Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Union Leader provide objective and quality news reporting?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:36 PM

247 posts, read 538,276 times

Advertisements

I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe . . . Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger. I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing. Make them intelligent, and they will be vigilant; give them the means of detecting the wrong, and they will apply the remedy."
Daniel Webster
"The proper function of a government is to make it easy for the people to do good, and difficult for them to do evil. "
Daniel Webster
"If religious books are not widely circulated among the masses in this country, I do not know what is going to become of us as a nation. If truth be not diffused, then error will be. If God and His Word are not known and received, the devil and his works will gain the ascendency. If the evangelical volume does not reach every hamlet, the pages of a corrupt and licentious literature will. If the power of the gospel is not felt throughout the length and breadth of this land, anarchy and misrule, degradation and misery, corruption and darkness will reign without mitigation or end."
Daniel Webster
"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world."
Daniel Webster

These are quotes by Daniel Webster,that does not mean I agree with everything in them.Some progress is inevitable.Remember it is capitalism that made this country great and also that capitalism is destroying it due to the greediness of human nature.I think Daniel Webster understood that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Speaking of the Concord Monitor: there's an incredible story over at www.nhisider.com which tells how the Monitor reporting staff made up, out of thin air, a "story" that over 70 to 80 members of the NHGOP were ready to side with the NH democratic party & remove republican speaker of the house O'Brien from office !?

This was shown to be a lie by a republican state rep. who blogs over there. Say what you will about the UL but they would never pull a stunt like the Monitor did.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 05-04-2011 at 01:41 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 AM

81 posts, read 116,353 times
Unfortunately, I think they are more alike than different. On the front page of the UL, they ran a picture titled "Taking the measure of the northern pass" I don't think it appeared in the online version. The picture showed one of the new "proposed" towers photo shopped into an existing picture of towers on a PSNH right of way. The existing towers were said to be 51 feet tall and the "new" towers were stated to be 95 feet tall. Basically twice as tall but in the picture they were only slightly larger and if depicted at 95 feet, they wouldn't have fit in the picture. When there was a public hearing in the NH House about eminent domain, hundreds of citizens from around the state showed up to voice their concerns but the Monitor showed a picture of the mayor of Franklin, one of the very few who favored allowing private companies to take our land with eminent domain. The caption read: "The mayor of Franklin, surrounded by a crowd of supporters..." He was surrounded by a crowd of supporters of the bill that he was there to oppose. They made it look and sound like he had a crowd of supporters. The picture was also in section B while the front page was reserved for the real news about the New London sewer upgrade. We have to learn to read between the lines if we want the truth about what's going on, no matter what the source.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
One thing I think we can agree on Hick is that most news organs in the U.S. are corrupt.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Remember it is capitalism that made this country great and also that capitalism is destroying it due to the greediness of human nature.I think Daniel Webster understood that.
I couldn't disagree more. What's destroying this country is ever expanding government at all levels and a growing entitlement attitude.

Human nature is inherently "greedy" - but in a capitalistic society how is that a bad thing? People can only accumulate wealth by satisfying the wants of their customers. Those "greedy" businessmen will strive to deliver a better product a lower cost to obtain more wealth - everybody wins.

Greed becomes a problem when it is facilitated by coercive force rather than voluntary cooperation for a mutual gain. To this end, government is the greatest offender.

The truth is we've been moving increasingly further away from capitalism and have predictably suffering as a result. Unfortunately, the decline of our economic system (which has been caused largely by government action/intervention) has been used as a pretext to expand government to an even great extent.

What we need now is more capitalism, more freedom, and less government.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
What's a newspaper?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire