Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

I like this cooler weather just fine. It's a tad harsh on my broken finger, but I can warm it pretty well. The really good thing is there is no dammnned black flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Any cold wimps in the NE may want to start planning your move south now.

Joe Bastardi's forecast sounds even more hysterical than usual. He's "completely rattled" by what he sees going on and says that the trend is toward colder winters and something's going on that's "bigger than you and me and all of us together." He makes mention of some papers from the 90s by some Russian astrophysicists that said the 2010 sunspot cycle was going to be next to nothing and that it would launch us into a mini ice age by 2030.

AccuWeather.com - Weather Video - Bastardi: "A La Nina That Is King?... More Cold to Follow!" (http://www.accuweather.com/video/756131056001/bastardi-a-la-nina-that-is-k.asp?channel=vbbastaj - broken link)

Also, a guy by the name of Piers Corbyn, who claims an 85% accuracy rate in his predictions (he can be found on YouTube), is saying much the same thing - that we're slipping into an ice age.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 AM

Great news, I love it cold. We have had no -40 this year and none last year. I hope we get a month of -50 at mid night soon, and -20 at noon. No dammned bugs! Maybe not even snow fleas..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Not such great news when you consider how it may affect the food supply. The cold on Bastardi's map goes way down south.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Way to cold tonight I'm wearing two sweatshirts while watching TV with my doggie! BRRRRRRR!

Just remember the new slogan on the NH license plates should definitely be " Live, Freeze & Cry".

Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
I don't mind the cold either...kills off the invasive species as I've mentioned before.

Likewise heard a great quote "There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad equipment"; I couldn't agree more...I've got amazing cold weather gear (lightweight/not bulky/yet warm) and haven't been cold yet!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:09 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
In the winter cold, you can always add more layers. In the summer heat, however, you can only get so naked.
I'm outside everyday, usually for several to many hours each day, whether it be farm chores, my work or both. This time of year, you will usually find me in jeans, long sleeve knit shirt under a tee shirt followed by a hoody sweatshirt, insulated work bibs, pack boots w/ wool socks, knit hat under hood. The real cold days this week, I put on a coat too. I seem to stay warm enough.
When I drop my oldest kids off at middle school, I'm often amazed at how unprepared the kids are getting out of their folks cars. No coats, no hats, no gloves.
My own kids have tried to argue the fact that they are going from a heated car or bus to a heated school building but I still require them to carry the essentials. Be prepared. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Not such great news when you consider how it may affect the food supply. The cold on Bastardi's map goes way down south.
I would prefer to 1/2 starve than listen to Al Gore any more.

In NH it's always a race against cold and time to get a garden In, and then get it harvested.

If the cold effects the National Harvest maybe that will wake the walking dead. I sure hope so.

bign, I feel bad for you in that barn water ain't set up right yet. You got the rest down ok.

swanstone that's cute..... Aptor otter love thatn'

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM

586 posts, read 1,505,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
When I drop my oldest kids off at middle school, I'm often amazed at how unprepared the kids are getting out of their folks cars. No coats, no hats, no gloves. My own kids have tried to argue the fact that they are going from a heated car or bus to a heated school building but I still require them to carry the essentials. Be prepared. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Yeah, I've seen it at Kearsarge, too, when I drop off. My 6th grader makes the same arguments (and she tried to wear capri length pants on Monday when it was -19 when she walked out for the bus -- freako) and I always tell her "you will thank me if the bus breaks down and you have to walk the last half mile." Hat, mittens, coat -- don't leave home without them!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
you've forgotten that the cool kids don't pay attention to weather! I remember changing buildings at school with no coat/hat/mittens - because only wimps needed that! that and there was no place to put all that bulky stuff in class once you get there, and putting it all on took away time you needed to get to your next class. And that was back in the 70s, so it's not exactly something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire