U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:51 PM

371 posts, read 669,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
Try Seabrook. Some of the nicest, most outgoing, hospitable people anywhere are here. It's one of those places where you can just start talking to a complete stranger and they're just like long time friends. It's a small town where people know each other.
And if you need a tattoo, fireworks, smokes or a quick peep show, you'll be in luck too

Just kidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM

242 posts, read 313,796 times
Go to Maine,people seem friendlier there,the seacoast of NH is full of snobs,wannabees and losers.Oh wait you're from Ca nevermind

Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 PM

755 posts, read 1,759,749 times
I think you'll find many many 20-30 somethings in NH are into the same things you are...especially the outdoors. My wife and I moved to NH 4 years ago and were in a similar situation. Especially around the seacoast, you'll find a lot of people come off as "cliquey", but that's not really the case. Many either simply grew up here or stayed in the area after college and maintain their circle of friends. Basically you'll have to be pro-active and seek people out, but once you do, you'll find this area to be a very welcoming place with incredible people.

Check out New Hampshire Sports & Social Club. It's a great, not too serious (if that's not obvious from the logo) sports league that has a HUGE number of 20-30 year olds in it from the seacoast area. Honestly I can't walk in downtown Portsmouth without seeing people I know from the leagues all over the place. I've met tons of great people and have developed a close (and large) circle of friends as a result of signing up for a stupid dodgeball league a few years back. Honestly it's one of the best moves I made once I moved to NH...

It will get easier come summer when there's a lot more activities happening and people are a lot more visible and out and about.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:10 PM

30 posts, read 20,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Go to Maine,people seem friendlier there,the seacoast of NH is full of snobs,wannabees and losers.Oh wait you're from Ca nevermind
Wow, it is still surprising that people can have such prejudice! Not EVERYONE from California fit into your ignorant stereotype. I moved here because I wanted a change; because I enjoy beauty. I was born in California, so I wasn't living there by choice. Once I finished my education, and earned enough money to save up for a move, I left. Learn to think outside the box.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
I think you'll find many many 20-30 somethings in NH are into the same things you are...especially the outdoors. My wife and I moved to NH 4 years ago and were in a similar situation. Especially around the seacoast, you'll find a lot of people come off as "cliquey", but that's not really the case. Many either simply grew up here or stayed in the area after college and maintain their circle of friends. Basically you'll have to be pro-active and seek people out, but once you do, you'll find this area to be a very welcoming place with incredible people.

Check out New Hampshire Sports & Social Club. It's a great, not too serious (if that's not obvious from the logo) sports league that has a HUGE number of 20-30 year olds in it from the seacoast area. Honestly I can't walk in downtown Portsmouth without seeing people I know from the leagues all over the place. I've met tons of great people and have developed a close (and large) circle of friends as a result of signing up for a stupid dodgeball league a few years back. Honestly it's one of the best moves I made once I moved to NH...

It will get easier come summer when there's a lot more activities happening and people are a lot more visible and out and about.
Thank you for the encouragement. I was actually doing some research about the NH Sports and Social Club, and was thinking about joining the bowling league and volleyball league. Where did you and your wife move from?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsmoreshallot View Post
Sounds like a good move What area are you in?
We live about 20 minutes west of Portsmouth. And yes, moving to NH was the best decision I ever made! Finally can breathe fresh air!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:59 PM

We moved from Ohio after I got out of grad school. Ocean, mountains, forests, no congestion...it was a pretty easy sell to us as we were dying to get out of the midwest. We rented at the beach for 3 years and recently bought our first house in Kensington...

As far as NHSSC is, I usually don't play in the summer leagues as I have way too many other hobbies fighting for time. In the winter, dodgeball is ridiculously fun and easily the most popular league. Something like close to 200 people played this past winter. Some of my friends played in the kickball league last summer and had a lot of fun though. I have played in the volleyball leagues for a couple of summers as well. It's fun but game times are short. You'll end up driving longer than you actually get to play. The setting on New Castle is impossible to beat though.

We actually ended just starting our own volleyball "league" together and play almost every week at Wallis Sands....usually Wednesdays after 6. If you find yourself in the area feel free to join in...

Old 04-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
We moved from Ohio after I got out of grad school. Ocean, mountains, forests, no congestion...it was a pretty easy sell to us as we were dying to get out of the midwest. We rented at the beach for 3 years and recently bought our first house in Kensington...

As far as NHSSC is, I usually don't play in the summer leagues as I have way too many other hobbies fighting for time. In the winter, dodgeball is ridiculously fun and easily the most popular league. Something like close to 200 people played this past winter. Some of my friends played in the kickball league last summer and had a lot of fun though. I have played in the volleyball leagues for a couple of summers as well. It's fun but game times are short. You'll end up driving longer than you actually get to play. The setting on New Castle is impossible to beat though.

We actually ended just starting our own volleyball "league" together and play almost every week at Wallis Sands....usually Wednesdays after 6. If you find yourself in the area feel free to join in...
That sounds really fun, actually. What did you attend graduate school for?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM

I went to school for environmental science...I work at an engineering firm specializing in soil and groundwater remediation..

Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM

19,127 posts, read 11,703,311 times
20 minutes west of Portsmouth is great! You can explore Porstsmouth and Manchester easy. You will find night life in both places, also along the beach roads.

You might consider saying what it is that floats yer stick.

There is plenty of shopping in both areas as well.

Motorcycles are big in NH in season too. With one of those, you can't help but meet up with people here. Not sure that floats yer stick.

Right now is a good time to get to maple sugar open houses, might be you need to go north some as the season is getting late in the southern parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire