Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

44 posts, read 106,534 times

Advertisements

Dear Forum members,

Here comes this very important (for me, anyway:-)) question that I hope to get an answer for :-) :
How often and how much can one expect his/her real estate (i.e., single family home) property taxes to rise? Does it happen with every and each appraisal cycle? How often do those happen? By how may hundreds/thousands of $$ can these taxes rise? Are such trends about the same throughout Southern NH?

Let's say the house is a new construction worth about $350,000-$400,000. What are the chances of its property taxes rising with the course of time? If so, about how much would be such a rise?

As always, thank to all of you who kindly take time to reply :-)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_M View Post
How often and how much can one expect his/her real estate (i.e., single family home) property taxes to rise? Does it happen with every and each appraisal cycle? How often do those happen? By how may hundreds/thousands of $$ can these taxes rise? Are such trends about the same throughout Southern NH?

Let's say the house is a new construction worth about $350,000-$400,000. What are the chances of its property taxes rising with the course of time? If so, about how much would be such a rise?
1) It depends, 2 years ago my taxes went down; past 2 years they have gone up. Property taxes are decided town to town- some towns have higher property taxes; some towns have lower property taxes- the variance is pretty large to be honest.

2) See above

3) Appraisal cycles are every 5 years (roughly), but tax rates are adjusted yearly. You get to voice your comments & vote on these topics at your yearly town meeting.

4) Average increase when there is an increase really can vary. I'd say on a 400k home- you probably won't see a 1 year increase over $1k...but note the "probably". My taxes have increased...but not by some shocking value in the thousands- ever. That said beware re-valuation of property if its waterfront or has a great mountain view...

5) Trends are town to town...but generally you can expect taxes to rise.

Lastly, while NH does have higher property taxes than many places (no income tax or sales tax though); you should be aware it's not like NJ or NY, etc where taxes on a 400k home can be like $20k/year.

Tax rates are available online (by town) as are tax histories...you can easily plot average growth and predict your future taxes.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM

48 posts, read 114,035 times
Default You can count on it.

Quote:
What are the chances of its property taxes rising with the course of time? If so, about how much would be such a rise?
If they keep trying to re-create Massachusetts up here, *all* taxes, including property tax, will shoot straight through the roof. NH is the last bastion for low(ish) taxes in the region, but it's unclear how long this feature will last. See The Tax Foundation - Educating Taxpayers Since 1937 for some very helpful information on taxes of all types.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
well, here's the thing: it can be different in different towns! some towns might be more stable, and others go up every year. A town might be stable for years and then have to build a new school and the taxes jump 23%. About the only thing you can count on, is that taxes usually go up. Sometimes they go down, but you can't really count on that (just be pleasantly surprised and take the win).

Go to your town meetings and make sure you vote on the budget. be aware of what they're using the money for. At least in most on NH, they aren't pocketing the money (like some states I can think of!).

Quote:
Dear Forum members,

Here comes this very important (for me, anyway:-)) question that I hope to get an answer for :-) :

As always, thank to all of you who kindly take time to reply :-)!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:35 AM

53 posts, read 130,655 times
I suspect that most towns will be seeing increases this year because so much is being cut at the State level and the State will require the local towns and schools to pay those costs (like retirement contributions, and also special education for the highest need students) instead.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
The best piece of advice is to pick the lowest taxed town you can find that you like the best. If you buy property in a high tax town you might have a very hard time selling it again.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The best piece of advice is to pick the lowest taxed town you can find that you like the best. If you buy property in a high tax town you might have a very hard time selling it again.
Hollis, Amherst, & Bedford- none of them have low taxes; but all are very popular. I think demand plays a big role as well- as does what you get for those taxes vs. where it's high for no apparent reason.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Hollis, Amherst, & Bedford- none of them have low taxes; but all are very popular. I think demand plays a big role as well- as does what you get for those taxes vs. where it's high for no apparent reason.
True, I was mainly applying my argument to the rural towns in the state. The very wealthy towns are exempt from my point as the people who can afford those towns don't generally worry about property tax rates as much...

Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Average increase when there is an increase really can vary. I'd say on a 400k home- you probably won't see a 1 year increase over $1k...but note the "probably". My taxes have increased...but not by some shocking value in the thousands- ever. That said beware re-valuation of property if its waterfront or has a great mountain view...

Lastly, while NH does have higher property taxes than many places (no income tax or sales tax though); you should be aware it's not like NJ or NY, etc where taxes on a 400k home can be like $20k/year.
NH is second only to NJ in property taxes. It doesn't offer much in return for your tax dollars, either. The super-high tax Exeter doesn't even include trash disposal in the tax bill; we pay an extra $3 for every single bag of trash, and if it doesn't fit in the bag, it will probably end up dumped in the woods.

Hampton Beach had a 40% tax jump a couple of years ago. Taxes there weren't exactly cheap before.

Our last 6-month bill increased by $700 (so up at least $1,400 this year, since taxes in Exeter NEVER go down), with a small wetland common area reassessed to add $100 to our bill instead of the previous $10 from each homeowner. This was a 10% increase in only 6 months, despite the never-ending Recession that continues to hurt all of us.

The homes on our street are all typical NH homes, usually colonials (not extended colonial mc-mansions) with no land or pools or special architectural interest (like ours). Since home prices in southern NH are still inflated, they have in the past sold in the $400's, but the same house in a reasonably priced-area would go for around $250K. Nevertheless, they are taxed at $12,500 to $14,000.

And politicians show no sign of caring that they're taxing both the young and the retired population out of their homes.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
NH is second only to NJ in property taxes. It doesn't offer much in return for your tax dollars, either.
Umm...isn't NH in the bottom 5 states for tax burden? It is very heavily dependent upon WHERE you live in the state as well on how much property tax is specifically.

Likewise as in NH, taxes in many other states depend on where you live in that state. Sure the average towns tax rate may be lower...but the majority of residents live in the more expensive rate towns (think NY) so therefore most people are paying very high taxes. The way they calculate "average rate" really skews things.

I've got friends in similarly priced homes in 4 different states who pay more in property taxes than I do...2 pay double; and I live in a more tax heavy NH town. Again- not saying its cheap; but it really depends on where you are coming from- specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire