Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

I know that dinner been there..... Not too bad for a mom and pop joint either

Cat fish is just another kind of dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:13 PM

96 posts, read 620,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Cat fish is just another kind of dirt.

Lots of big catfish here in the Snake river,wouldn't eat one though. I do remember eating a lot of horned pout that we caught out of Lake Winnipesaukee.Except when I called a catfish a horned pout out here no one knew what I was talking about.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Where the heck did you get theb pouts in Winnie? Musta been down ta' Alton. Them's swamp fish!

I could see Mirror lake twixt Wolfboro and Melvin, but in the lake?

Besides you don't really fish for pouts you hunt em. I go out all night still sometimes and hunt en down just for grins. The beach and sit about making a croaking noise.

Yeah I know you can fish em, but it doesn't seem very fair.

Winnie is over run with big sport boats these days. If you got a boat that won't seat 30 or go 90 it don't count. I don't bother with it there anymore, unless I get an invite on a blow boat (sail)

I like sailing and the more scared I get the better I like it, so I go off the beaten path and sail in this. With the right wind it gets scarey too.

very dated pics

Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Nice rig mac. Is that your invention. I like that steering wheel.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Nice rig mac. Is that your invention. I like that steering wheel.
In part it is. The canoe is a WW-1 vintage Old Town Otka.

The sail is 1926 pillow ticking, which was what was left of a bolt of it tossed in the trash during the last rehab of the Eagle Mountain House.

The wheel is from a old wicker baby buggy, less the solid tire I cut off, and long spliced a cotton horse lead to.

The mast step is made of what was left of a maghony dresser.

The lee board mount is a big red oak dowel, and the boards are just heavy painted cdx plywood.

There have been 4 rudders, 3 of them are in the bottom of Lake Sebago , and while I still have the aircraft alloy mast as shown, it has been replaced with Spruce.

In that sailing pic I was clocked by the pictuer takers husband as i over took them in a coming on strong T storm on Sebago, at a little better than 17 knots. Not too bad. I don't usually have both boards down, but I do when I am scared enough.

At that time I hadn't figured out the How To of getting the boat emptied of water from a capsize, but have since. It takes a while though.

The canoe is no longer black either. I had a problem with it being black, as capsized it was just a bit to monster like to suit me. Odd thing I know.
But it just gave me the creeps one too many times just the same.

So I painted it like real birch bark instead. Not White with black, but like real bark canoes were, where it was the tan cambium side of the bark showing, with the darker almost purple markings. The boards and wheel look the same still.

There was a little time between the 1st pic and the 2nd, but not much. There is no back standing stays in the 1st but the mast is bending. That lent to the idea some stays would help.

So they are in the 2nd pic, just dropping, since they are used to pull the mast on each tack to windward. That means each time you come about the new wind stay is snugged up and the old stay going to leeward gets loosened.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM

96 posts, read 620,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Them's swamp fish!
True, but when you're a kid you will eat anything.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Nope not me. My dad was a fly only man, and i was spoiled rotten on trouts. I used to try and fish out sunnies, grubbies, blue gills and assorted other warm water fish and give them to farmers for corn. I still remember him yelling at me for drownin' worms...

I got to one him him once in his later years. I learned about plants, that will stun every fish in the area. They come belly up and stay that way long enough you can dip them in a net. The rest flip back over and swim away. No flys no rods no dollars spent.

But that is my fishin secret. I won't tell it because I know modern man would abuse it.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
Rt 16 has always looked like a parking lot in the summer,Probably worse now than what I rememberI always used to like to take the back way home, Rt 153 down through Effingham and Wakefield.
Grew up on Province lake in the summertime.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
Grew up on Province lake in the summertime.
Nice little spot. I like going there on warm evenings for a quick dip.

The xs850 sh yammi bike I got had a head light relay fail over there one night. Big problem no street lights, so I fixed that problem in the dark using my test light as light, and a tool, but it wasn't easy.

Changing into swim wear/ dry clothes is a no brainer before God and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire