Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,154,353 times

Advertisements

What have the Free Staters accomplished? I heard about them back in college and thought about moving to New Hampshire to join them some day because let's face it you guys have awesome weather and freedom would be great on top of that. However, have they accomplished anything? A topic on the front page of this board asks about a car inspection to get a license plate. I don't have that where I live why move somewhere where I would? Do you have to have front and back plates? If so why? Are there speed limits everywhere? If so how high? Beyond guns what about other weapons? Are swords, switchblades, nunchuks, or butterfly knives regulated? Can I own a pit bull? Can I own a lion?

I'm all for more freedom, but right now it seems like you guys have a plenty big government although you do still have awesome weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,634,586 times
New Hampshire has awesome weather? First I heard of that. Awesome cold and awesome heat in any year is normal.

As far as weapons are concerned there are far more restrictions on knives than on guns. We do require two license plates and annual inspection to license our cars as well as periodic visions tests for the drivers. If these are not acceptable in a "free state" I guess we do not qualify.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,110,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
What have the Free Staters accomplished? I heard about them back in college and thought about moving to New Hampshire to join them some day because let's face it you guys have awesome weather and freedom would be great on top of that. However, have they accomplished anything? A topic on the front page of this board asks about a car inspection to get a license plate. I don't have that where I live why move somewhere where I would? Do you have to have front and back plates? If so why? Are there speed limits everywhere? If so how high? Beyond guns what about other weapons? Are swords, switchblades, nunchuks, or butterfly knives regulated? Can I own a pit bull? Can I own a lion?

I'm all for more freedom, but right now it seems like you guys have a plenty big government although you do still have awesome weather.
I think I've read that about 14 of them have been elected to some form of public office.

Baby steps...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
A topic on the front page of this board asks about a car inspection to get a license plate. I don't have that where I live why move somewhere where I would? Do you have to have front and back plates? If so why? Are there speed limits everywhere? If so how high? Beyond guns what about other weapons? Are swords, switchblades, nunchuks, or butterfly knives regulated? Can I own a pit bull? Can I own a lion?

It took me a long time to give up on searching for the mythical idea of a free state, and just sort of accept the reality that every state is different it's own special little way.

While it's useful to look at the overall picture of liberty in aggregate, I think I have come to the conclusion that the final determination of where to live has to come down to not the aggregate, but the particulars. It all depends what specific kinds of liberties you like, which you think would impact your life the most, and lean towards those states as your final choice.

Looking at a list that compares liberty in aggregate, as a whole, is an extremely good way to "thin out" a very large list of candidate states to start off with such that you can immediately discard as possibilities all of the really obnoxious states. But when you manage to weed out all the obviously bad states, and get that list down to maybe 8 - 10 really plausible candidates.... then I think you need to start evaluating the list a different way, and start focusing on the things that specifically interest you, in terms of how you live your life.

For example, somebody who's life involves firearms liberties may want to choose states that top the list for that. Other people who may partake of illicit substances may want to choose states that have decriminalized small amounts of such substances, persons who are gay might want to choose a state that recognizes their marriage, persons who want laxer driving laws should seek out such states specific to what interests them, business license and permitting hassles if you desire to run a business, weather preference, etc...

Trying to look at an "aggregate" list is just no good at this near-final phase of the decision... one will drive themselves crazy trying to do it that way when they realize that every state has a few crazy laws here and there which state alongside a few really good laws.

If you are of the opinion that the weather is favorable, then I guess you can just add that as a check mark in the 'pros/plusses' category of your list.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
New Hampshire has awesome weather? First I heard of that. Awesome cold and awesome heat in any year is normal.

As far as weapons are concerned there are far more restrictions on knives than on guns. We do require two license plates and annual inspection to license our cars as well as periodic visions tests for the drivers. If these are not acceptable in a "free state" I guess we do not qualify.
Just naming some really simple things that should be easy to overcome in a place bent on encouraging freedom.

What's the point of the second license plate? If you don't have it a person has more freedom in personalizing their car. Why require a car inspection? If the car breaks down the only person harmed is the car's owner. Similarly the US Constitution protects the right to bear arms not just firearms. If you're banning bladed or blunt weapons then you're violating the US Constitution, and if you're restricting them you may be. This seems especially odd in a place that has few restrictions on firearms. I know every state in the US does the last one, but come on those state laws shouldn't be hard to change if these people are having an effect.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,906,176 times
Why require a car inspection? If the car breaks down the only person harmed is the car's owner.

Well, not exactly. Inspections aren't about keeping a vehicle from breaking down. Brakes, tires, tie rods and ball joints are about the handling of a vehicle. They all assist in keeping a person from crashing into other people. Lights need to be in working order so others on the road can see you as well as your seeing them. I ain't crazy about the smog tests, but since most folks pretty much agree that clean air is a good thing, add that emissions check to the list. I'd say that car inspections are a pretty good thing overall.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,673,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Why require a car inspection? If the car breaks down the only person harmed is the car's owner.

Well, not exactly. Inspections aren't about keeping a vehicle from breaking down. Brakes, tires, tie rods and ball joints are about the handling of a vehicle. They all assist in keeping a person from crashing into other people. Lights need to be in working order so others on the road can see you as well as your seeing them. I ain't crazy about the smog tests, but since most folks pretty much agree that clean air is a good thing, add that emissions check to the list. I'd say that car inspections are a pretty good thing overall.

Thanks Square Peg....you would think that would be fairly obvious

Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Thanks Square Peg....you would think that would be fairly obvious
Nope. I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where the government isn't crawling in and out of my car all the time. If someone wants to drive a junker why stop them? Do you think someone will intentionally drive a car that is uncontrollable due to the brakes being out?

But yeah I do think New Hampshire has great weather. You get a lot of snow right? How could you have bad weather with snow?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I think I've read that about 14 of them have been elected to some form of public office.

Baby steps...
Maybe. I'd just prefer for them to have some impact in the near future.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
It took me a long time to give up on searching for the mythical idea of a free state, and just sort of accept the reality that every state is different it's own special little way.

While it's useful to look at the overall picture of liberty in aggregate, I think I have come to the conclusion that the final determination of where to live has to come down to not the aggregate, but the particulars. It all depends what specific kinds of liberties you like, which you think would impact your life the most, and lean towards those states as your final choice.

Looking at a list that compares liberty in aggregate, as a whole, is an extremely good way to "thin out" a very large list of candidate states to start off with such that you can immediately discard as possibilities all of the really obnoxious states. But when you manage to weed out all the obviously bad states, and get that list down to maybe 8 - 10 really plausible candidates.... then I think you need to start evaluating the list a different way, and start focusing on the things that specifically interest you, in terms of how you live your life.

For example, somebody who's life involves firearms liberties may want to choose states that top the list for that. Other people who may partake of illicit substances may want to choose states that have decriminalized small amounts of such substances, persons who are gay might want to choose a state that recognizes their marriage, persons who want laxer driving laws should seek out such states specific to what interests them, business license and permitting hassles if you desire to run a business, weather preference, etc...

Trying to look at an "aggregate" list is just no good at this near-final phase of the decision... one will drive themselves crazy trying to do it that way when they realize that every state has a few crazy laws here and there which state alongside a few really good laws.

If you are of the opinion that the weather is favorable, then I guess you can just add that as a check mark in the 'pros/plusses' category of your list.
Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at. It just sounded like here finally was a libertarian group that cared about something other than drug legalization and thus could actually help create a freer society instead of just a higher society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire