Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times

Advertisements

agreed - removing the publicly drunk high school students most likely tamed the event. lol

The City Council in Laconia cut Bike Week vendor fees for people who sell their wares outside of "The Weirs" boardwalk area during the annual gathering.

The fee dropped for those vendors from $450 to $150. City officials felt the idea would attract more vendors during the nine-day event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Buck The main reason why Laconia MCW was changed is because the public & business sponsered sexual displays were getting out of control. I live here in central NH & I can assure you that the growing public sexual content of LMCW was addressed by the Laconia police & city as a matter of concern, and Laconia made the changes that we see today. The city of Laconia was losing control of the event because of the aggressive sexual situation that was developing in public & at some of the private business establishments.

LMCW had become, in a very short time, something lik a mass sex festival. Laconia did not change the event because they wanted to take the "fun"out of the week. They did it to gain control of the event.

Whatever changes were made were made for revenue porpuses not to protect anyone. Bike WEEK is a profit driven week, bike week is not now nor has ever been Motorcycle Weekend. Bike Week is a festival designed to bring in as many people as possible to sell goods and services, Motorcycle Weekend was more in line with the original Gypsy Tour, bikers gathered together that did not need or want the tourists gathering and mingling with them. Local or gyspy vendors who gained or lost reputation on the goods they sold quickly, not Cookie cutter vendors all selling the same crap. It was wild and was wild for most of its existence, Bike Week is not even 20 years into it's.

What you could expect is if you were a wannabe ( in their eyes) a *** rider, or a woman is to be brutalized, have your bike burned or yes be groped or worse.. your choice, go and take you chances or stay away. Right or wrong, there was no one forcing you to go.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
exactly right Dave - it's changed over the years, but only to become a longer party. Most people don't even go to the MC races or the hill climb anymore. It's all about the vendors and the shopping. gotta' get that T-shirt or pin to prove you were there.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
The old motorcycle weekends before the start of the 90s MCW events were indeed more hardcore.....I was around then. But those weekend events, hardcore as they could get, never had the open sexual situations that the MCW events of the late 90s developed into. The event is very tightly controled now because of what happened when the old weekend event went week-long.

BTW I would be happy if the event went back to its old weekend roots......having this event spread all over the area for 8 or 9 days is nuts.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The old motorcycle weekends before the start of the 90s MCW events were indeed more hardcore.....I was around then. But those weekend events, hardcore as they could get, never had the open sexual situations that the MCW events of the late 90s developed into. The event is very tightly controled now because of what happened when the old weekend event went week-long.

BTW I would be happy if the event went back to its old weekend roots......having this event spread all over the area for 8 or 9 days is nuts.

on that we agree

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I didn't get a T shirt....... I don't do skulls, or demons..... It's milber toast like these days. I went Wed night for fireworks.

Riders are down, the cops were down, no sheriff dept at all so far as i could tell. Just lots of sheep.

My Bil and Sil went for the first time. He rode up from MD in the rain the whole way, and left today probably got more rain on the way out.

We went to see the lupins in the rain on sugar hill, and toured in the nawth.

1 day no rain, another day not much... the rest rain and more rain...

I did get water proof gloves....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire