Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,183 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. Hope you all are warm and safe with all the snow out there.

I have messaged some of you on the side.Thanks to those we replied and actually kept in touch, very,very kind & very helpful.

Can you please voice your opinion of Londonderry vs Raymond NH.We are considering a move to NH, we are taking a good look at both of those areas.

All below and whatever you can add is important in our search.

Crime,Schools, taxes,garbage pick up,home prices,cleanliness of city, easy access to Manchester? What am I leaving out? Please add what I missed.

Some said Raymond is run down, while others told me Raymond is just like Londonderry.

As of right now our price range and what we seek is a 3-4 bed home on hopefully close to acres. The range around 190-255,000.

Hope to get some feedback. Please-lol

Thank you soo much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,284 times
There are some areas on the outskirts of Raymond that are nice.Up around Pawtuckaway Lake over towards Nottingham is a nice area. There are also some nice spots along the Lampry River. Don't know anything about Londonderry,never went down that way much.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,183 times
anybody? Where are all the south NH people? Are you buried in a pile of snow? Any info helps...

Please?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 AM

39 posts, read 56,779 times
I've lived in Raymond for 20 years and love it. It's a quiet town, schools have just been updated, there is one grocery store and one McD as the town wants to keep the small town appeal.

Raymond is by no means affluent or new. Many houses are older but well-maintained and some neighborhoods have mixed old with new. Taxes are high, at least 3K a year, but LD is much higher.

You didn't say where you were moving from but it gets pretty flipping cold here. You may lose power for a few days in the event of a powerful winter wind / ice storm, so look for something with a fireplace or at least propane heat, or make friends who have them. Raymond is 7 minutes to Epping, 20 minutes to Manchester and Hampton Beach, 30 minutes to Concord, and about an hour to Boston. Schools are hardly ever cancelled and the roads are well maintained.

Check out the areas you want to move to. If you're buying stay away from river's edges because of flooding. Try to avoid living near steep hills or houses with long driveways or you'll be sorry in winter. Iced roads are unnerving. If you're renting, don't rent in Sunview (next to Hannaford.)

Also, check out Candia, Auburn and Deerfield. Prices and taxes may be a bit lower but you may have more land.

Funny you're moving this way because I'm planning a move to sunny, warm Arizona.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM

46 posts, read 80,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze-nh View Post
If you're buying stay away from river's edges because of flooding.
There are some beautiful properties on the river, I own one of them! Our house only flooded once in the 30 years since it's been built (the infamous mothers day flood) but it didn't flood bad. Isn't that what flood insurance is for?
Personally to have the beautiful river in my back yard and to be able to sit in my hammock over the river and go boating when ever I want, spend a lazy day reading on my dock with my dogs, it's well worth the chance of a flood. Only 1 house on my street along the lamprey river floods bad and that is because it's a horrible design and the land is actually lower than the river. So although Raymond has had some 'scares' with flooding its really not that bad and just do your research before buying a house. Before we bought this house I walked around the neighborhood and talked to the neighbors about the flooding to get a clear picture.
River living is wonderful!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire