Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 04:36 PM

40 posts, read 78,690 times

Advertisements

Obviously I am aware that this is sort of a silly question but which station/web site do you all depend on for the most accurate forecast in the White Mountains? We want to hike this week sometime (was hoping for Tues) and I am getting conflicting reports. The only two sources I know of are WMUR and the weather channel. Does anyone know of anywhere else I can check???
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
These are the two I go by and they're pretty accurate. Take your rain gear.

Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium: Detailed Forecast

On this one just click on the map for your location.
National Weather Service Forecast Office - Portland-Gray,Maine

Old 06-11-2011, 09:14 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
AccuWeather.com (http://www.accuweather.com/ - broken link)

Love the option for long-range forecasts!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 PM

40 posts, read 78,690 times
Thank you

Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Expect anything. Be prepared for anything. by the time they get a forcast put together the conditions have changed. Mountain weather can change from beautiful to dangerous in minutes. Be very careful and enjoy.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:38 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,705 times
Traditional mass market weather sources (tv, radio, weather.com) won't give you the detail you'll need for the summits and wilderness areas (they are ok for the populated valleys).

I would use
Mount Washington Observatory (MWOBS) – Higher Summits Forecast

Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha10 View Post
We want to hike this week sometime (was hoping for Tues) and I am getting conflicting reports.
First off the other folks provided great suggestions (MWOBS predictions in particular). That said I can't echo GregW's messages about preparedness enough. The White Mountains have some of the most rapidly changing and extreme weather on earth, people actually come here to "train" before going to other much higher peaks around the world. Every week once it gets nice you can read about someone needing rescue, getting hurt, or worse. Obviously some of these are true accidents that couldn't be avoided- it happens. Yet way too many (the majority) are folks who went out hiking on a nice day, with a weather report for a nice day, and the day turned very-not-nice half way into their hike.

Anyway, you may know all this; but I just want to echo it...again

Personally I'm most comfortable knowing that in my day pack I have not only my lightweight rain gear and some compact cold weather gear- but also some emergency means of surviving the night in a pinch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire