Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Ive done , RI , MA , CT , NJ , SE PA in my 2040 Rail plan project.....ive finally reached NH. The 2040 Master Rail plan is a collection of DOT , Transit Agencies and Amtrak Rail restoration and expansion plans. Ive also taken plans form really deep in the "New England Rail Fanning network". NH has 3 Railways planned. The Problem is you need to wait for Massachusetts to restore the lines into your state for your state to do anything. The Amtrak plans call for double tracking a few lines ie the Downeaster and one day extending Amtrak Regional up into NH. Also possible Electrification of the Downeaster line. There is Also a proposed True High Speed line (220mph+) between Boston and Montreal that would cut through the heart of NH and VT. It would most likely be built privately. So what do you NH folks think?

The Italicized stations are the new ones.....

Planned / Proposed lines

Concord / Lowell line - 74mi
Stations @
North Station , West Medford , Wedgemere , Winchester Center , Mishawum , Anderson RTC , Wilmington , North Billerica , Lowell , North Chelmsford , Tyngsborough , Nashua , Merrimack , Manchester Airport , Downtown Manchester , Southern NH University , Hooksett , Concord

Service : Every 30-60 mins bi-directional
Northern Terminus : Downtown Concord
Southern Terminus : North Station Boston

Portsmouth / Newburyport line - 57 mi

Stations @
North Station , Chelsea , Lynn , Swampscott , Salem , Beverly Depot , North Beverly , Hamilton/Wenham , Ipswich , Rowley , Newburyport , Salisbury , Seabrook , Hampton , Portsmouth

Service : Every 30-60 mins bi-directional
Northern Terminus : Downtown Portsmouth

Rochester / Haverhill line - 85 mi

Stations @
North Station , Malden Center , Wyoming Hill , Melrose/Cedar Park , Melrose Highlands , Greenwood , Wakefield , Reading , North Wilmington , Ballardville , Andover , Lawrence , Bradford , Haverhill
, Plaistow , Exeter , Newmarket , Durham , Dover , Somersworth , Rochester

Service : Every 45-60 mins bi-directional
Northern Terminus : Downtown Rochester

Northeast / Mid - Atlantic 2040-2050- Rail Map for SSC / SSP /CD - Google Maps

Last edited by DarkWolf; 10-21-2010 at 03:24 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Cool ideas! It would be great to eventually have the option for public transportation to alleviate congestion on the highways. Those lines seem pretty logical to me.

It's pretty amazing how many railways still exist in NH from before the Automobile Age but are no longer used. There was a train station in my little home town of Bristol up until the 1930s, which seems pretty amazing in retrospect. It would be wonderful to be able to hop on the train in town and cruise through the countryside.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:25 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
I think the .gov shouldn't be spending money on things that lose money and more importantly they shouldn't be shuffling people around on my dime.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
I think the .gov shouldn't be spending money on things that lose money and more importantly they shouldn't be shuffling people around on my dime.
Actually these lines would more than likely be profitable. The northeast regional lines pull something like 13 cents a passenger/mile in profit. The most non-profitable lines are those like the Sunset Limited which connects New Orleans, Houston, and Los Angeles...it also loses almost 50 cents for every passenger mile. Amtrak attempted to shut down the line but was blocked my both democratic & republican congressman. Same situation for other non-profitable routes...closure blocked by congress (both parties). It's a big joke really.

That said...rail is pretty awesome when its actually connecting places where people will use it...like here.

Last edited by BF66389; 10-21-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Not to mention that an investment in rail development now will mean less money spent on highway construction and maintenance. More people using the train also means less air pollution from cars, which translates into fewer tax dollars being used to clean up the mess, including destruction from natural weather events (i.e. floods) from a climate warmed by greenhouse gases.

As long as there is demand, trains are a great thing.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
As long as there is demand, trains are a great thing.
Yeah...It's amazing how un-profitable some of the "forced to keep open" lines are. I'd love to see some well-used & profitable rail lines around.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM

The Manchester / Concord line will add another 15-20,000 riders to the already 12,570 Lowell line users. Its at the top of the list , followed by the Portsmouth line and Rochester line. The Portsmouth line would add another 8-12,000 riders to the already 18,000 Newburyport / Rockport lines. The Rochester line would only add between 5-8,000 more riders to the already 10,000 Haverhill Riders. But the Rochester line is in the Category of to early to known. Theres also rumblings of a proposed Manchester Streetcar network of 4-7 lines. All these restored lines would bring tens of billions in New Transit / Rail Developments in Manchester , Nashua , Portsmouth , Concord , and Rochester. These lines would bring millions in Tourist $$$.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
What about the line going up to Plymouth?...I was an undergraduate student there for 4 1/2 years. However, I had to take the uncomfortable buses to Plymouth. Anyway, there used to be a railroad going all the way through Plymouth...the tracks are still there. Why not even extend the line to the White Mountains or even up to Berlin?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Actually these lines would more than likely be profitable. The northeast regional lines pull something like 13 cents a passenger/mile in profit. The most non-profitable lines are those like the Sunset Limited which connects New Orleans, Houston, and Los Angeles...it also loses almost 50 cents for every passenger mile. Amtrak attempted to shut down the line but was blocked my both democratic & republican congressman. Same situation for other non-profitable routes...closure blocked by congress (both parties). It's a big joke really.

That said...rail is pretty awesome when its actually connecting places where people will use it...like here.
I'm all for it if a private company wants to do it without any taxpayer money.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
I'm all for it if a private company wants to do it without any taxpayer money.
Why does it have to be private , why can't the state do it? You build roads , those are not private.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire