Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,189 times

Advertisements

Describe a winter "like this" down Nashua way for us. If it's been consistently above freezing at night the trees might not have a need for a run of sap all at once in March/April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Describe a winter "like this" down Nashua way for us. If it's been consistently above freezing at night the trees might not have a need for a run of sap all at once in March/April.
For example: History : Weather Underground Scroll down to the monthly calendar overview.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:45 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
I'm thinking sugaring is not going to be good this year. Heck- we should see a surge of invasive species from down south this year as well...

Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I'm thinking sugaring is not going to be good this year. Heck- we should see a surge of invasive species from down south this year as well...
Did you notice the huge surge north in the zones from the updated USDA hardiness map? Crazy... I agree with you on the invasives. With the overall climate in NH becoming wetter and warmer over time it won't be good for native species as they will have to compete with ever more things trying to grow on the same plot of land. Supposedly February and March will trend at or below average for temperatures in NH so we'll see what happens, but based on what I've seen so far I think it will probably trend warmer again.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Did you notice the huge surge north in the zones from the updated USDA hardiness map? Crazy... I agree with you on the invasives. With the overall climate in NH becoming wetter and warmer over time it won't be good for native species as they will have to compete with ever more things trying to grow on the same plot of land. Supposedly February and March will trend at or below average for temperatures in NH so we'll see what happens, but based on what I've seen so far I think it will probably trend warmer again.
I did indeed. One of my biggest worries (right now) is our hemlock. Real cold is good at halting the spread of the Wooly Adgelid (spelling?) and the like. This year didn't have any of that. I also couldn't help but notice a lot of maples looked really bad this fall...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I did indeed. One of my biggest worries (right now) is our hemlock. Real cold is good at halting the spread of the Wooly Adgelid (spelling?) and the like. This year didn't have any of that. I also couldn't help but notice a lot of maples looked really bad this fall...
Yes, hemlock adelgid. Maples were stressed this Fall due to excessive rainfall and moisture which resulted in leaf wilt and poor leaf colorization. The coldest low temperatures this winter have been at the usual spots in the northern valleys at -20 to -25F for a few nights, but that has been it. February is a tossup. I expect some subzero lows, but probably not very likely in most of the southern and southeast parts of the state.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM

I learned a private school in Nashua tapped their trees 2 weeks ago and they've already been boiling. I'd better get going!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM

I'm tapping my trees tonight!
I got a decent amount of sap last year and forgot one tree.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,077 times
I see a bunch of people have tapped their trees already, last week was good weather for it, wondering if yestardays cold and todays cold will effect it? I was going to try tapping a few trees this year for my first time, but now im wondering if i waited too long?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Still too cold in Tamworth. I am not going to make any sugar this year, but there is a guy not far from here who has plastic lines out but the taps are just hanging off it.

He is already but not plugged in. I have enough for my needs to go a few years with out making a bit, and just decided to take this season off.

24F / 26F and windy won't cut it which is what it is right now at 11:45 AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire