Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

Mac - thanks for the note on Dan Hole Pond. I'll look it up.

Don't get so upset about a debate on a comment board. We are just talking after all.

The HSR to Montreal will be following, mostly except for curves, existing Right of Way that was established before the US Civil War. I know you love the woods but consider that over 90% of the current forest in NH was clear cut for grazing land and timber as recently as 1900. Now most of NH that isn't covered with trees is covered with water.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:20 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Why not do like what is done in Japan? Over there, the rail is privately owned by rail corporations.
In fact, most nations have better high speed rail than the USA does. Why not look at what they do? It seems to be working for Japan. Korea is doing it. I remeber when it became 2000, I thought of all of the technological advances and other advances that could have happened. To say the least, I am very dissapointed, and somewhat disgusted.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:15 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Too funny.......NH congressman Hodes who is going to lose the senate race next week just got a 2.4 million dollar "grant" to study rail in NH. More money down a rat-hole. Another study that is going nowhere.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Why not do like what is done in Japan? Over there, the rail is privately owned by rail corporations.
In fact, most nations have better high speed rail than the USA does. Why not look at what they do? It seems to be working for Japan. Korea is doing it. I remeber when it became 2000, I thought of all of the technological advances and other advances that could have happened. To say the least, I am very dissapointed, and somewhat disgusted.
Americans like their cars.........is this cultural trait not obvious, lol It's as simple as that. We like to go where we want to go when we want to go, and not stand around waiting for a government train. If there was money to be made on rail a private company would step in & do it.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:34 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Americans like their cars.........is this cultural trait not obvious, lol It's as simple as that. We like to go where we want to go when we want to go, and not stand around waiting for a government train. If there was money to be made on rail a private company would step in & do it.
I know this cultural trait is obvious, and it angers me somewhat. I don't have a car. I get around by bicycle or foot and sometimes the bus(and I am an American by birth and lineage, dating back to slavery). And sometimes I think the bus isn't adequate. Alot of foreign students I know come to the USA to study and quickly find out life without a car in metropolitan Atlanta is a nightmare. Some of the students I know quickly get their driver's license and try to get a car. This is done, not to fit in, but to survive. The only reason I am living where I live right now is because of cost of living. Other than that, I would have been gone a long time ago.

I am angered because I don't look at the car lifestyle as glamorous. I actually did make an attempt to learn how to drive. It scared the daylights out of me. If I were to get in a car and drive at this very second, I would get in a wreck. I need an environment that suits me. And personally, I see the dependence on cars as not very good. Cars require gasoline, insurance, car payments if you can't afford to by it in cash(and not everyone is approved for a car loan. I have bad credit so I wouldn't be approved, not to mention, the payments for a car would be more expensive that what I currently pay for rent).

I am also a bit perturbed because of this: This is 2010. This is the United States of America. Other nations like Japan, South Korea, Germany, and other various nations have high speed rail and have had it before 2000. I thought that when 2000 came around, things would advance and get better. Well, here it is 2010 and nothing gets done right. Yes, computer technology and the internet has changed. TV has changed. Unfortunately, the way other things are done, change is slow or many people resist it. I don't care if this is a "car culture". I say things need to get done and done quickly.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Well pirate_lafitte you do understand that your personal need for public transportation, or train service is not the best way to set public transportation policy for the whole nation, or at least I hope you do.

This simple fact stands out concerning commuter train service in NH: The billions of dollars it would cost to set up this systen & run it would never be used by more than 5% of the states population. It's not a rational, or cost effective choice for NH.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Well pirate_lafitte you do understand that your personal need for public transportation, or train service is not the best way to set public transportation policy for the whole nation, or at least I hope you do.

This simple fact stands out concerning commuter train service in NH: The billions of dollars it would cost to set up this systen & run it would never be used by more than 5% of the states population. It's not a rational, or cost effective choice for NH.
It would not cost billions and billions. Only the Private planned HSL line would , but thats Private. It would cost no more then 600 million. About 60% of the Population of NH would have access to the commuter rail system. The Northeastern USA is the best place for Rail and HSR since were so dense. HSR is for connecting larger towns and cities. The line between , Boston and Montreal would have only 4 stops. I'm sure alot of people wouldn't mind the project as long as its built in phases. Which is called for , your not all getting this at the same time. The Concord line is going first and should be up by the end of the decade , the Portsmouth line will follow , then the Rochester and Lawrence line. The HSL depends on what happens on the planned Montreal - NY line , after thats built then your line will be built. I don't see the problem here , your building an 800 million $$ Widened I-93. Ive never heard any valid reason why the Private can't go through....... This opposition used to happen on the NJ board , but i taught them all the different types of Rail and cost / benefit factors and after a while they changed there opinions. Railways and Public Transportation are a complex and often misinformed topic. I suggest you sit down and research it more , then you might understand it better. Start with all the different systems and then research the impact its had on towns and cities.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 10-25-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM

There is no Concord line that will be up by the end of the decade. It does not exist except in your head. There are NO firm plans for ANY train lines in NH to be built. There are studies by the famous "blue ribbion committes" that take years & years & go no where. You are making this up as I have said over & over again. Lol, only 600 million. Whatever. BTW when NH turns RED next week there will be zero chance of any commuter rail lines coming up here. Post the link that shows where the Concord NH rail line hs been approved to be built. If you can't.....stop trolling.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Pirate Laffite, it looks like you have never been to frozen over New Hampsta.

Let me help with that map. South central has a red place, that's annexed to Mass about, and called Nashua where the train won't stop. The next red place up is Manchester, where maybe the train will stop, a good bet it will if it ever gets built. So if you ride a pedal bike that ride would be a easy 25 miles since you can't ride the toll roads on a pedal bike. The next red spec is Concord the capital, and one that if you blinked 3 times on the interstate would miss. I doubt the train will stop in Concord which is just 17 miles up from Manch.

Evidently there the train makes a hard left loosely, and goes Nor' West to the only red place on the western NH border with Vermont.

I guess it won't stop there either.

So this is evidently where the "60% of people served" in NH would have to come from in the first place. Not very much and i highly doubt the figures of any 60%.

This is a pipe dream.

Just remember Walmart never ever ruined any communities, and every mom and pop store with any local flavor will not be harmed. They will be just FINE

Now let me explain about on that map where I am. Start at the top, and you have Coo's County, you say it Kay oss, on the right (east) side the next one down is Carrol County. Central there in the green 20 to 50 ppl per sq mile is where I live.

It takes me one hour to just get to I-93 and then another down that to get to Concord, and that is driving or riding a vehical with some sort of engine no less than 1,600 cc's.

Now that one red place on the western border is Lebanon/Hanover, again where the train won't stop. From the point on the map where I am all the way to over there and just a smidgen north is the White Mountains National Forest, which has 2 major corridors thru it each respective to the mountains and the passes which are all North/South lines due to the mountains, and for no other reason than the mountains are smack in the way.

So at the best there is 2 stops IF the trains stops in Concord at all, that will serve the whole of NH. Ha Ha Ha....... But ALL of the tax payers in NH will PAY HARD FOR.

Trains are for flat places, not my mountians. This guy has found a few flat places they can hook up and sneak a so called high speed train thru, for 'no particular reason'. I think he must be related to Forest Gump

OT: some one else is paying hard at the moment. On the news, 2 lost hikers caught in the dark with no flashlights called the rescue squad out via cell phones ha ha ha. Little do they know this service has a steep cost to get rescued. 1 they were lucky they had any cell service to begin with. 2 They were lucky it isn't close to winter time. 3 They are more lucky, they don't post here because i would mock them half to death.

I navigate after dark at -40 below 0 all the time, and don't need any stinkin flash lights. The killer is am a old man.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:55 PM

88 posts, read 189,844 times
Let's put all of this in perspective. First, N.H. doesn't want or need a rail line and there is no economic reason to build one - except in the New Jersey guy's head. He wants it just because, well, he wants it. My advice - stay in New Jersey - Snooki needs you. Second, Boston to Montreal rail is a fantasy for the N.J. guy. There is no fact supporting anything he stated. Third, there is a need for high speed rail- between major metropolitan areas - ie - Acela or Chicago to St. Louis, Seattle to Portland to San Francisco to L.A. to San Diego, Phoenix to Dallas to Houston etc. but to New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine makes no sense and is economic nightmare. So, N.J. put your delusions back in the box - be happy in N.J. where you can video tape all the rail traffic you want. I don't think N.H. is going to roll out the red carpet for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire