Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think NH will institute a state income tax within 5 years?
Yes 12 32.43%
No 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:16 AM

147 posts, read 268,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Our nation has lost its collective mind. We are in danger of losing our soul. Everything is put into a dollars perspective, and greed has replaced honor as the trait of choice. Pitiful.
First, on taxes. The ONLY way they will get a state income tax to pass is if they give BIG property tax relief(which wont happen). A sales tax would be much preferred I would think(but business wont want that due to the influx of Mass people coming to escape sales taxes there, but NH is heavy on tourists and part-time residents), but I truly believe neither is essential. Having said this.....

I agree with Dwatted.....I would pay more for taxes if we got what we payed for, but it is all about corporate greed. Our taxes are 60% going to corporate entities in the form of subsidies/tax reductions/contracts....not including the 100s of billions we pay for national defense which is more like a trillion if you include future costs of injured/veterans affairs/medical. If a few nukes dont keep the wolves at bay...we need to go small. We need to concern ourselves with ourselves...we are not the world's police for hire by corporations and private interests! We cant even educate our own, our medical system is out of whack, and we are in debt to ourselves to the tune of almost 9 trillion/30K per living person including babies, elderly etc..... so you can easily double this for each working individual. U.S. National Debt Clock .

When will it stop? When it hurts bad enough i am afraid....and it looks and sounds to me like a locomotive coming down the tracks and very few want to look and see that this trains name is REALITY a will have very real consequences unless we make some truly painful decisions. I am afraid our great country and people are too divided to agree on much anymore....but I still HOPE!!!!!!

It seems our politicians dont want to take a stand on anything unless it is politically correct.....

Best Regards
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 14,318 times
Property taxs vary so much. for a 300,000 home in durham my friend pays almost 6,000 a year in taxes. I pay alot less in my tiny town. I think in Nashua the taxes on 300,000 home would be in the 3,500 range.

If you come from another state our taxes will either shock or please you.

Our cost to register cars often time is a shocker to out of staters.
It goes by the retail value of the car and the weight. A new SUV being a high book value and heavy may set you back well over a thousand a year, depends on the weight and value. A neighbor jsut paid 3,000 to register his wifes new SUV...yes that is for one year.

My 20 year old sedan is 300 a year to register.
I don't want to think what a new Acura would cost to register.

NH may be income tax free but it is not tax free or cheap.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I would support an Income Tax if:

It included all income from all sources
included a per family deduction of twice the median income
was used to cover at least half of the school costs
Removed the current interest and dividend tax and the rooms and meals sales tax
Provided a means of taxing corporate profits as income

I will never support a sales tax.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,396 times
For the year I moved from MD to NH, I figured my overall taxes out for both States and was amazed. I ended up paying about 1/3 LESS here in New Hampshire. With the Maryland real estate and state taxes (WITH a 48% county piggy-back tax), I am coming out WAY ahead with my property taxes here (slightly higher than MD) and no State Income Tax and no tax on living expenses. My car and homeowner's insurance and daily living expenses are less. Yes, I may pay a bit extra to register my car, but I can offset that by what type of car I choose to buy. I have found that the slower lifestyle in New Hampshire just encourages you to lay back and not fritter money away like living in the MD rat-trip did. My quality of life here is certainly MUCH higher!

I certainly hope that we don't fall for the "income tax" racket - we'll end up getting less for more, and I've never seen anything to contradict that. We had our county "taxes" lowered in MD a couple years ago, but amazingly enough my bill was HIGHER at the end of the year... some really creative "fees" showed up instead of taxes. Go figure.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
there are mumblings in the capitol every now and then about eliminating the property taxes and instituting a 3% income tax - that would be greatly beneficial to me....however, it would not work with all the billionaires that claim NH as their main residence.

3% of ONE billion is a lot more than they pay now, so 3% of billionS is way too much - I can only imagine the influx of funds this state would take in.....OR the residents would be moving south in droves.

property taxes are all over the place - some towns keep a 100% valuation at all times so the taxes creep up every year - others will hit you with a 25% increase all at once, but only every 5 years or so

In 1977 my property taxes in Derry were $700., by 1987 they were $3500, 1997 they were $7,000 (we remarked how it had increased exponentially at that time) and by 2004 they were $10,000 for a modest home on one acre. We purchased the same home but much further north and the property taxes are once again are down to $3500....

Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 PM

123 posts, read 553,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleydragon View Post
No tax, no way. There have always been rumblings.

The education funding referred to in another post relates to the Claremont Decision. It's caused a decade of upheaval here. Simply, Claremont is (was?) one of the poorer communities in our state. They sued the state for more school funding based on the fact that their kids don't (weren't?) receiving a equal education compared to other kids in the State.

The Clarmont Decision was that the State must provide an equal educational opportunity for all children, based upon the wording of our State Constitution. The legislature has been told that they must define what comprises an adequate education, then they must fund it for all communities.

Bear in mind that despite this controversy we still have some of the best education available in this country. As good or better than all those states with sales and/or income taxes. Now it will have to be funded through the State rather than by individual communities as it always has been.

Some say a sales or income tax will help with the school funding, some say a constitutional amendment will remove the obligation and we can go back to doing things the way we always have.

The bottom line is that there will be no new statewide taxes (ie sales or income) without the support of the voters, and that support is just not there.
There have always been rumblings- Yes, I am only 24, and I remember when Shaheen (at least I think it was her in office at the time) was trying to vote in a state sales tax and it never happened.

As far as education goes, on a college level, NH is ridiculously highly priced. I have $25k in student loans, and want to go back to school in the future (possibly for nursing) but since it is so expensive and would cost me another $15k or so for that nursing associates! degree, I have contemplated moving to North Carolina. However, the have state sales tax and income tax, and who knows if I would find a job while I were in school to pay the bills.. but the states that have the higher taxes have lesser education costs it seems from the research I have done on a few diff. states. I'd almost rather we have a SMALL sales tax or something (not income tax) and have less expensive college cost. But.. who am I to say.

I don't think an income tax is a good idea, and if that happens, and since it was one of the things keeping me from uprooting to NC now, I might as well go to NC right now. Ick. I hate politics.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM

354 posts, read 1,272,880 times
NH is listed as #49 of state/local tax burden. Alaska is #50 cause they get oil subsidy.
#1 is VT, #2 is Maine.
The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens Compared to Other U.S. States, 1970-2007

Don't get hung up on the high property tax.....Once you enact any other tax you will let the cat out of the bag. NH works just fine the way it is. If you choose to live in a higher tax town , then you probably have a top school system ($$$).

I always hear how high the tax is in Derry. I don't really understand it unless they buy all new fire trucks every year. I guess you would have to compare it to neighboring Londonderry, Salem , Plaistow etc. Derry does have Pinkerton Acadamy - a top notch high school.....

Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,391 times
Not to mention the low cost of doing business in New Hampshire and all the taxes associated. I continued to be bewildered how so many residents think they have it rough in this state. Not that it couldn't be better and not that I still don't think I'm getting raped on some avenues in this state, but these folks should go live a year in any other New England state, or any place in the northeast corridor. Then see how it is. No one else is even close to NH's ease of tax burden.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
"I always hear how high the tax is in Derry. I don't really understand it unless they buy all new fire trucks every year. I guess you would have to compare it to neighboring Londonderry, Salem , Plaistow etc. Derry does have Pinkerton Acadamy - a top notch high school....."

no not new fire trucks EVERY year, but they do have multiple fire stations, 6 elementary schools, two middle schools, a private high school and a slew of programs geared to sports and youth activities - the other towns mentioned can not compare

the funny thing about Derry is that they are a receiving town under the 'Claremont' revised funding plan. the taxes leveled out for a couple of years then began to rise again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire