fall with all the gardens the businesses and the garden society do. Funny thing is, the only building that is trashed in lower main street was once owned by the Dimauros. Sure where the drug store needs work, but Mr Poulin who owns it needs someone to come in and run a business in it. It needs some fixing, but compared to how the Dimauros trashed the beautiful building that was Tea Birds, which was taken away from them and is now awaiting funds to be fixed...well Berlin is a hell of alot better than some sections of Manchester, Dover, Portsmouth, Nashua and Concord let me tell ya.

As for you idiots on here who seem to find all kinds of other faults with Berlin...like the weather...so what? NH overall is a hard winter state. Yeah we get it rough up here during the winter, being right in the middle of three mountain ranges. We expect that and we cannot do anything about the weather so why hold that against us?

What, because the prices are low on buying buildings up here that means they are all trash and not worthy of rehabbing? Sure there are problems with some of them. Yet we need real decent landlords up here, not like the scum Dimauros who do not care about their buildings or their tenants and only seek to rip off as many businesses and tenants as they can. No we need landlords to realize what a gold mine it is up here. To have decent landlords come up and buy these buildings, invest in rehabbing them then renting them out....well that would go a long way in drawing even more decent people up here. The city, the fire chief and others are doing their best to drive the Dimauros out of business and we sure wish the Attorney General would do something about those two criminals, but it seems their pay offs go deep (just like they did down in West Palm Beach Florida)

The Other BIGGEST PROBLEM we have up here is the Conways and how they have been fighting the sorely needed bypass for the last twenty years. They do not want that bypass up here because it would take money out of their pockets. Yeah go to the Conways. You will see a total eye sore, nothing but malls, and expensive restaurants, shops and idiots who only come up here from Mass and buy up the businesses and then jack up the prices and run the businesses to the ground. The traffic jams, the idiots from other states who do not know how to drive. Yeah right it is the Conways that are the nasty places. Berlin is a small New England mountain town. If you cannot handle that, then shut up and stop trashing it.

Sounds like most of you who are trashing Berlin on here never even lived here and are only relying on the crap they hear about it instead of coming up here and seeing with their own eyes exactly how beautiful it is up here. Three mountain ranges around us, rivers and lakes that are second to none, miles and miles of hiking, dirt biking, atv trails.Cross country and down hill skiers paradise. Rock climbers paradise. Low prices. Fishing and hunting in dozens of streams and rivers and lakes...hey buddy fishermen...I catch on regularity 2 to 4 pd trout up here.

So instead of running your pie holes and trashing a town simply based on what other idiots say about it or the crap that is spread around about it, I invite you to Berlin NH. I will open my doors to you and show you Northern Hospitality. I will take you around to all the best places and yes, even show you the worse and how the town is doing its best to clean it up.

Put your money where your mouth is. Come up here and see with your own eyes and listen to its real citizens and you will come away with a totally different attitude about Berlin. Come up here and start a business. You will see that it will not only be appreciated, but also you will find many people buying your products. The way to make this town rise from the ashes of being a paper mill town to a town that is the jewel of the North Country is to come up here and invest.

You are you worst enemy, not me. I live in Tampworth, used to live in Bartlett. I will be in Berlin over summer many times always am. I pass thru to Errol, and head to the lakes ot Colebrook from there.

Last time I was in Berlin I didn't go up thru town as i was headed to Muster in th Mountains and picked up food in the new walmart.

You sayin the bombed out look isn't there anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire