U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 13,002 times
I've about had it with the Berlin Bashing by you idiots.

First off, the river was NEVER orange from pollution and the river itself is cleaning up nicely from the sulfur deposits that were left behind from the mills. As for none of the mills being here any longer and all of them having been torn down, where the heck did you get your information from? There is still the Cascades Mill and the main mill building and one stack is left downtown on the Burgess Street Mill as it was once called.

As for crime and criminals, come on!!!! You make it sound like we have a rampant crime here and you could not be further than the truth. Yeah we do have crime here, but we have had one murder in this town, due to idiots doing a home invasion and it was one of the home invaders who got killed and the other shot, but as far as hardcore crime? The worst are the speeders and drunk drivers, very little in the way of what you would call hardcore crime. If we are so damn crime ridden like some of you suggested, then why do I walk around with a $3,000.00 camera outfit, taking nature and wildlife photos all hours of the day and night without fear? I have walked the downtown area at 1 and 2 in the morning without fear at all.

Yeah you idiots have NEVER lived here and you do not have one iota of a clue as to what this town is really about. There are alot of damn fine people living here, damn good businesses that are in fact thriving and we are cleaning up the problems we do have up here. So before you open your mouth to show how stupid you are, shut your trap and listen to people who really live here and know what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 PM

19,115 posts, read 10,974,172 times
I am not sure if that river ever ran oprange, but others in upper NE sure did. I come from Great Northern Paper people.

Hiking in the Whites on the northern end of the range has made me ill breathing that garbage.

True i didn't 'live' in Berlin, but passed thru many times living in Bartlett.

How are the Berlin Boys these days anyway?

Last time i rode thru there on my bike, the place looked like Dresenden Germany after the war. And there was no war in Berlin.

I am sure there are some fine folks living there, but that town has lived it's life and is dead, unless new blood comes.

I wouldn't go swimming below the dam and Gorham if I were you. And if you do, don't stir up the bottom a bit.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 13,002 times
Default Hey Mac

Moving to Berlin, is it that scary?-berlin-3-.jpg

Moving to Berlin, is it that scary?-berlin-10-.jpg

Moving to Berlin, is it that scary?-berlin-31-.jpg

Moving to Berlin, is it that scary?-berlin-34-.jpgYou opened your mouth now you are gonna have to deal with me.

First off Mac. you said you never "lived" in Berlin but passed through it many times while living in Bartlett. I lived in Bartlett and to get to Berlin from 302 you would have to come up either route 16N or around to Littleton then down route 2 to Berlin. So I am calling you a damn liar. As for Berlin looking like Dresden after the bombing....your so full of it your eyes are brown and your breath stinks. Yeah we do have some problem buildings around here thanks to the slumlords Joseph and Christine Dimauro, but Berlin has a fine stock of housing and businesses that are second to none through this damn state. Come and take a real look at what the downtown looks like during the summer time. It is incredible how the business people and residents beautify this city with the gardens.

I have hiked the Northern Presidentials many times. You are full of crap about the air there.What more than likely made you ill was not the air of the Presidentials, but the fact you do not get out too much or you smoke and it is your lungs rejecting the pure clean air of the mountains for the air you polluted your own lungs with.

I am a nature photographer who specializes in photographing the Northern Presidentials, the Mahousic Range, the Carter Range, and all the other ranges in the area. I have been to the tops of these mountains many times. Mt Adams, Mt Madison. Mt Jefferson. and Mt Washington. The air there is so clean and clear it makes your lungs hurt. Not from pollution but from the cleanliness of the air. Yeah once in a while we do have a inversion up on the upper elevations, but it is from the pollution coming from the cities like Boston, New York and other polluting states and not from Berlin because there has not been the pollutants pumped into the air for years since the mills did close down.

As for this town lived it's life. Again, you are full of crap. This town has risen from the ashes before with people who truly believe in it. It will rise again. Do you honestly think I would have invested $50,000 to open a business up here...a highly successful business, if I thought it had died and would not be resurrected? Here let me answer that for you....HELL NO!!!!!

As for you Aptor...yeah we have sex offenders living in this town, just like all towns. In Berlin we have 8 registered sex offenders. In Gorham we have three. How many does Manchester have? How many does Dover have? How many does Concord have? Hundreds you idiot. The crime here in Berlin/Gorham compared to all other towns in NH is barely registrable. Again, yeah we have crime, but it is mostly petty, traffic tickets, underage kids possessing cigarettes or booze, an occasional burglary and sex offense, but mostly just bull hockey petty crimes like kids throwing snowballs at cars. So shut your trap about making it seem like this town is nothing but sex offenders and hard core criminals because it is not. Go to Manchester or the other big cities and you have one hundred times more chance of getting raped, murdered, robbed, etc than you EVER WILL in the Berlin/Gorham area.

So Mac and Aptor and all the rest of you who know nothing about what you speak, I highly doubt you have ever truly been on the Presidential range let alone even near Berlin and are one of those idiots who opens their mouth and speaks of nothing they know about.

Last edited by Windwalker0369; 03-28-2011 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: To add photos and clean up language

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM

998 posts, read 1,353,701 times
Hey Windwalker - lighten up!

You probably would get your point across much better if you were not such an ass.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 PM

19,115 posts, read 10,974,172 times
LOL Windy.... What a hoot you are. Name the hutmaster who was robbed by the berlins boys, he was shot as well. The hut was at carter notch.

I used to be a part time winter care taker for the RMC, and have better than 40 dead winter trips in the whites for new years and presidents weeks.. Years and years after years, yer full of crap. LOL

I don't get the I don't know how to get to Berlin HELL. From Bartlett you take 302 east to Rt 16 and just stay on Rt 16.

In summer riding my motorcycle I make loops around the state for grins, and might well take Rt 302 to Rt 115, to Rt 2, to Rt 16 to get to Berlin, and I might pass HELL up and stay on Rt 2 and come back down thru Hastings.(Rt 113)

I didn't quite catch where the lie was either.

This is me dustin my brothers ashes in the wind, on Mt Jefferson.

Naw man I never summit nuthin......

Now lets see a picture of the old Gray Knob, the old Craig Camp, the old 'Log Cabin', In dead winter. Also who was 'goldie'?

You have the right 'tude for a Berln Boy....

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 03-28-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker0369 View Post
I've about had it with the Berlin Bashing by you idiots.

First off, the river was NEVER orange from pollution and the river itself is cleaning up nicely from the sulfur deposits that were left behind from the mills. As for none of the mills being here any longer and all of them having been torn down, where the heck did you get your information from? There is still the Cascades Mill and the main mill building and one stack is left downtown on the Burgess Street Mill as it was once called.

As for crime and criminals, come on!!!! You make it sound like we have a rampant crime here and you could not be further than the truth. Yeah we do have crime here, but we have had one murder in this town, due to idiots doing a home invasion and it was one of the home invaders who got killed and the other shot, but as far as hardcore crime? The worst are the speeders and drunk drivers, very little in the way of what you would call hardcore crime. If we are so damn crime ridden like some of you suggested, then why do I walk around with a $3,000.00 camera outfit, taking nature and wildlife photos all hours of the day and night without fear? I have walked the downtown area at 1 and 2 in the morning without fear at all.

Yeah you idiots have NEVER lived here and you do not have one iota of a clue as to what this town is really about. There are alot of damn fine people living here, damn good businesses that are in fact thriving and we are cleaning up the problems we do have up here. So before you open your mouth to show how stupid you are, shut your trap and listen to people who really live here and know what is going on.
That is wonderful that you like Berlin!! NH truly has a place for almost everybody doesn't it Go to it and make Berlin great then

Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,295 times
I can tell you from experience stay the hell away from Berlin, New Hampshire. I live here but i am moving.
The city water is so bad I have developed a nasal infection and I am currently on anti-biotic This town was bought and sold over many years ago. These companies came in polluted dumped and left the ruined buildings behind and the town coffers empty, while the companies declared chapter 11 and screwed. Now the town has turned into a prison town and with that all the riff you can imagine has now moved in to be near family in prison. The town is en sconced surrounded with low lifes of every type, of all sorts living in these old buildings which are falling apart on section eight welfare rent vouchers. I am warning you do not move here, drinking, drugs fighting, rap music loud car exhausts all night long this is no place to raise a family do not come here. The property taxes are extremely high the city hall is broke and the homes are worthless the town is completely broke. if you buy a home in berlin New Hampshire your not only dum your stoopid and yes then you truly do belong here with the un-educated high school drop outs and convicts that hang around until they go back to prison. their are other nice places to live in new hampshire with nice educated people who are excellent neighbors
Berlin, New Hampshire is not that town. Colebrook is nice Columbia is nice. Living in Berlin, new Hampshire is a living hell on earth. If your foolish enough to come here make sure you have protection.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 AM

499 posts, read 517,286 times
Yea;
Ol' wind goes bashing people and they delete my post hitting back a bit...

good job mods

Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 22,037 times
Default Well...

My husband works in Berlin, and we live in Groveton. Both towns have been hit hard by the closing of the paper mills. My husband is being transferred this summer, so we are leaving the area, and I can honestly say that I have mixed emotions. On the one hand, it's really nice to live in a small town (which Berlin basically is). People know you, watch out for each other, etc. There isn't any crime to speak of, and the surrounding areas are beautiful. Great if you like to be outside!

On the other hand...there is no money left in this area, and it's starting to show. The school systems are way below par, the town maintenance in Berlin is awful, and there is no work to speak of. I don't think it's quite as bad as some of the other posters have made it sound, but it isn't great.

My mom always said that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is...so if you are getting a 3 bedroom house for $30,000, well, there's a reason why people want to leave the area.

Other towns have more to offer. I really have liked living in Groveton. We have an amazing neighborhood, and I hate to leave it. Good luck to you wherever you choose to live!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,137 times
Hello,
I found your posting and it is running along the same lines as mine. Did you already move to Berlin? It is a area that we are looking into also. The pictures all seem beautiful. It does seem like a old town, but has lots of character. I have young children too and have so many questions for such a huge move. I will check back here to see if you respond. I look forward to chatting with someone that is going down the same avenue as us.
Thanks
Christine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire