U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
Default Steeplegate Mall Concord.....stores closing!

I can't believe how many stores have closed in that mall! The Coach store closed and the Gap is closing Thursday A bunch of other stores were closed. I suppose the Outlets in Tilton had something to do with it since Coach and Gap have stores there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 AM

998 posts, read 1,353,701 times
I avoid malls like the plague, though I make one shopping trip a year through the Steeplegate Mall at Christmas time.
All things considered, you Mall Shoppers should be happy that the whole flippin' mall isn't closing. I seem to recall that during the "Great Recession", Steeplegate was targeted for closing or bankruptcy or something along those lines.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM

809 posts, read 1,070,029 times
Brace yourself for some bad news, Aptor...

There's a bad recession going on. We're about 2 years into it now.

I've shopped in both Concord and Tilton since fall of 2008 and I've never been to that mall or the outlet stores. That's how much I like shopping in malls. I've been to most all of the sporting goods stores and gun shops though.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 AM

264 posts, read 550,039 times
I'm with you BigNH. I avoid the malls also. For me, the nearest mall is the Mall of NH and I CANNOT STAND going there. During Christmastime, I have to go there to shop for certain people, but I hate every moment! LOL

Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,844,130 times
Those older smaller malls are taking it on the chin. The Bedford Mall is half empty. the Nashua mall at exit 6 was leveled years ago to be a Kohl's, Xmas Tree Shop, LL Bean and a few small stores...

Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Brace yourself for some bad news, Aptor...

There's a bad recession going on. We're about 2 years into it now.

I've shopped in both Concord and Tilton since fall of 2008 and I've never been to that mall or the outlet stores. That's how much I like shopping in malls. I've been to most all of the sporting goods stores and gun shops though.

Do you think on line shopping has a lot to do with it as well? I would suspect it does especially since their one "high end" store went out quite quickly.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM

6,925 posts, read 8,598,835 times
I suspect the mall craze is dying off as well, between that, the economy, and online shopping I think they're a dying breed, I haven't set foot in one in ages and prefer not too.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM

809 posts, read 1,070,029 times
The big chains swamped us with a zillion locations when the banks would give credit to everyone and anyone, now they need to close some locations down because a lot less people are able to put their Coach purse on the Mastercard.

I just saw today that JC Penney is getting ready to shutter a bunch of stores. I used to like that store, before their stock started looking like Walmart's. Things change though... we boomed and now we're busting.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,887,359 times
there seems to be a cycle with malls. back in the 70's it was the 'big thing' to be able to park your car in 1 spot and go inside for all your shopping! now, malls are passe and the thing is to turn them all into 'town centers' where you can move your car all around to go to different shops all in the same complex of strip units. it will be interesting if in 20 years they go back to the convenience of having all the stores inside where weather won't affect your shopping experience.

the big thing that could impact this, is as Aptor pointed out: online shopping. it has made a huge impact on the stores. why should I go to a store when I can shop in my nightie at my convenience (and not have to worry about weather) and have it all delivered to me?!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM

586 posts, read 945,659 times
City-data needs a "like" button, like Facebook :-D I agree with all of you - malls suck, and online shopping for mall stores is much better. However -- even better than that is shopping at small, local stores!

BUY LOCAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire