Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Hey kaotic
I'm a Realtor (gulp) but please don't hold that against me
First I do have to say (I shoot myself in the foot time after time) that it is true--you can get alot more house for the money in other areas. My brother and his wife and kids left this area about a year ago for Lexington KY, and just love it. They can actually afford for mom to work part-time only, have a nice home and taxes are reasonable as well. That said, most people who leave this area can only take it for a few years before they need to come back!!

There are a multitude of homes in the 260K range, certainly no McMansion but decent houses. Epping has one of the lower tax ranges of towns in that 125/101 area, and some nice homes in neighborhood settings. Lee/Madbury/Durham are Oyster River, and taxes are through the roof.

Is the school district a consideration for you? Nearby Auburn or Chester might work, although Auburn does send HS students to Manchester (which may or may not work for you) Professional courtesy doesn't allow me to offer you help with looking at listings, however your agent should be providing you with every listing (including property address) that falls within your criteria. I do know that there ARE homes out there that are well maintained and not trash strewn. 260K might not get you much in Derry/Londonderry, but check out Danville/Sandown, maybe Brentwood?

I do have to speak in defense of Realtors and the asking prices of homes. As much as we would like to set home prices realistically, the owner is the one who sets the price. Sometimes they NEED to set the price there to be able to pay off the mortgage (seems everyone has cashed out the equity in their homes over the last couple of years) and now they need to make that money back, or will have to bring money to the closing table to sell that house. There have been several listings that I have refused to take because the Seller has unrealistic expectations of what their home will sell for. Price it too high and it will sit for months without being shown (then Seller's get mad because the Agent isn't doing their job.). Price too low, and it will start being shown immediately, and offers might start actually coming in (then Seller's get mad because the Agent priced it too low and the Seller will lose money for not pricing it higher) Prices are definitely coming down all the time, seeing a home price drop 10, 20 or 30,000 in a couple of months is not unheard of...
Dont listen to this lady i live in Epping and i payed 375,000 fo rmy house in a so called luxury neighborhood called Woodland Estates. Its a great neighborhood for kids and thats why we moved here. But i have an half an acre and almost paying 7,500 in taxes. Its very close to everything thats another reason we picked epping. The taxes are becoming like Exeter and stratham with all the growth within the city. Its a good choice an dthe school system is getting much better. You can buy homes in bigger neighborhoods also. But she dosent know wat she is talkin about cause epping is getting very expensive taxes wise. But this town is growing and growing so be ready for taxes to climb. U can get a decent home for 260,000 dollars in one of the developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM

132 posts, read 350,750 times
Angry Val Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMassLivedNH2 1/2 year View Post
Dont listen to this lady i live in Epping and i payed 375,000 fo rmy house in a so called luxury neighborhood called Woodland Estates. Its a great neighborhood for kids and thats why we moved here. But i have an half an acre and almost paying 7,500 in taxes. Its very close to everything thats another reason we picked epping. The taxes are becoming like Exeter and stratham with all the growth within the city. Its a good choice an dthe school system is getting much better. You can buy homes in bigger neighborhoods also. But she dosent know wat she is talkin about cause epping is getting very expensive taxes wise. But this town is growing and growing so be ready for taxes to climb. U can get a decent home for 260,000 dollars in one of the developments.

You need to read Val's post again. She said "Epping has one of the lower tax ranges of towns in that 125/101 area, and some nice homes in neighborhood settings. Lee/Madbury/Durham are Oyster River, and taxes are through the roof." Not Epping is cheap!!! There are no CHEAP property taxes in NH, however it has the lowest tax rate of the four. This Lady, as you refer to her, has always given invaluable info on this board and she does so on her own time without expecting anything in return. If you want to give your input as to what you are personally experiencing in Epping, you can do so without the personal attacks!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
You seem to have taken offense to my post, and I'm not quite sure why. However, since you've chosen to announce that "I don't know anything", I'd like to share some information that I have in hand: a tax bill from Epping (5/2007), showing the rate at 18.65 per thousand. In comparison, the 11/2007 bill I have for Durham shows a rate of 28.24, and Lee is 23.34. So I stand behind my original statement that Epping doesn't carry quite the tax burden of the Oyster River towns. Perhaps the tax reset sometime after August 3, 2007 when I originally posted the response.

I'm sorry that your tax bill is $7500. However, I'd like to also share with you that according to MLS data, $330,000 was the highest amount paid ever for a "luxury home" in Woodlands Estates. Perhaps you bought a For Sale by Owner property, in which case the data wouldn't be available except through the assessor's database. The amount you paid is so much higher than other homes in the neighborhood that it most likely does stand out to the town assessment department. Perhaps you should be going to town hall to request an abatement.

Have a nice day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMassLivedNH2 1/2 year View Post
Dont listen to this lady i live in Epping and i payed 375,000 fo rmy house in a so called luxury neighborhood called Woodland Estates.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:13 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleybell00 View Post
You need to read Val's post again. She said "Epping has one of the lower tax ranges of towns in that 125/101 area, and some nice homes in neighborhood settings. Lee/Madbury/Durham are Oyster River, and taxes are through the roof." Not Epping is cheap!!! There are no CHEAP property taxes in NH, however it has the lowest tax rate of the four. This Lady, as you refer to her, has always given invaluable info on this board and she does so on her own time without expecting anything in return. If you want to give your input as to what you are personally experiencing in Epping, you can do so without the personal attacks!
Kelly thanks for saying that. You beat me to the punch. FromMassLivedNH2 1/2 year, dont insult the people on this thread. Valerie has been a wonderful asset to the NH site. She is extremely knowlegable and helpful to anyone that asks for it. We all listen to her as she gives great insite to all kinds of things in NH, not just realestate. We all try to respect each other here, please do the same.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Kelly thanks for saying that. You beat me to the punch. FromMassLivedNH2 1/2 year, dont insult the people on this thread. Valerie has been a wonderful asset to the NH site. She is extremely knowlegable and helpful to anyone that asks for it. We all listen to her as she gives great insite to all kinds of things in NH, not just realestate. We all try to respect each other here, please do the same.
Yes-Thanks Kelly and Suzett for beating me to the punch too as I just read this now. ValerieC is a wonderful asset to this site and one of the most respectful people on this site. She is kind and always willing to help out and I respect her opinion.

Nicolem

Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Yes- ValerieC is a wonderful asset to this site and one of the most respectful people on this site. She is kind and always willing to help out and I respect her opinion.

Nicolem
I totally agree. Keep up the good work, Val. Your insight and information is top notch.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,347 times
Smile Thank You Suzet!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

THANK YOU TO SUZET, KELLEY, NICOLE, etc.

FOR YOUR POSTS!!

YES, VALERIE C

has been an incredible ASSET to everyone on this board. And she takes the

time to be HELPFUL with quick answers, and great tips, and she is NOT

getting paid for it. She has also been a FRIEND to everyone here,

always offering GREAT ADVICE!! And I also RESPECT what she has

to say

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE POSTER "FROMMASSLIVEDNH2 1/2 year"

has to be so RUDE!!

We do not NOT need to be RUDE, or disrespectful, if we do not agree with

something. That behavior is totally uncalled for

PLEASE LETS TRY TO RESPECT EVERYONE HERE!!!

And she is RIGHT, if you paid more than what shows on the MLS, it was

probably a "FOR SALE BY OWNER", which ironically always seem to have

higher prices $ than listings from a Realtor.

But again, regardless of your experience, your behavior & attitude towards

VALERIE C is really OUT OF LINE!!!

THANK YOU VALERIE, FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO ON THIS BOARD FOR EVERYONE THAT ASKS!:0)

Have a nice day

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post

Last edited by countrylv22; 02-29-2008 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: THANK YOU VALERIE C FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! :0)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:43 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Default Thank you ALL!!

A really big THANK YOU to Kelley, Suzette, Nicole, JThibodeau and Country for coming to my defense with this person. I was away for a couple of days, and just noticed that you guys jumped in immediately. I'm really touched by your comments, and I'm just happy to know that you guys find some of what I can offer to be helpful.... thank you again

Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Well of course we are going to come to your defense!! This is an example of how we all look out for one another. I love this NH Forum, and have met some wonderful people here. I dont like people talking down to my ladies...lol. I have always said to be respectful while posting on here. I am happy to say that 99% of the time everyone is.

Valerie, you give all of us great information. I look forward to what you are going to tell us next. I have learned a lot from clicking on the links you provide, or in just something you say. I even have a new whoopie pie recipe to try. I think you are a very nice lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire