Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 17,917 times

Advertisements

My opinion is based on youtube videos n internet research so please correct me if I'm wrong. I did read on the forum somewhere there execter had some bad flooding in 2006. I guess mabye not a bad track record. Please do tell... Does execter have a fun walkable town and upscale homes that aren't in the woods? Appreciate any input you hav to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 AM

205 posts, read 942,897 times
Yes, there has been flooding in and around the Exeter River area but nothing like massive flooding in other areas of the country you see on TV where the river overflows covering the town.

Exeter is one of the most walkable towns in NH. If you are looking for upscale housing but not in the woods, look at neighborhoods off High Street. A good mix of historic or newer homes as well as many nice neighborhoods all walkable to shopping/parks.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times
.. are you sure that NH is where you want to move yourself and your family to?? I mean, reading your posts where you hate woods and you're looking for fun, upscale places.. just doesn't scream NH to me . Please, please, make plans to take some vacations here first!! especially during winter.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,889,979 times
Echoing Wanna's comment below, I do agree that New Hampshire will be quite a change from what you are used to. Exeter was settled in the 1600s and you'll notice that while the downtown has several independent stores, restaurants and specialty shops, it retains a classic New England ambiance. Not 'urban' (which you asked for in a previous post). I think calling it a 'fun walkable town' would be somewhat of a stretch, but there is certainly more walkable area than most towns of NH (unless you are talking about hiking/biking/walking trails through the woods). Exeter would give you better proximity to the beach that you are looking for and one of the top school districts in the state. Hopefully you'll be able to come to NH on a scouting trip, to see for yourself exactly what NH has to offer, before the job is decided on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexadrew View Post
Does execter have a fun walkable town and upscale homes that aren't in the woods? Appreciate any input you hav to offer!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM

16 posts, read 49,488 times
Hi again lexadrew. I am 32... but I have met a lot of moms in their 40's, so I wouldn't say you would be the "old mom" at all. Almost every family I have met here is not originally from NH... most of them are from NE, but I have met some people from the NYC/LI area.
I agree with what others have said - NH as a whole is entirely different from LI. Everyone drives EVERYWHERE - I have met people at the playground from two towns away!!! It is just a different way of life. I agree with others, it would be worth your while to visit the area before making the move. But please don't be completely discouraged - I have met so many friendly, family oriented, well educated and successful people here. It may be different from what we grew up with, so it may just mean making some adjustments!!! Be prepared to drive 20 minutes to the other side of town for a playdate!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 PM

279 posts, read 587,313 times
I would look into the Exeter area. 15-20 minutes to Portsmouth and Mass. Rye and Hampton are decent areas. However, if schools are of concern in the future, Exeter is the best district on the seacoast.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 26,323 times
Hi, I am new to this site and also looking for a great downtown in New England. My boyfriend and I currently live in NYC, however my boyfriend just started a new job in Exeter, NH. He wants a minimal commute to Exeter. Also, he is excited about the possibility of no income or sales tax in New Hampshire, we are looking to rent before considering to buy. I belong to a woman's group that I can either transfer to Portland, ME or Boston, MA, unfortunately there is no location in NH. Moreover, I am a city girl with a background in advertising/marketing and looking at taking some advanced masters courses and am unsure about my options in the area. We both want a downtown with plenty or restaurants, shops and nightlife. We have considered Portsmouth, NH and Newburyport, MA. Which would be better? Or should we consider another option? Thank you kindly for your help!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM

221 posts, read 481,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star2000 View Post
Hi, I am new to this site and also looking for a great downtown in New England. My boyfriend and I currently live in NYC, however my boyfriend just started a new job in Exeter, NH. He wants a minimal commute to Exeter. Also, he is excited about the possibility of no income or sales tax in New Hampshire, we are looking to rent before considering to buy. I belong to a woman's group that I can either transfer to Portland, ME or Boston, MA, unfortunately there is no location in NH. Moreover, I am a city girl with a background in advertising/marketing and looking at taking some advanced masters courses and am unsure about my options in the area. We both want a downtown with plenty or restaurants, shops and nightlife. We have considered Portsmouth, NH and Newburyport, MA. Which would be better? Or should we consider another option? Thank you kindly for your help!
Downtown and nightlife will probably be Portsmouth; plus it'll be a faster commute to Exeter from I95 if not taking 33 towards Greenland and other options. There isn't a lot of big nightlife area in NH to be honest especially for young people.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM

279 posts, read 587,313 times
My bf and I are young and living in NH and have never felt older lol. The above poster is right- there is little to no nightlife in NH. If you're looking for clubs and more happening environments, you're going to want to be closer to Boston. However, short commute isn't really possible driving from Boston to exeter. NH can be quite lovely, but if you're a city girl- you may not "love" it here. I, like most others- suggest you visit the seacoast area of NH and Boston and northward. My bf commutes from Exeter to Boston on the downeaster amtrack. But there are some days he has to drive, because he needs to be in Boston earlier than when the train would get him there. It runs him a bit over $300 a month for a monthly pass on the train. To live in Boston and commute to Exeter- You'd have to look at the downeaster's schedule and see if they have anything that leaves Boston early enough to get to Exeter when your bf needs to be there. Something tells me they don't have one leaving Boston til 9am-ish, but I could be wrong. Living in the Exeter area- the previous poster is right- Portsmouth would be the only area you're really going to find a big downtown or any nightlife- which is still generally "pub style" nightlife.. local college students etc, often local bands... but not much in the way of what you'd find in Boston or NYC. Commute from Portsmouth to Exeter shouldn't take more than a half hour. Exeter is actually a cute town in itself, but nightlife doesn't happen there. Likewise, taxes are higher in the Exeter area from what I recall- making rents higher too. Val C is a good person to look for on here. She's a realtor in the area Beware, what lacks in sale tax etc it makes up in other places- a common complaint I've seen many try to defend, but it's true. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,369,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
My bf and I are young and living in NH and have never felt older lol. The above poster is right- there is little to no nightlife in NH. If you're looking for clubs and more happening environments, you're going to want to be closer to Boston. However, short commute isn't really possible driving from Boston to exeter. NH can be quite lovely, but if you're a city girl- you may not "love" it here. I, like most others- suggest you visit the seacoast area of NH and Boston and northward. My bf commutes from Exeter to Boston on the downeaster amtrack. But there are some days he has to drive, because he needs to be in Boston earlier than when the train would get him there. It runs him a bit over $300 a month for a monthly pass on the train. To live in Boston and commute to Exeter- You'd have to look at the downeaster's schedule and see if they have anything that leaves Boston early enough to get to Exeter when your bf needs to be there. Something tells me they don't have one leaving Boston til 9am-ish, but I could be wrong. Living in the Exeter area- the previous poster is right- Portsmouth would be the only area you're really going to find a big downtown or any nightlife- which is still generally "pub style" nightlife.. local college students etc, often local bands... but not much in the way of what you'd find in Boston or NYC. Commute from Portsmouth to Exeter shouldn't take more than a half hour. Exeter is actually a cute town in itself, but nightlife doesn't happen there. Likewise, taxes are higher in the Exeter area from what I recall- making rents higher too. Val C is a good person to look for on here. She's a realtor in the area Beware, what lacks in sale tax etc it makes up in other places- a common complaint I've seen many try to defend, but it's true. Good luck!
What kind of nightlife are we missing out on in the Seacoast? When I was of drinking age in the late 80s, I found plenty of nightlife that got me into plenty of trouble and plenty of fun. I guess my standards for nightlife are low? What are we missing - xstacy induced raves? I've heard a lot of people say there's no night life in NH - just wondering what kind of nightlife we're lacking in the bigger cities of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire