Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM

259 posts, read 599,266 times

Advertisements

I'd like to find a farm or market where I can get fresh eggs (*real* cage-free, free-range eggs). Does anyone know of a farm or market within 30 miles of Manchester where I can buy eggs like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM

88 posts, read 195,508 times
I don't know the names of any local egg-sellers off the top of my head, but I see them so often, I can't imagine a little investigating won't find a dozen locations! Mont Vernon, my hometown, has MULTIPLE sources, and I see houses with signs out front and often at craft fairs and the like with eggs/produce/cheeses/etc for sale.
Here are two online resources I found:

NH Eggs
Raw milk in NH

Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 PM

88 posts, read 195,508 times
PS - Jennings family Farm, listed under the second link, makes AMAZING CHEESE. Seriously, try it.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,172,106 times
Merrill Farms in north Londonderry has fresh eggs. They have an honor system where you can pick them up off their porch during the week. Convenient for you off of Mammoth Road about three miles south of the Mall of New Hampshire: Merrill Farms – Visit Londonderry (http://visitlondonderry.com/agrativities/merril-farms/ - broken link)

I also see signs in front of houses all over the place although I can't remember where now, but if you go for a drive out of Manchester east on Candia Road, it turns into Route 121 which goes around Lake Massabesic through Auburn and Chester, then turn right (southwest) at Route 102 back towards Derry, and I'm pretty sure you will find some. You can then turn right (north) at Route 28 which takes you back up to Massabesic and Candia Road for a nice loop drive through some pretty countryside. You will also see a sign for the Audubon Center on the right off of 28 almost to Massabesic which is always a nice place to visit, say hi to the owl and go for a stroll: N.H. Audubon Center (http://www.nhaudubon.org/center_masa.php - broken link)

Sorry, got off track there. If I see some when I'm out driving around, I will come back and let you know where they are.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,105,070 times
fresh eggs for sale on Route 102, Derry near the Derry/Chester town line. Sorry, don't know the number of the house, but see the signs all the time.

Also, the Nunley Farm in Amherst has raw milk AND fresh eggs. Additionally, there is Harrison's Poultry Farm on Tower Hill Rd., Candia, and the Jackson Farm on Hart Roberts Rd., Chester.

Last edited by buck naked; 12-15-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks, folks! This is really helpful.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,048,331 times
The gas station in Hollis. Owner's wife has chickens and sells the eggs in a small fridge inside the stations office.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,552,077 times
I am not going to tell you mine because her hens are on a work slowdown this winter. BTW Merrills is a good source for really fresh eggs and PYO apples. Try Mack's Apples (Moose Hill Farm) on rt 128 in Londonderry for variatal apples in season.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,897,208 times
In springtime, my favorite farmer (who happens to be a construction guy that sings while he works!) will most likely be increasing his flock once again. I'll let you know when eggs are available. Previously, his flock (70 or so chickens!) was totally and completely free-range/cage-free. They were called into the (secure) chick house at night and let out in the morning, free to run around the yard eating bugs (ticks!), scratching up the flowers and doing what chicken's do (the yard is very fertile, let's leave it at that). As you can imagine, there is an increase of predators that come a callin' knowing that the buffet is open. Hawks, foxes, raccoons, etc. I'm not sure how he can protect them while they are running free, but that's not my department. He had a goose that was a pretty good protector for awhile, till someone bigger and meaner came along (coyote, maybe?) Anyway, we are planning to contribute a dozen or two chicks when they're available, along with some empty egg containers that I've been saving M

Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks, Val. I can't think of anyone I'd rather buy eggs from. :-) He told me some stories about the hawks. It must be tough to keep a flock going under those conditions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire