U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM

468 posts, read 722,722 times

Advertisements

I love these. Everybody thinks they can cut down a tree since they have a chainsaw.

The Top 10 Worst Attempts At Cutting Down A Tree - Urlesque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,604,613 times
Anyone can cut a tree down. Having it land safely where you want it is the skill and the art. I have used ax, crosscut saw and chainsaw to fell trees. Now I let other people take the risk.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM

468 posts, read 722,722 times
Even very experienced fellers become complacent and get in to trouble. Very dangerous stuff.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,393,924 times
Seen some of the vid's
The biggest trees I ever cut were dead or almost and in Maryland. All of these were bigger than most in NH. All of them were real dangerous. Either shedding limbs the size of a 1/5th cord tree here in NH or hollow. One was lightning split and sat down on the bar. I needed to pull the power head and go get another saw for that one.

The dumbest thing that happened was cutting down a dead red oak a bigger than most in NH size, tree, and it was thick. That tree had no place to fall totally free, and it hopped the stump and stood looking as if it was still on the root ball.

Next door neighbor came and claimed it was on his side of the line. I pointed at the stump and asked it that was on his side. He said no, but to not cut the tree i was getting ready to.

He refused to belive the tree I was gonna bring was off that stump

The wind came up and that tree moved some, and I walked way, leaving him there to sputter. he got really mad at that but he would listen to reason either.

The wind did grab that tree and I yelled and pointed up and he got the idea standin' there wasn't a good idea.

I got one here that should come down, but I can't figure which way to fall it. It's twisted up real good. 1/2 cord maybe 3/4 cord birch a good size tree.

The reason it should come down is because it's almost dead....

Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 PM

16,458 posts, read 21,491,210 times
I was almost killed while camping by a falling tree. A sudden severe storm came and the tree just snapped and came down, but luckily hit a boulder and bounced away from me. It was a healthy tree and wasn't rotten either...I also saw a tree struck by lightning that night, a pine tree over 3 feet in diameter at the base, it split...

Trees can certainly be dangerous despite all their beauty...

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Arctic, A tree in MD was like that. A limb about the size of a red oak here full grown fell, and punctured the roof on a 'tree house' cabin. Inside if these tree house cabins , basicly a cabin in stilts built around a old real big oak better than 4 feet at the stump, there is bunk beds and the gun in that bunk bed needed new shorts big time.

That limb stopped a couple inches from his chest. That incident, plus other people falling thru the ill built steps caused a lot of workin for me

I got to take out rather a lot of like trees and build stairs, real ones to around 13 cabins.

Another limb fell on someone cooler and mashed it flat. Another crushed the ft end of a car.

The problem was this land owner failed to spray for gypsy moth, and created a island of food for the moth in one place.

These trees were full grown oaks during the Civil War, and grew more since. Many contained bullets from a battle pre Antiedum on Gapland Ridge. I worked on private homes as early as 1700 there that also had bullets in the framing, from that same battle in the town of Burkitsville.

Splitting fire wood, I found a bullet in a section I split and I cut that shorter to be a file holder, leaving the bullet and it's path showing as all one still. Finding that and splitting it that way was just freak by chance.

I got a tale about lightning and Pine here in Ossipee too. I'll do that in a few posts down maybe.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM

5,656 posts, read 12,048,244 times
I don't fell trees for a living but I cut a lot of my own firewood that way. A few years ago there was a beautiful mature elm on my property about 20 ft. from the house. Then one spring it just didn't leaf out. I left it for a year while I thought about how to get it out of there. I enlisted the help of a friend and using a 40 ft. ladder we tied a huge rope to it about two thirds of the way up. At the other end of the rope was my pickup about a hundred ft. away. I got to sit in the truck while he ran the saw. I kept watching and listening and finally he yelled GO! And it came down right where we had intended. Took all day to clean it up. Not being crazy about burning elm as it kinda stinks, I gave him the wood. He had no problems firing it up.

Last year I had a row of 4 mature balsams and two went down in a spring storm. There wasn't much sense in keeping the others, but it was very hard to tell which way they might fall and they were within easy reach of the house. Huge 60 footers. That time I hired a pro.

Re. those videos: I can't believe how many parked vehicles there were in harms way.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM

16,458 posts, read 21,491,210 times
Mac, from what I've seen, the South does have a lot more large trees than up here. Still, it doesn't even take a big tree to do a lot of damage...

That's pretty amazing finding those bullets. I've yet to find those, but I pulled a hand forged iron nail out of a split tree once...

You know I understand one of the major causes of death for beavers, is trees falling on them...

Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM

square peg, I am so after balsums, just real little ones. I need 10 no bigger than 3 inchs at the ground and one a little bigger than that.

I got this hunters lodge and my pole had had it to the point I cut them up for kindling this past Fall.

The way this lodge works (primitive lodge) is 3 poles about 15/17 feet long so the tops are pretty like a tee pee hold up a ridge pole (the largest pole) at about 9 feet up in the tri pod.

On each end 2 more poles get laid in. One lifts the canvass end on each end, the 4th pole just fills out the 'Bell". Got any like that I can have? I don't need help I just need permission.

An extra would be nice for the ridge, as well as an extra or more tri pod poles.

My 2nd choice is spruce, the same sapling sizes. I will see if I can find a picture to scan so you can see.

Then if I had my way 4 more very small poles about 6/7 feet tall to hold the long ends of the lodge up, and 6 about 9 feet tall, about 1 inch at the ground. The 6 hold the canvass from sagging in and lean on the ridge.

What this lodge looks like is a big A frame with Bell ends. All the canvass can be open at the same time. A fire can be anywhere in the center line.
.................................................. .................................................. ...............................

Arctic, Lots of lead ended up in stange places in that war. I did a variety of work for a weathy land owner in Md.(Paul) I did basic repairs on a 1936 Pylmouth Torpedo car he owned, making it run again. I worked on his MG TD touring car, mostly restro work. I painted interior and exterior parts of his mansion home, and cut some wicked big trees down on his place as well.

The tallest tree I ever took down was there. It had a rotten middle mostly gone and hollow, and was black locust. It measured 179 feet from the felling cut to the top, and I drove a 4x4 I placed to nail showing off.

With this guy you had to earn trust, and in time I did.

2 funny stories from knowing him, if ya got the time:

1st one, there was a Civil War Ball. I was invited to play that day, but I only had a 1860 colt .44 Army. So he and friends dressed me out. These guys were all Union, but they made me be a Reb, one of Mosbies Boys. (bad idea) I rode my own horse, and besides clothing was loned a 2nd 1860 colt .44

So what did i do but go out early and with one late war guy a reb, in Butternut unifom and take a Union Camp of 12 men with out a shot fired.
That Union Capt was smokin mad at me, but then prisoners of war tend to be nasty people in the first place.

I was kind enough to invite him for some of his own camps coffee just the same

Later at the 'Ball' I was to hold the horse drawing the carriage which both belonged to Paul I worked for. He had his daughters English Lessons riding teacher to drive. And that guy Ralph, had never driven a horse drawn anything. I was told specificly to not do anythiong other than get down off the seat and hold the horse anytime anyone was getting into or out of the carriage, but Ralph almost tipped the carriage over in the first turn in a lolly pop drive way giving the horse too much slack in the reigns. I told Ralph what to do, but he paniced and didn't, so i took the reigns.

I'ld rather break the rules than die ya know. I have done this with teams a long time, so for me it was cake. I tried to teach Ralph in 60 seconds but he just wanted to switch jobs, and I told him I don't need you for that, but Paul is gonna be a big problem.

Man, we had more people and Paul see's me driving and gets miffed bad. He is red in the face, not making any bones about it, says mac what are you doing?

Ralph to his credit, speaks up admitts to nearly a crash, me saving the carriage and our lives plus the horse, and tells Paul I know what i am doing, and I did.

Paul sucks it in a little, and say Mac you got any other skills I don't already know? I just grinned.

Paul askes so how do you know this? I tell him years and years of driving teams. He asks why don't I know this? I said You never asked....

Next: Paul invites Gwyn (my gal my wife now) and I to his New Years Eve party. We go, it's open house pretty much for guests, and I see Paul pour punch for Gwyn, from across the room. I am fixing a plate of eats, and Paul walks up to me and says "Who the hell are you?"

LOL I look at him a long while with a big grin, and he isn't getting it, and he is getting angery.

Finally I said It's me Paul! .......... Mac. He took 3 steps back and looked harder. He says Dammit, it is you!

I say 'Sure I know that, I been me all evenin so far who did you think I was?'

He stammers your in a 3 piece suit and have a neck tie on.... He never saw me in anything other than work rags LOL

Year 2 of tee pee living illegally off the land......

Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 PM

5,656 posts, read 12,048,244 times
I'm a few hours away from ya Mac! I only have one remaining balsam and that one is too big for what you're looking for. I take that back. I have another I put in two summers ago and it's about 5 ft. tall right now. If I had em in your size, I'd say no problem. Go north young man! Or if you do ever get up here by Jay Peak, I can lead you to em. They grow like weeds around here.

Great stories - I always enjoy them! Your life reads like a novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire