Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 AM

497 posts, read 950,193 times

Advertisements

WOW!!!

You really made you point by typing in bold and calling folks idiots....not.

I guess if a person IS familiar with the area, just because they DO NOT live there, it qualifies them as idiots in your mind????

By the way, nice run-on-sentences. That's 5th grade language arts skills.

Who's the idiot?

I hope you have your info on the owners of every building you describe as-fact, or can you say slander???

You may have to say it in bold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,543,511 times
Berlin has the best deals in New Hampshire for housing.
I lived in RI all my life but have been considering Berlin,
I played hockey there, we went up for tournaments, this
was back in around 1981.. I remember the song Come On Irene
was number 1 on the charts. I thought Berlin was really cool.
You can find houses there for next to nothing. Roads are hilly
to say the least. Don't know what else to say, been reading about
all that's going on, looking at tenements for like 20k a pop.. lol.
People would rather pay 3-4x as much to be in Manchester.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,515,402 times
"...The Other BIGGEST PROBLEM we have up here is the Conways and how they have been fighting the sorely needed bypass ..."

I am kind of curious about that. I don't even know how (or where, more particularly) a bypass road could possibly be run that would end up not taking just as long, if not longer than having to go through the somewhat nightmarish traffic that you start to run into when you get to North Conway and then downwards to Conway.

There's mountain passes on all sides, and the main roads that are there now now runs in the valley between the mountain passes (unless they intend to jam two roads in the valleys.... love to see the logistics of that), which is about the only places to put the roads, practically speaking.

I don't recollect offhand where another road could go that would provide a semi-beeline path to Berlin. Only place I can think of is due east along the Maine border (which already has a road that essentially is a bypass from Conway to Gorham - albeit, it's one hell of a long-cut, though the trade-off is it probably has little traffic.).

Old 05-31-2011, 05:47 PM

26,379 posts, read 46,272,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
"...The Other BIGGEST PROBLEM we have up here is the Conways and how they have been fighting the sorely needed bypass ..."

I am kind of curious about that. I don't even know how (or where, more particularly) a bypass road could possibly be run that would end up not taking just as long, if not longer than having to go through the somewhat nightmarish traffic that you start to run into when you get to North Conway and then downwards to Conway.

There's mountain passes on all sides, and the main roads that are there now now runs in the valley between the mountain passes (unless they intend to jam two roads in the valleys.... love to see the logistics of that), which is about the only places to put the roads, practically speaking.

I don't recollect offhand where another road could go that would provide a semi-beeline path to Berlin. Only place I can think of is due east along the Maine border (which already has a road that essentially is a bypass from Conway to Gorham - albeit, it's one hell of a long-cut, though the trade-off is it probably has little traffic.).
You are basically correct. All of the built roads already run through the MWV that could be built. The only faster way around the Conways are certain side roads that most locals know about. I have a photographic memory when it comes to remembering how to find certain roads and places so it doesn't bother me. Let all those MA tourists get stuck on 16.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:07 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,107,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Berlin has the best deals in New Hampshire for housing.
I lived in RI all my life but have been considering Berlin,
I played hockey there, we went up for tournaments, this
was back in around 1981.. I remember the song Come On Irene
was number 1 on the charts. I thought Berlin was really cool.
You can find houses there for next to nothing. Roads are hilly
to say the least. Don't know what else to say, been reading about
all that's going on, looking at tenements for like 20k a pop.. lol.
People would rather pay 3-4x as much to be in Manchester.

still deals to be had in Berlin. No work to speak of though. Quick google search shows 300 jobs - some in Maine, some in Gorham, a couple at Bretton Woods. Dollar Store has openings.

One reason people are willing to pay for property in Manchester is because there IS work available. No job means you can't pay for your home even if it is only $20K.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,543,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
still deals to be had in Berlin. No work to speak of though. Quick google search shows 300 jobs - some in Maine, some in Gorham, a couple at Bretton Woods. Dollar Store has openings.

One reason people are willing to pay for property in Manchester is because there IS work available. No job means you can't pay for your home even if it is only $20K.
well, i got the cash to buy these, no mortgage.. but am concerned
about the rental environment. If there were a good number of reliable
paying tenants perhaps the home prices wouldn't be so despressed.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,661,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
well, i got the cash to buy these, no mortgage.. but am concerned
about the rental environment. If there were a good number of reliable
paying tenants perhaps the home prices wouldn't be so despressed.

I think that is a key issue "reliable paying tenants". If you don't mind renting to people that don't acually pay you it is easy. Squeezing blood out of a rock continues to be an issue

Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,881,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post

What road is east of Conway going to Gorham? I live in Tamworth and used to live in Bartlett, and i can't figure what road you mean unless it's Rt 113 thru Hastings....

Used to be Conway and N Conway had no stores of any real meaning, and the closest place to shop was Berlin, but not any more. The flats from away came, and over ran scenic, and built Sodom and Gomorrah and are wishing they still had a airport LOL

Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,515,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
What road is east of Conway going to Gorham? I live in Tamworth and used to live in Bartlett, and i can't figure what road you mean unless it's Rt 113 thru Hastings....

Used to be Conway and N Conway had no stores of any real meaning, and the closest place to shop was Berlin, but not any more. The flats from away came, and over ran scenic, and built Sodom and Gomorrah and are wishing they still had a airport LOL
Yes, RT. 113. I never had the occasion to go down it, but it is on my list of back roads I wanted to check out to see if there was any nice scenery to be had. I know that it skirts into Maine quite a bit.

The person was talking about a potential bypass road from Conway to Berlin that they wanted built, and for the life of me I can't even see where such a bypass road could even go (not practically, anyway). Rt. 113 seems like the only bypass, but it looks like a hell of a long-cut, albeit it would avoid the congestion you sometimes get in North Conway with all the strip malls.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,881,048 times
Rt 113 is a winding random road I live just off it in Tamworth. From Rt 2 in Maine it's very scenic running down thru the town of Hastings. I thing just one brick building is left and a few traces of the CCC that was there in the depression today. The road there is rugged, and slow. The river closer to Maine on the northern end is the Cold River and they mean it I foget off hand the name on the other side if the divide (hight of land)

I guess maybe one day that might get over built like Rt 302 was at Crawfords. I recall back when Rt 302 was some steep and shifting to nurtal and getting near to 90 MPH coasting down the old road now buried in placed some 60 feet below what we drive on today.

I am not old enough to recall cars backing up that hill, but I heard tails ;D

Rt 113 is some random, people often times get lost trying to find this place after I give them directions, but maybe that's because I tend to tawk funny too.

Another thing is no one seems to know where to turn, since the landmark I use the old school burned to the ground in 1956. Why is that ?

Rt 113 follows Rt 16 a ways too, and no one know the Russian Style Train Depot anymore in Conway. Why, my Uncle Norman bought me a bad fried clam roll there once, and i will never forget that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire