Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times

Advertisements

You will definitely want to request a mounting block. I can't imagine that any stable would not recommend one to you at least for the first several months. Not everybody can 'fly' and most of us shouldn't attempt it.

My son was involved with therapeutic riding for a couple of years, and used a mounting block regularly. The horses are used to it, and it's good to be up off the ground before mounting.

Buck Naked, Londonderry lost a few of their horse stables in the last few years to commercial growth. Lucky 7 is still open, as is Beedee Farms. Twin Gate Farm on Mammoth Road changed names, but I still see horses in the fields each day, and last fall, lessons in the outdoor arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If there is a 17.5 hands high horse, how can there be no 16.5 hands horses? That don't make any sence to me.

Once I could get on a Belgian with no steeping stones or saddles. But it's been a while since I could fly that high.
Hands are used to measure the height of a horse at the highest point of the withers.

The number of whole hands is properly followed by a period, then the remaining height in inches. Therefore, a hand equals 4 inches - so the horse you described would be 66 inches tall - technically, the wording is 16.2 as in 16 hands plus 2 inches.

.5 brings you to 17.1 - it's not the same as math where .5 equals 1/2.

sorry to hear about the horse farms, Val - I see it up here too.... There used to be a dairy farm nearby - the farmer rented surrounding fields. The fields were sold recently without notification to the farmer. He was unable to continue operating and closed shop.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Buck I fly, so I got feathery finga's . A half hand to me is 2 fingers btw. (OT: 1 finger is 15 minutes counting the sun. Handy way to tell how much time is left before sunset out ridin')

Just neva' worried about how to get up there. I am a trail / enduro rider, alone mostly, think circa 1800-1840. It's been a while since i rode anything but a motorcycle though, unless a buckin Bob Cat counts and it should.

Mounting blocks are ok in a ring. I dreaded them trail riding with hiree's. The hiree's would fall off on the trail sometimes. I had to get down and try and lift them up. Sometomes i could and sometimes they just went over the far side and flopped.... Whatcha' gonna do?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Quote:
The hiree's would fall off on the trail sometimes. I had to get down and try and lift them up. Sometomes i could and sometimes they just went over the far side and flopped.... Whatcha' gonna do?
hahahah, that would be me LOL!!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
hahahah, that would be me LOL!!
I so hope it wasn't you.....

I'l tell ya some of these tourist ya gotta help get on a horse are real hard for a yankee boy like me to even touch. Them city wimin folks got lots of body parts. I find if you had to touch them once, they come back wanting to be touched MORE!

Once one wanted to sit in the back of a Farmington Spring Wagon, with the little tail gate down. (These are a sort of buck board but there is a left and right set of leaf springs, not fore and aft which is a buck board)

The horse stepped out smartly, which is pretty normal, and the women stayed exactly where she was in relation to space, untill nothing was under her. Gravity took effect, and she made no sound, motions to fly, nuthin. She just plopped on the ground and sat there laughing. So far as i can tell, this is reason 56 to not wear white slacks around horses.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
If there is a 17.5 hands high horse, how can there be no 16.5 hands horses? That don't make any sence to me.

Once I could get on a Belgian with no steeping stones or saddles. But it's been a while since I could fly that high.

17.5 would be 18.1

Last edited by Aptor hours; 03-10-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

18.1 is gittin' pretty tall for a saddle horse I might need to 'step off' on a shoe box to fly that high.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
18.1 is gittin' pretty tall for a saddle horse I might need to 'step off' on a shoe box to fly that high.
!

That is really tall for a riding horse

Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM

80 posts, read 276,111 times
Contact Tammy @ Mystical Stables Mystical Stables Home Page
My daughters and I took lessons from her, her daughter and her staff when we first moved here. Located in Raymond, great prices, laid back atmosphere, just really down to earth great people.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Any horse big enough to carry me is way too big to get on. A using chest high strrup just ain't gonna happen. Besides if I can no longer ride the Kawasaur (for sale btw) I doubt if I can ride a horse.

Good to see that horse farming still exists in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire