Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times

Advertisements

Took a short putt ( good thing too, we avoided the afternoon deluge! ) and stopped by a little conservation area on route 27 we have passed by hundreds of times before

The overcast sky made for some nice shots

from Lindas lense

ever get the feeling I am comfortable roaming around the woods?

A much too short, but much needed ride, just enough to get out , bark the pipes and have a bit of fun..now on to the foodie stuff...

Places I wished I could say I liked...New Mexican resturant opens up on the West side of town, Graces. The recent trend in the city is mom and pop Cantinas and Taquería, and I like to try as many as I can.

The staff on hand were the and daughter, and I enjoyed the noise coming from the kitchen,the smells, the sound of the portable radio pumping out Mexican tunes.

I was amused by the banter between them as they jostled between good natured ribbing, and genuinely being pissed at each other, then right back to humor again.

I enjoyed all this , it is a shame I did not enjoy the food..

Looks good don't it? Looks can be deceiving my friends. Ok, to be fair the marinated pork ( Pastor) was not only edible, but rather tasty, a good medium usage of Anise too.. I got a combo taco platter that included two of the Pastors and two shredded beef, I also asked for a sample of Chorizo and received one at a nominal fee..fair enough.

The Chorizo was standard fair, the corn tacos, though freshly made seemed oddly stale, and Linda's enchiladas were well..weird, unlike any we have tasted, and not in a good way.

It is a shame, because we like doing business with local independents. And we like adding new places to our retun visit list.. I don't see this as being one.

However I can still hardily recommend an old favorite.. Goodie Coles in Brentwood NH.

If you are ever in NH and find yourself on 101 heading to the beach from Manchester and points west, or from the beach from the east, hop of exit 7 and head south. There will be a little hole in the wall rib shack on the right.
If you are on the bike the smoke would have hit your nose before you turn into the driveway, if it is a beautiful spring, summer or fall day, chances are you will rub elbows with lots of other hungry bikers, all hankering for good solid, if not outstanding bbq.

Goodie Coles claim to fame in my eyes is their pulled pork

Almost always a good amount of bark mixed in with the meat, usually with a good rub mixture, always moist , and never stringy. Never EVER sauced down. Sauces come on the side thank you, you want it wet..you make it wet!

We ate there yesterday and I also got the ribs. They were moist but under rubbed, still good sweet pig meat though, a little sweet, medium and hot sauce mixed together spiced things up nicely, but never over powered the meat.

Goodies offers the standard array of sides..the coleslaw is eh, the beans are ok, if I remember right the chilli ( though not an included side ) is doable. Linda likes the mac and cheese, but I am not a mac and cheese fan. I recommend you stay away from the Jambalya.

Goodies also offers, brisket, kielbasa , smoked chicken ( nice moist slow smoked bird meat) turkey and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire