Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

I am more opposed to big business than big government. If a service is most economically provided by a monopoly (do you really want parallel power lines) that monopoly should be owned and operated by the government at government financing, salaries and no profit costs. Private business, for any semblance of a market to function, must never be allowed to form a, even regulated, monopoly. That is not politics it is simple economics.

Every publically owned electric utility in the Country had much lower costs and subsequently lower prices than the private sector companies. The government sector is about removing risk and the proper function of a public company is to take risk and make a profit as a reward. Public utilities are effectively risk free investments operated by incredibly expensive management at a great cost to their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 AM

81 posts, read 116,345 times
I'm not fond of big business or big government. Whenever there is too much power or money in one place we either get that "Too big to fail" scenerio in the private sector where they privatise the profits and socialize the losses or corruption, cronyism, incompetence, ["heck of a job, Brownie"] etc. of a govt. so big it doesn't know if it's own hair is on fire. Either way, we lose. I think you're right though, if govt. worked like it's supposed to and had adequate oversight, - but when you have to have a person to watch the person who's in charge of watching the other people, you have the makings of a corporation instead of a lean, efficient govt. There are no easy answers and it seems like either way could work if everything worked according to plan - but it never does. We are living in a unique period of history that may force us to re-examine our values and priorities and maybe move more toward cooperation than competition in areas that affect us all like food, power, etc.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
There is a reason why NH pays near highest in electric rates.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am more opposed to big business than big government. If a service is most economically provided by a monopoly (do you really want parallel power lines) that monopoly should be owned and operated by the government at government financing, salaries and no profit costs. Private business, for any semblance of a market to function, must never be allowed to form a, even regulated, monopoly. That is not politics it is simple economics.

Every publically owned electric utility in the Country had much lower costs and subsequently lower prices than the private sector companies. The government sector is about removing risk and the proper function of a public company is to take risk and make a profit as a reward. Public utilities are effectively risk free investments operated by incredibly expensive management at a great cost to their customers.

And from what I read here these same people are for government run health care. Or a single payer set up one with the governing model of the TVA.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm not sure what that has to do with the proposed northern pass project but the antics of psnh over the last 30-40 years makes a pretty strong case for a public owned utility instead of private. Search results for: gamache (http://www.nhbizreport.com/search.html?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=searc h&searchword=gamache - broken link)

Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Gov. Lynch says it's time for northern pass to come up with "plan B". Plan B my A! Is he deaf? What part about "NO!" is he having trouble with? The people who he represents have repeatedly spoken loudly and clearly. Unless the "B" is for "Bury" we don't want to hear it. We won't tolerate the raping of our state by PSNH or any other money grubbers. If you want to do business in NH, show some respect for our way of life and the things we hold dear. Stand up for your rights NH, it works! Don't give in to the corporate bullies.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I was up in Sugar Hill over the past week and those folks are up in arms. Every place has a Stop sign out, and thar's orange ribbons everywhere. There's a little money speaking from up that way.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 PM

It would be good to see those signs in every corner of the state. The yellow plastic sign with the wire holder looks like a real estate sign and is available through the SPNHF in Concord or wwwlivefreeorfry.org for $5 donation. If communities get together and pitch in for 10 or 20 to put in prominent locations with good traffic flow, the word gets around. I offered to cover the $5 for any of the locals who couldn't swing it but wanted one for the front yard but no one took me up on it. "I'll take three", "give me two", "I'll take one, too", "When are you going to get some more of those signs?" was all I kept hearing. Thanks for talking it up, they are getting the message in bold print!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Rt 117 and Rt 116 are posted hard. I see some on Rt 104 in New Hampton, others scattered on Rt 25 between Ossipee and Merideth.

Will these sign places ship? But then where I live posting is a waste of time. I set out a honor system table 2 years ago with baskets of straw berries and all that found them were birds...... No one even stole the baskets of berries.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Mac - Maybe the birds got there first.

Good to see the protest increasing. We do not need this across the mountains. Run it along existing ROW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire