Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM

143 posts, read 871,105 times

Advertisements

I've just been reading the post on about worst place to live in NH and about the best places.

Now a lot was mentioned about how NH is changing which I feel sorry for the natives.

What I want to know is why and this has happened in southern florida and other places in america.

why do people move out of massachusetts, new york , new jersey, states that have been ruined in many peoples eyes to high taxes, high cost of living, giving welfare out easily, etc etc then go and move to a state like NH which was cheaper, more conservative, believes in letting people work for their money, cheaper taxes, cheaper cost of living then they change the state to what they had escaped by voting for the same people who ruined the state you left.

for instance I've met people who have moved from say massachusetts and I asked them why.

usual answer is well the taxes were high, the roads were never fixed, our tax money was never spent on what the state needed , we don't agree with gay marriage or the liberal ways on spending etc
I ask them well who did you vote for in massachusetts

they answer democrat

I say well who you voting for now you've moved and escaped massachusetts
they say democrat

I say er let me get this right you voted for these people and they ruined the state you left right

they say yes

I say well now you're still going to vote for the same party again ,and what happens like in south florida and they ruin that area again

they never know what to say

Me well I'm totally mystified can anyone actually explain why they vote for something they don't like then they move and then they do it to the new state they've moved in, so they now ruin it for the locals

just look at south florida and now according to some on here NH is going the same way

think about it you left the state because of high taxes etc you are moving to a cheaper state but you vote the same way what ruined your old state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM

23 posts, read 94,777 times
I don't know personally. I'm leaving behind a lot of things I don't like in Virginia, though much of that is the culture and the climate, so even if I wanted to inadvertently bring any of that with me, I couldn't. I want to enjoy and adopt the ways of life I've read about in the state.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times
I agree. So many people are moving here from Mass because of high taxes and then most-not all-vote for people who want to institute an income tax, seatbelt law, smoking ban and other Nannie State mentality laws.

Unfortunately, this happens everywhere. I grew up in Southern New Jersey and it was a great place to live until all the New Yorkers moved there. I moved to New Hampshire because they had a live free or die attitude, but that appears to be going away.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I'm moving to NH for other reasons, not just 'cheaper.' While it's a bit less expensive there than here in NY, it's not ENORMOUSLY cheap. I'm not bringing the sale of my McMansion to fund my family...we just like the idea of living in a beautiful, less crowded area that isn't all about $ and what you own. I also will enjoy traveling somewhere and NOT having to drive through NYC..

Old 07-30-2007, 05:56 PM

this is all out of curiousity

I just can't figure why people escaping their state feel then they vote the same way as the old state

I'm in florida the north though which is untouched compared to the south florida, very countryesque, old south, etc

people from the north east moved down to palm beach, ft lauderdale , west palm that area, now the area is horrible and a lot what moved down there voted like they did in massachusets(for instance) now they complain about the taxes, high cost, traffic, roads, immigrants, yet they voted for that and now want to move again.

so just wondering why they do it.

NH it seems to me is a great state from what I've seen and I just hope it doesn't turn out like some of it's neighbouring states, as I do enjoy it there

should have a sign saying

you are now entering a free nanny state with no income tax ,if you don't lilke it then please take the next exit for a u turn

I'm not from manchester NH either but manchester UK and always felt that if it isn't broken then leave it alone and don't change it

Old 07-30-2007, 06:16 PM

453 posts, read 2,100,728 times
luckily this transplant is a libertarian, likes the government here, and will add one vote to keeping it free

Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
luckily this transplant is a libertarian, likes the government here, and will add one vote to keeping it free
I'm glad for all the libertarians moving to NH. Perhaps that will slow the downward slide. I don't think it will stop it, though. It started when the people elected Shaheen governor, and it's been going down hill since.

The state is not going to be without a sales and/or an income tax for long.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:01 PM

really

that will be a real shame,

why would people if they've moved there want to have less in their pockets, doesn't make sense to me but saying that I'm from England

Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,766 times
I assume they do that because they don't believe, or don't understand, that it was big-government policies that led to those problems in their home state. If they believed that smaller government was better than big government, then they wouldn't have voted for Democrats in their home state. I think they're just continuing to do what they know. Unfortunately, that's having a negative effect on the state. I would be awfully disappointed to see NH institute a sales or income tax because of the long-term problems that it would cause.

It is up to the natives and libertarian transplants to keep these big-government types in check before they ruin the great state of NH.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times
It will be very sad if these changes continue. My husband and I both work with people who have come from other states. They will move to a place that doesn't have much because they can get a McMansion where a farm used to be. Then they complain because there is no Walmart,Home Depot and they have to drive 20 minutes. Then they want all those stores in their town. The next town is even too far away. That really bugs me. You moved there and you did not research this? Why did they not move to Nashua, Salem, etc. Oh that's right they could not afford a large bragging home then.

We moved to NH because we wanted to live here, not come here and change it. A lot of people-not all-move here because they made a killing on a home in another state. They come here buy a mcmansion that a lot of natives could never afford and then complain about it here. That bugs me. You choose to move here and want to change it.

Now are there things that I don't like about New Hampshire-of course. Were there things to get used to whe we moved here? Sure. I felt the people were a little rude-explained to me as "reserved" but I did not try to change them. The food was a little different. There were adjustments but I chose to live here so in my opinion I should deal with them or leave-not act like I am superior and change things. I moved to an existing home not on a space where they leveled a 200 year old farm to build. I moved to New Hampshire because I liked the state, its live free or die mentality, its beauty, its independent spirit. I did not move here expecting to be accomodated like a lot of people I work with have. Again not all people moving here are like this but unfortunatlely a lot are which has changed this state in many ways. I have lived here since 1999 and it has changed drastically. Then again I guess that could be said about anywhere.

So like others mentioned, I hope more like minded people move here and we can reclaim and keep the New Hampshire mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire