Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Pics of what? Snow? It's rained for over 24 hours now, and the snow pack here hasn't really changed, and is still waist deep.

Where in NH you plan to be makes a big difference. How close to mountains you are, how high the location is, and other things matter.

Tamworth gets a lot of snow, more than some surrounding towns do. A lot of the reason this is so, is due to the Ossipee Range just to my south less than 4 miles away and then the other ranges just to my north. Snow gets funneled into here, jambed between these 2 ranges.

What kind of pics are you looking for?

Peg, we are higher on the land than anything else, but in the right rains and snow melt the cellar can flood. I have already driven the Bob Cat up on the lawn to the house and removed a lot of snow pack, but it has snowed and ice damed since. I hope I don't have to ruin the lawn with the Bob Cat again, but I just might. I didn't ruin it last time since the ground was froze hard, but it might not be so frozen now. Maybe the snow blower will cut it, but I am not sure.

I was worried about the rains too, but so far so good. On a sugarin' board some guys in NH had a run in the rain, which seems odd. I guess I'll go check my buckets today, and gather any sap I might have. I am not expecting to bring a drop home today, but might by Wednesday afternoon. (Maybe)
We've been eying a house in Plymouth. I like the area - close to the mountains, and smallish town that is still <40 miles from Concord.

Just wanted to see general pics. See if it's just one frozed melted block of ice, or if its still somewhat in the snow form. I'm used to the powder out here in Colorado, and although I'm sure it isn't as dry there, I'm hoping it's not the same crud I remember from Long Island.

Is basement flooding pretty common occurrence there, and if it is, what are the remedies to it? I remember the house we've been considering had some water puddling in the basement, and was just curious to the causes and the remedies.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Well No snow here is like any snow in Co for starters. This year the snow fall as natural was drier than many other years, something remarkable IMO, as I enjoy snow in around 36 forms, not talking ice... Tamworth is apx 25 miles almost due east of Plymouth, and I really like that town. In summer my wife delights the shopping in art stores there.

I haven't been over that way since I can't ride my motorcycle and don't have any reason to go there with out a motorcycle

I bet they are waist deep in snow outside the town direct.

Local places to there sure will be. That town Haverhill gets a lot of storms that surpass most towns to the west for the height and for the way the mts are formed.

I like that town too for the wild weather.

Little dink weed towns to the west and south of Rt 25 west of Plymouth are pretty remote and very hilly. Very scenic riding, but these places in winter do get locked up tight.

Over here we are surely family jewels high in snow and it rained most fo the day ending at apx 36 hours of rain which didn't make a dent in the snow base i can see, other than make it wet, real heavy, and softer.

I checked sugar buckets on snow shoes and it wasn't much fun, slogging in knee deep heavy snow IN the snow shoes.

Thing is I love this weather, and you might not like it. If snow is a hassel to you this place will be living hell. For me shoveling the barn is living hell, but I can do it in 2 days hard work if I have no help.

Basements flooding depends on the house, where it is and how you deal with snow and IF it rains hard. This place flooded the first year and got damp the 3rd year here. Since then I do something about it, before rains can come.

And in part the lawn wasn't made right... The land by rights should slope away from a dwelling and there is wrong places on the north side yard, where the land doesn't exactly run to the dwelling but is sort of neutral.

Some older houses like mill houses were built right in moved river beds and will flood each year.

Some places need a pump.. I am sure that is the same in some places in Co too.

This house has a place for a pump but not in the right place.... it is never wet there... Go figure.

About how old are the houses your looking at in Plymouth? That might lend an idea or two......

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Some places need a pump.. I am sure that is the same in some places in Co too.

About how old are the houses your looking at in Plymouth? That might lend an idea or two......
Thanks for the info!!

The house we are looking at was built in 2002 if I recall correctly. It's also on a bunch of land as I like to shoot my guns pretty frequently and want enough of a buffer so as not to **** off the neighbors. Also, have ample amount of trees is important as I plan on installing a wood burning gassification boiler to heat the house.

Not many basements here in Colorado. Probably less than 5% of the houses have basements, and perhaps even less than that.

With only 9" ( yes, that's inches) of TOTAL precipitation per year here, flooding isn't an issue. Heck, growing anything is pretty futile.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
2002 house should be fine.... I would expect things like dual pane windows if they were poor quality would be bad or replaced, same thing with exterior doors. The roof should be in good to fair shape.

I have never been to Co..... Wghere do you put ater heaters furnaces and that like in a house there? here these items and landery are usually in the basements, as well as 'family rooms' if there will be one... Most cellars these days here are drier than not, and can be counted on to stay around 50 degrees year round..... Warmer in winter with little efforts to get it there and cooler in summer, making the cellar family room idea work better.

If you wish you can dm me any time and we could chat it up more, but if not you will do ok with out any advice of mine. I just do a lot of odd jobs sometimes take a look at places, as I see things most people miss. I can witch out where old gardens were at older places and sort of tell how a place will winter. Sometimes I get hired for this and sometimes it's for fun.. Entirely up to you..

If you had a list after the spring thaw so I could ride a mc and it was a 10 house list i could go look at each before you come, and might never know if you came here at all.

To me the internet is just a big library.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire