Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,852 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to move to NH for a while based on my frequent trips up north near Littleton and Conway for camping and hiking. I am going to spend a weekend driving around to get a feel for some of the other areas. Anyone have any suggestions on where I should plan on going to see potential living areas? I want to see Manchester at least, and will be driving down through Worchester to visit friends on my way home. Most important things are to find a job in software engineering, good rollerblading areas, someplace to kayak nearby, and of course a straight shot to the white mountains.

Thanks,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,887 times
I'm not actually in NH so maybe my advice won't be worth much, but my sister lives in the Lakes Region and from what you've described, you might want to check out the Concord area. There is some great kayaking within easy driving distance on rivers and lakes, it's certainly a straight shot to the mountains and doesn't take long to get to Manchester on 93, and the city itself is pretty cool.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,807 times
Hi
I'm Johnny in Manchester and now retired. I'm a native. I have done some kayak locally and lots of hiking. The Merrimac River running through Manchester has rapids and "some gates" already setup. There are plenty of lakes in the area. Our Water Supply is a beautiful lake called Massabesic.
Manchester is changing and has been getting lots of new folks, mostly from urban areas. But the outskirts are still decent.
You can ask me specifics if you want.

Johnny

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebishop View Post
I have wanted to move to NH for a while based on my frequent trips up north near Littleton and Conway for camping and hiking. I am going to spend a weekend driving around to get a feel for some of the other areas. Anyone have any suggestions on where I should plan on going to see potential living areas? I want to see Manchester at least, and will be driving down through Worchester to visit friends on my way home. Most important things are to find a job in software engineering, good rollerblading areas, someplace to kayak nearby, and of course a straight shot to the white mountains.

Thanks,

Eric
Check out Manchester, Goffstown, Concord, Hooksett and Try Boscawen as well. All these places have what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 PM

9 posts, read 46,947 times
Default Manchester- the pits

You will be badly disappointed by Manchester. Aside from a few residential neighborhoods in the "North End", it is an overcrowded, physically ugly, and generally unpleasant city, especially by NH standards. It is a magnet for those drawn by cheaper rents and higher welfare payments than the Massachusetts cities- not a good scene. Also, it is becoming a regional crime/drug distribution center, along the lines of Lawrence, Mass. Unlike the early '90s crime wave, this one is here to stay. In NH, you want to live in a small town, the smaller the better. Great small towns in the Southern NH/Merrimack Valley area (where the jobs are concentrated) are Chester, Candia, and Auburn. Each has good access to I-93 (Candia and Auburn via NH-101, a freeway that runs from the Atlantic Coast to Manchester). There are also more suburban places like Londonderry, Merrimack, and Windham that have shopping amenities, very good public schools, and easy highway access, but still offer woods, clean air, and fairly low-key living (at a price). But again, Manchester is best avoided, unless you enjoy high property taxes, lousy schools, and other "urban" pleasures. Nashua is also not great. Better small towns in that area are New Boston & Greenville (country, affordable), and Hollis (pricey suburb).

Old 07-20-2007, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 88,869 times
I'd recommend Keene. Very beautiful. Excellent shopping and very close to world renowned Mt. Monadnak.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 AM

35 posts, read 105,401 times
while I live in NH I am not a native. Not ALL of manchester is seedy, it actually has seen some wonderful growth the past few years with the millyard and walking along the river. I live in the south area of manchester, on the litchfield line, while schools are not good in manchester, I don't want you to think it is as bad a picture that has been painted for you. I highly recommend loooking over at the seacoast, my manager lives in stratham and is an avid biker/kayaker ect.. there are plenty of parks, rivers, lakes, ocean activities for you over there, not too mention that it is right near I-95 . So maybe stratham, exeter, newmarket, newfields, durham, would be a great place for you. good luck!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM

108 posts, read 412,837 times
There are some schools in Manchester that are better than others. There are some neighborhoods that are better than others...a LOT better. The north end and the far southern end (near Londonderry) are nice family friendly areas. Airport noise can be a problem in some of the southern Manchester areas (not all) but some say that the airport traffic noises beats the sounds of downtown sirens. Some housing near the airport can get soundproofing.

Enjoy your visit. Manchester, while having things to be concerned about (as does any larger city), has many good things to offer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire