Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 AM

25 posts, read 189,898 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on an ideal place to rent a home that would work well for my husband who will be working in Portsmouth and I possibly working in Boston?

We'd like to be able to live in between the two spots so the commute won't be too bad for either of us.

Or, is it better to live between Portsmouth and Maine? We're looking for a single family home in the $1,200 - $1,500 per month range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM

63 posts, read 187,232 times
Any recommendations on an ideal place to rent a home that would work well for my husband who will be working in Portsmouth and I possibly working in Boston?

Lots of options, but i would first figure out how you plan to get to Boston and if you are going to be commuting there for sure.

We'd like to be able to live in between the two spots so the commute won't be too bad for either of us.

If you will for sure be working in Boston i would look at the transportation options, and figure it out from there

If you will be driving...
I'd recommend looking at places like Exeter/Kensington (small town but cute downtown/also home of Exeter academy). Also check out Hampton. Good location for driving to both Portsmouth and Boston. If Hampton, look for North Hampton and NOT the Hampton Beach area. Hampton Beach proper is a commercialized (not much character) and very crowed in the summer, while Hampton is completely different (in a good way). The beach areas in Hampton are very nice and far less crowded. Driving to Boston from either would take 1-1 1/2 hours depending on time of day and traffic/weather.
Exeter is 1/2 hour drive to Portsmouth and Hampton a bit closer.

If you were going to use public transportation:
C & J Trailways bus out of Portsmouth to South Station in BostonC&J Trailways or the commuter train out of Newburyport MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System to North Station. The bus is a very nice, comfortable ride and the train is, well its the train. There is also the Amtrak train from Dover or Exeter into North Station.
(copied from another thread)

Exeter/Kensington would be a great choice. Or Portsmouth if you like a larger town (30,000ish people) I'd recommend looking at both places to see what would be a better fit for your lifestyle. Exeter has a small town feel (but a very cute downtown) Portsmouth downtown is very active (in a good way) lots of good restaurants, theater, local bands and entertainment, and neat shops.
Also consider Dover. The rentals here would be a bit cheaper than Exeter or Portsmouth, and Dover also has a nice downtown that is a bit less of a scene than Portsmouth. I consider Dover to be a bit more up and coming town (also has a population for around 30k). Dover has a nice down town, and a nice community feel. (We recently bought a home here to semi-retire to in a few years) As compared to Portsmouth that seems to be getting a bit yuppified. The downside with Dover is the commute to Boston would take 15+ minutes longer than either Exeter or Portsmouth.

Or, is it better to live between Portsmouth and Maine? We're looking for a single family home in the $1,200 - $1,500 per month range.

Basically, Portsmouth abuts Maine (only a river separates them) so it isn't really possibly to live between them.

Good luck in your search!!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 AM

66 posts, read 297,323 times
Check out the NH craigslist.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 AM

639 posts, read 3,521,652 times
Also while you're at it, check the town of Amesbury, Massachusetts for rentals, go to Realtor dot com and plug in the various prices for buying and it'll give you a list of homes for sale, well what I do is jot down those real estate agents and you could give them a call for rentals and if they don't have or know of any, go to the next one, that's all, keep going with it, until you get what you want out of them! ALSO seacoast online dot com is a good source for New Hampshire rentals and sales. GO to that site too. I think you'd like this town of Amesbury myself. You'd be seconds away from Newburyport from the seacoast and from Boston. It would be way too expensive to actually live in Newburyport, but you'd have the best of all these worlds living NEAR them all! You might luck out and get something in Amesbury. Definitely try Craigslist as the previous poster suggested, it's a fantastic tool on the internet these days. See what you can get, also go right to these various towns when you're actually here visiting and see the real estate agents in those towns. If you want to be in Massachusetts. I-495 and I-95 are right there for the town of Amesbury and also it's not a bad commute to Boston or to Portsmouth at all.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Great info - thanks a bunch. BTW, how cold does it get during the winter months?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,908,791 times
This is helpful advice, but please remember that when you call the agent who has the property listed (whether for sale or for rent) that they are working for the property owner. They are not working for you, their job is to get the home sold or rented for the highest possible price. Whether buying or selling, find an agent who is working for you (doesn't cost you anything)

I agree that Craigslist is a great resource, for whatever you may be looking for (rental, roommate, whatever household items you may be looking for). owner. Remember that it's craigslist dot org (not dot com) LOTS of good stuff there!!

Amesbury is a GREAT town, it's come such a long way from where it was several years ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
Also while you're at it, check the town of Amesbury, Massachusetts for rentals, go to Realtor dot com and plug in the various prices for buying and it'll give you a list of homes for sale, well what I do is jot down those real estate agents and you could give them a call for rentals and if they don't have or know of any, go to the next one, that's all, keep going with it, until you get what you want out of them! ALSO seacoast online dot com is a good source for New Hampshire rentals and sales. GO to that site too. I think you'd like this town of Amesbury myself. You'd be seconds away from Newburyport from the seacoast and from Boston. It would be way too expensive to actually live in Newburyport, but you'd have the best of all these worlds living NEAR them all! You might luck out and get something in Amesbury. Definitely try Craigslist as the previous poster suggested, it's a fantastic tool on the internet these days. See what you can get, also go right to these various towns when you're actually here visiting and see the real estate agents in those towns. If you want to be in Massachusetts. I-495 and I-95 are right there for the town of Amesbury and also it's not a bad commute to Boston or to Portsmouth at all.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,614,264 times
A good place to rent in your situation would be directly in Portsmouth, and if you can use the luxury C&J busses to commute to boston.

Or in Newburyport, MA and take the train into boston. I think its the last stop for this boston subway train. Only 10 minutes from portsmouth.

So many people live in Portsmouth that commute to Boston these days, the traffic will drive you insane. While it might seem fun at first, it fades quick after traffic from a few accidents.

Sit back and enjoy the ride with public transportation. Talk on the phone, use your laptop, read a book, nap, etc. The C&J busses even have XM radio built into every seat.

- Hampton NH Toll Booth - Every Friday night from 3pm till dark get ready for miles of traffic waiting to get through the toll booth to vacation in Maine and NH.

- Rt 128 in Boston - Get ready for hours and hours of traffic just to get out of Boston metro area

Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 AM

Great info. Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 PM

Any recommendations where to find a good bible-based christian church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire