Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM

142 posts, read 346,150 times

Advertisements

I am embarrassed by what I said. My mother always said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything. I taught my daughters this and could not stick by it myself. Sorry,this is not usual for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk590 View Post
I am embarrassed by what I said. My mother always said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything. I taught my daughters this and could not stick by it myself. Sorry,this is not usual for me.
dont worry about it....you are female, highly emotional, and a squirrelly mess at times

Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 PM

142 posts, read 346,150 times
Thanks Mainebrokerman. Found one lawyer on the website who will do free 1st consult. It is a good site.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Sorry to say this, but bad tenants can do tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage before you get them out (especially if they have kids). All she can do now is start the process. Since they are penniless, there is nothing to go after. If this is subsidized housing, I thought the government made the landlord whole??

Anyway, if your daughter is taking money from the government to rent to low life, this is what she should expect almost every time. I've got a friend that tried this and his apartments were trashed over and over and over again. He sold them and lost a ton of money.

If that's not the case, then your daughter needs to do a credit check and criminal record check on every tenant. She should require a completed application, references, large security deposit and an enforceable lease. If she can't do this and still rent the house, she should sell it.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Based on the trouble I routinely have getting double income couples to qualify for mortgages, I would say it's extremely unlikely that they will be buying a home anytime soon. Money under the table can't be documented and it won't count towards a buyer's ability to pay. Even if they do have a house in mind, chances are it won't qualify for USDA RD financing due to it's condition, something a For Sale By Owner either doesn't know or won't disclose to a prospective buyer.

Your daughter needs to speak with her lender ASAP about doing a short sale or a deed in lieu of foreclosure to get out from this house. She also may want to consult with an attorney that works on a sliding scale to learn what her rights are.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:32 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
It sounds like these low-lifes have a false sense of security. Thinking that having kids will shield them from eviction (it won't - not even in VT) or that taxpayers will foot the bill for a roof over their heads.

I've been down this road mroe than once and almost always all it takes is for the landlord to file suit and have the sheriff serve papers and they will slink away. Once in a while a tenant will stay and fight. They usually don't because the ones that are gaming the system know that an eviction on their record will make it impossible to get more taxpayer freebies.

My advice: file an eviction lawsuit but NOT for non-payment, instead file for eviction based breach of contract (like not keeping the place in habitable condition or allowing other people to live there etc.) The reason is that if you file based on non-payment, all the tenant has to do is go cry boohoo to some do-gooder non-profit and convince them that the mean landlord is throwing them out on the street with their little kids so they will send you rent. Once they pay rent or have it paid on their behalf, your eviction lawsuit turns into a pumpkin and you get to start from scratch.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,805 times
your daughter can go to the town health inspector and the fire department.The hoarding are both violations. If she has kids you might want to call the state welfare department. With broken glass ect, on the floor the kids could be at risk. It will cost your daughter about 125.00 to take her to court. she need the paper work for a notice to quit and a demand for rent. The tenant has 7 days to move out or go to court. also while she is at the court house getting the paperwork as the clerk what else she will need to file with the court. she will have to wait for the 7 days to be over before she can serve her with the papers to go to court. If your daughter can try to take as many pictures as she can. The tenant has to let your daughter in the house but must give her 48 hours notice to enter. while there she can take all the pictures she needs. Good luck keep us posted.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
She needs a few lessons on being a landlord.
If she does not or cannot then don't be a landlord.

You cannot discriminate but you can legally state the number of people allowed to rent.
My neighbor always states one bedroom. Which weeds out a bunch.
You can also ask for a credit report. You can also state no smoking. And no pets.
If they have high debts or low documented income you are allowed to not rent. Renters have to be able to afford.

Sadly, the courts are mostly in favor of the renter as the landlord is assumed to be rich.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
dates people check dates.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,466 times
I am also having a problem getting someone out. I rented my cottage to my son with a rental agreement stateing no one is to occupy the premises for more than 1 week without permission from me. My son let his girlfriendand her son move in and has been there for a couple of months. She dont pay anything, she collects foodstamps using a different address, she argues with my son all the time and carries on outside of the house so all the neighbors can hear. She threatens to call the cops all the time. I asked her to please move out and she said she will not go anywhere unless I give her an eviction notice. I went on the site so I knew I was doing things the legal way and I sent her a certified notice asking her to vacate the premises within 10 days andshe told me that is not a ligit eviction notice and she wants the sherriff to deliver one. The next step is to get a writ sent and it will cost 125.00 to do that. I dont have 125.00 to pay for it. I never wanted a landlords responsibility and thats why I only rented to family.he is not helping matters by just letting her stay there and not b telling her not to put me through this. Now I am stuck until I can pay to have a writ sent. I dont even know if I could get her for the time she has been there and hasnt paid anything where it was not rented to her to begin with. In the mean time my water bill keeps going up with 2 extra people living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire