Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM

44 posts, read 106,099 times

Advertisements

Here comes a question that might sound silly, but, remember, I'm used to living in the South, so... :-)
In southern/middle New Hampshire, is it possible to exercise/workout OUTSIDE in winter months? By exercising/working out I mean primarily walking and running in the neighborhood. Is it something doable, considering the regular amount of snow, weather, etc.??
Thanks for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,048,331 times
Yes, although most road shoulders do get somewhat pushed in because of plowed snow (really depends on the road/area more than anything). We also have snow-shoeing; which burns A TON of calories and is easier on joints (snow cushions impact)...and can be done at any park/field/etc...

Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,290,373 times
Yes it is possible. I guess it depends how well the streets and sidewalks are plowed in your area. I guess it also depends on how well you tolerate cold. I never let the cold temps keep me indoors- I will layer up and run outside regardless of the temps because I hate the treadmill. The only thing I do avoid is ice- if there is ice on the road-I willl hit the treadmill for my run. Snow and slush don't keep me off the road just the ice. Unfortuanately there are times when there is just too much snow that it is not safe to run on the roads.

I live in the Lakes region and I am fortunate that I am also able to snowshoe behind my house and I will choose that over the treadmill whenever possible.

If you really want to be active and workout outdoors during the winter, you can do it. It just takes adjustments sometimes.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM

369 posts, read 961,540 times
I'd suggest taking up cross country skiing. There are plenty of places to ski without paying trail fees. No traffic to deal with. No exhaust to gack on. Just you, the woods and the zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz sound of the skis.

...and no impact on the joints... unless you fall down.

Snowshoeing is for those with no sense of balance.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,048,331 times
Oooo...I forgot cross country skiing.

Then of course there is the popular combo of cross country skiing & snow-shoeing (switching off for different terrain).

Another thing to remember in regard to "warmth" is that sweat is your enemy and you'll generate your own warmth working hard. Warm gloves/hat are a must (limit exposed skin); but you'll often find that when very active snow shoeing or XC skiing- you don't need much of a jacket or heavy pants. I was out doing a winter snowshoe hike and it was around -15 when we started not including the 30mph winds in open areas...I had a lot of winter clothes in my bag- but with the exception of my head/hands had nothing even near heavy on. Obviously you need to be prepared (have what you need if you need to suddenly stop said activity & deal with the cold)...but...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,897,208 times
Anna, there are no silly questions, especially when somebody is looking outside of the area that they are used to. Living in the south, you simply don't have exposure to the months of snow cover that you should expect if you move to New England (NH in particular!)

As the other posters have pointed out, it's possible to get out and exercise throughout much of the winter. If you can exercise on a trail instead of the road, all the better. Frequent snowfall and sloppy plow jobs can leave the road in poor condition for DRIVERS, which puts those who chose to run on the roads in danger. Many times, there is just not enough room on the road for 2 cars PLUS a pedestrian (or runner) to safely pass one another.

You mentioned walking/running in the neighborhood--that is different from running along the twisting curving roads that most runners and bicyclists like to exercise on. You would be much safer on the roads in a neighborhood setting. I walk my dogs every day in my neighborhood, but would not even consider venturing outside onto the main roads. Yet I see runners every day, and IMO they are putting their lives in danger. To each their own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_M View Post
Here comes a question that might sound silly, but, remember, I'm used to living in the South, so... :-)
In southern/middle New Hampshire, is it possible to exercise/workout OUTSIDE in winter months? By exercising/working out I mean primarily walking and running in the neighborhood. Is it something doable, considering the regular amount of snow, weather, etc.??
Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,987,490 times
and don't forget: shoveling and roof raking are still good exercise!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,874,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
and don't forget: shoveling and roof raking are still good exercise!
You beat me to it....

Thar's no excuse for not bein fit as a fiddle come spring, all the digging and snow shoein' should be all a body needs to stay trim, build abs even.

BF I assume you found some place to snow shoe by now, but if not comon' up heya' You can break trail fer me

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

223 posts, read 538,342 times
come shovel my walkway, driveway and roof.... Free membership, no annual dues!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM

586 posts, read 1,501,374 times
I downhill ski 3x/week, snow shoe, walk outside (hate running - I've tried many times...), shovel, and haul wood to exercise in winter. I also do wii-fit, but that's not outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire