U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've been trolling this forum for the past few weeks and thought I'd take a dip and say hello--and get some advice.
I'm moving this summer, with my husband and dog, to the Keene area for a year long school program. We are in our early 30's, no kids, born and raised in NY (we just sold our apartment in Brooklyn)

So...here's the deal: I'm having a hard time finding place to live! I scoured the internet, and there are mostly 1 bedrooms (have to do at least a 2-bdrm since my husband works from home and needs an office), or rooms to rent. And most places don't take dogs.

I've found a few homes to rent, so we'll be checking those out, so we'll see.
Any ideas on where to look? I've been checking online Keene newspaper, but again, it's mostly pets.

However, because my program is so decentralized, I can live anywhere in the area. Where else should we look? I was also thinking Brattleboro, but someone told me the ride to Keene can be treacherous in the winter (I wont be attending classes at Keene State every day, only once a week).

I'm also afraid of living somewhere too isolated, since my husband works from home. It would be nice if he could go to a coffee shop, and get the feel that he's around other people.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,776,732 times
After living in Brooklyn, I think anyplace in NH will feel isolated to you.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:41 AM

143 posts, read 194,698 times
My son just got accepted to UNH Law (we're from NY too) and have been looking in the Concord area. I'm shocked at how high the rents are and without heat being included in the rent. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,763,296 times
Keene is a lovely small college town with a great atmosphere, I hope you are there for the Halloween pumpkin festival!

If you want to be able to walk to a coffee shop then you should probably be looking in Keene. Otherwise if you want to go for the village atmosphere you can look into Jaffrey, where Yankee magazine is published.

If you decide to live in VT keep in mind the Green Mountain state will dip its hand into your wallet for income taxes, which NH does not do. I can't say I'd want to do the drive from Brattleboro to Keene either on some of those nasty winter days.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM

586 posts, read 962,934 times
I was born and raised on Long Island and for 39 years lived in or near NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and Washington DC.

I don't feel isolated in NH -- I feel like I have finally found space and peace.

It all depends on your outlook and what you are looking for.

That said, OP, if you want to feel like you are in a great little town/city, do look in Keene proper. Brattleboro has a similar vibe but you have the winter commute to consider..not a deal-breaker for all but would be for some.

Also, politically and tax-wise, VT and NH are very different. VT is way more liberal/crunchy and NH is more libertarian. No income tax in NH combined with no property tax might be really appealing to you... But -- especially compared to NY politics, you might find that neither state is too extreme compared to what you are used to. And things that can sometimes raise eyebrows in NH [dreadlocks, body piercings] that you see in Keene and Brattleboro and Burlington barely even register on my radar -- I don't even "see" it.

For the most part it's a pretty accepting, welcoming place as long as you don't try and turn it into the place from whence you came.

Welcome to NH - I hope you love it as much as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire