Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,937 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to move to New Hampshire in June from Delaware. Most of the children are grown(#3 is graduating high school in May and the baby is in 10th grade) we have decided to sell everything and move to New Hampshire . We are looking to live close to a ski area but also close enough to an area my husband can find employment ,He is a computer Sr Field Engineer. We are hoping to find a single family home in a wooded area, fireplace 3 bedrooms with the Mountain living feel to it . Any suggestions . I just started to look this week and am feeling overwhelmed . Does anyone know if the vacation rental type proerties often consider a year round rental
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM

477 posts, read 895,982 times
Check out the Andover area. Pretty conveniently locate yet rural. Just 10 minutes from Ragged MT ski area.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM

40 posts, read 128,216 times
Try Mountain Lakes in Haverhill, NH.
Home
Right off the picturesque Kancamangus highway, 30 minutes to Loon Mountain in Lincoln for skiing, 45 minutes to Dartmouth or 30 minutes to Littleton for job opportunities and shopping.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,628,583 times
I used to live in Thornton, NH, very close to I93 and Waterville Valley for skiing. I loved it, check it out (along with Campton, two small towns right next to each other).

Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,900,084 times
Q1. How does the 'baby' feel about changing HS with two year left?
Q2. I would think for you DH to be A CE (Field svc eng) he will need to be down in the Manchester/Nashua (and points south) or Greater Boston area. Ski areas and FSE don't go together.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,982,151 times
luckily, NH isn't all that big. so you can live closer to the tech areas for your DH's job and still drive to skiing. I know, living in Hollis, I took skiing lessons after school somewhere - but darned if I can remember where!

It might be better to line up the job first and then get the housing.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,890,997 times
Hello, and welcome Considering everything that you told us in your 1st post (selling everything, moving to another state, 1 kid graduating, the other in 2 years) WOW! I'd be overwhelmed too! That said, you've come to the right place.

I would be concerned first for your husband's employment, and the type of commute he will be willing and able to do. Has he started interviewing to see if the pay scale in NH or MA will work for your families needs?

Next: location issues. I would be concerned that by living close to a ski area, you may be quite far from job centers for employment. While there are companies/jobs in the NH cities (think Manchester/Nashua/Portsmouth areas, possibly Concord), it's most likely that he'll find the best job (definitely the best pay) if he crosses the border into Massachusetts.

Do you want to live close to the major ski attractions, or would a smaller venue be acceptable? There are a number of small to medium size ski hills available. Pat's Peak in Henniker might fit the bill. Henniker is also home to New England College and while it's not 'mountain living' it may be worth considering.

Other than living near a ski area, what other sort of amenities are you seeking? Is your 10th grader in public or private school? Do you prefer an area with nearby shopping, restaurants, entertainment, or are you a more stay-at-home family? Be aware that many towns do not offer trash pickup. Your option would be to bring trash to the dump, or hire a private hauler (prices vary)

Vacation-type rentals may be available on a year-round basis, but I would imagine that this would be quite expensive. The lakes and mountain areas are desirable year round, and while prices on vacation rentals have dropped, the very high property taxes (especially if there is a view) make it necessary to cover expenses by charging accordingly. However, you just never know until you begin to search in earnest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriinde View Post
My husband and I have decided to move to New Hampshire in June from Delaware. Most of the children are grown(#3 is graduating high school in May and the baby is in 10th grade) we have decided to sell everything and move to New Hampshire . We are looking to live close to a ski area but also close enough to an area my husband can find employment ,He is a computer Sr Field Engineer. We are hoping to find a single family home in a wooded area, fireplace 3 bedrooms with the Mountain living feel to it . Any suggestions . I just started to look this week and am feeling overwhelmed . Does anyone know if the vacation rental type proerties often consider a year round rental

Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM

395 posts, read 456,491 times
My advice would be to live somewhere around Concord. That way you can hop on 93 north and be at a number of ski areas in less than an hour but still be within commuting distance of Manchester and Portsmouth for jobs.

Living very close to a ski area is most likely going to limit opportunity for employment.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,864,073 times
I dunno, but that fire place is a dream. You will hate a fire place pretty fast, unless you plug in a woodstove and have the fire place sealed off.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,652,294 times
I'm not a fan of fireplaces either. I find them dirty and a heat loss. I personally place a whole bunch of tea candles in my fireplaces and I think they look beautiful like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire