U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,730,378 times

Advertisements

It seems so many people are interested in Keene! I just changed my whole trip back east to include a 2 day (all I could sneak in....lol) stay in Keene. I started a post on here and got a lot of nice and helpful responses regarding Keene. I was just concerned about the flooding situation. I got answers of yes it floods and no it doesnt. Could someone please tell me what the correct answer is?

As I sit here writting this post, I was hit with another reason yet to move from So Calif. A little bit ago we had an earthquake. It was only a 4.5, and epi-center was 7 miles away from my home, but it was enough to rattle my daughter and my nerves. My hands are still kinda shaking as I write this post. Earthquakes are awful. No sleeping for me tonight. I realize that you cant escape mother nature, no matter where you go, but there are some places that are "safer" than others. Like you couldnt pay me to live in the mid west, it seems like they flood every year. How awful for them. I am very scared of water as it is, so flooding is a concern of mine. And what do you do when your house floods? How do you get away?

With all that said, I am looking forward to actually seeing Keene in the flesh, so to speak, and not just in pictures. It sounds a lot like the town that I live in now, but on a smaller scale which is wonderful for me. I was so sure I was Vermont bound, but now I dont know. I have also heard good and bad about how the people in New Hampshire are regarding us newbies to the state. Can someone clear that up for me please

Thank you all for your answers and help.

Also can you tell me, if the state gets hit with hurricanes.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 08-09-2007 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: forgot to ask a question.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:44 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,448,156 times
Good morning Suzet - As a "transplant" to the state, I can give you our experience. We had no problem in our move and being accepted by the people in our town. I think it was for two reasons - first, we didn't come with any hidden agenda, we did not want to change this area to the one we came from and also, we usually prefaced our remarks with something like "you have to excuse us, we're transplanted flat landers" .... and then would ask our question or whatever - 99% of the time that remark broke the ice and we got at least a small smile <g>.....I think we probably drove a lot of people crazy with our questions as we learned the area and how things are done not just in our area, but the state - it paid off, though.

In the beginning people were friendly but reserved until they got to know us, now the "reserved" part is lifting. We've been here a little over a year now and have made some friends with whom we socialize. Townspeople are starting to recognize us, some know us by name (the book store and music store in town especiall <g>) and we always smile and wave and it is returned.

I believe you get back what you put out - if you are friendly, not pushy, learn the ways of the area, you will be fine - you will get back "friendly" - if you come in saying, "That's not the way we do things where I'm from....it should be done our way, not your way...." that's where you will have problems.

For the life of my I cannot understand that reasoning - I know we left NY for a reason and I can't imagine wanting to change NH into NY Unfortunately, some people have a hard time adapting to new ways and those are the ones who have problems being "accepted."

I believe it would be very rare for NH to get any kind of a "direct hit" from a hurricane....well, maybe the seacoast area could, I really don't know. I think it would be more of the "remnants" of the hurricane, but I really have no idea, I'm sure someone else will come along with answers to the rest of your questions.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,895,502 times
Hi Suzet! I want to say I think its wonderful that you will be visiting NH soon. I have felt that every person who posts in this very forum of CDF has been extremely helpful, kind, and willing to help. Its refreshing and warms my heart.

I have read about the reserved nature of New Englanders, and I very well remember how hard it was to make friends while I was up there. People keep to themselves. And after what I have experienced out west, or midwest, I'll take reservation.

I'm living in a small town, for the first time right now. People gossip, start trouble, wander over to my apartment drunk and sociable. I have seen the strangest things in this little town. People are too friendly, if that could ever happen. Our family keeps to themselves, minds our own business, and never asks for that kind of attention. It has taken us two years to become established here; because these folk stick together and outsiders are treated different. Especially "city folk" which we have been labeled.

We are disturbed quite a bit, by strangers, neighbors, and even my boss when I worked at the front end came to my house on days off to recruit me into working. Who answers the door in the pj's to their boss standing there? I think being reserved is a polite way of minding ones business. I think its a positive thing if a new town appears to be "ignoring" you, because now you can relax, they aren't going to bother you, or come over drunk-maybe LOL

Also, if you live in a highly tourist place, which NH has its share of tourists, the towns are used to seeing people come and go, they don't stay long enough to share a glass of tea. And after you stay a while, they become used to your smile, and it won't be too hard to make friends eventually. You have to admire NH residents being on the cautious side of new comers-they want to know if you're going to bring laws or problems into their communities that they have fought to keep unchanged for years, maybe?

I don't know what its like to be in an earthquake, I can only imagine how unnerved it can be. I lived in NH for 18 years. I was in a hurricane living in Brentwood, NH-outside of Exeter growing up. We ate spaghettio's on sterno burners, and went outside in the eye of it. We had only wind damage, but that just helped pre-prune our great trees outside, and one day of cleanup we were done. We were fortunate. It was Hurricane Gloria, I remember. Back in the 80's. And I think all of those forests really blocked a lot of the wind that could have done more damage-again we were fortunate. Our home also flooded one year in Nashua, and that meant two days from school to help dad wet vac and scoop 1 foot of water from our basement. So far, Illinois has had a tornado my first week here, but nothing since. Texas was worse for flooding-I guess I'm lucky.

Look at the trees, the forests, and the shape and condition of buildings as you drive through. I can tell you if they are still strong and healthy, that is natures sign of showing the weather. If you drive down our streets here in Pittsfield Illinois, you will see splintered trees, missing trees, cracked sidewalks with tree trunks leaning heavily...on and on. The rooftops look terrible, gutters are hanging off on the very house across the street. Even after the town cleans up, you can still "see" that high winds have come through here over the years and left its mark. Sure enough, I have been in a few high winds here, not necessarily storm, and our gutters are missing. We still haven't found them yet, or the landlord just gave up reattaching them.

Unless a town is willing to uproot each tree after such high winds, you should be able to see for yourself what nature does to a place. There aren't many huge oak trees left here where I live for fall color drive much these days. The ones that are left, look awful.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:16 AM

4,055 posts, read 7,793,814 times
I've heard from my mom about the hurricane of (I believe) 1938 which caused widespread damage and flooding, even areas well inland. The last hurricane we've experienced in New England was Hurricane Bob in 1991 (We had a hurricane party and spend much of it outside with neighbors. We were young and dumb back then!) I wasn't living here when Hurricane Floyd came in 1999, maybe someone else has memory of that?

Re: earthquakes--I can relate! I have what I've always considered an unnatural fear of earthquakes. I think it stems back to a National Geographic magazine that I became obsessed with at my grandparents house when I was a LITTLE kid, probably 6 or 7 years old. Pages and pages of the devastation in Alaska from the earthquake in I believe 1968. I have ZERO interest in visiting California for that reason... silly I know, it's such a beautiful state, and I would love to see the pacific coast highway, the giant redwoods, but the thought of going there scares the **** out of me!

Wish I could answer directly about Keene, but don't live there or even nearby. There wasn't too much in the state that wasn't flooded during 2 100-year storms in the last 2 years. Actually the entire area (Massachusetts, NH and Maine) were terribly hard hit. Some links:

Foster's Online, Dover, New Hampshire

Foster's Online, Dover, New Hampshire

New Hampshire Floods History & Information - NewHampshire.com (http://www.newhampshire.com/about-nh/nh-floods-history.aspx - broken link)

After the flood - The Boston Globe

Flood toll mounting from lost business, damaged property - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2006/05/17/flood_toll_mounting_from_lost_business_damaged_pro perty/ - broken link)

DNN :: New England flooding worst in decades

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 AM

1,461 posts, read 217,187 times
Hey there, I'm a transplanter to Keene a whole 3 months now lol! Another bright side to Keene, in your case would be that we are VERY close to Vermont, so as being you seem to like the state it is very very possible to make day trips to Brattleboro, Bellows Falls and the such and still be home for dinner.
I see you concerned about the Floods, and yes there have been floods here. I know there was one in 05 that I've been told about, but listen anywhere you go there is going to be some kind of natural disaster. Your best bet would be to talk to the city, see where the flood zones are and choose housing from there. I lived in South Florida, EVERY year I was in a boat going down my street. Its swamp down there so it didn't matter where you lived, even if you lived a couple blocks from the beach then that was worse cause you had to contend with the rising surf and letting your car soak in salt water.. uck.. I went through hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Charlie a couple years ago and hurricane Wilma last year which was a direct hit for me category 3 at landfall. I had no power in Aug 105 degrees out with 100% humidty for almost 20 days , no refridgeration, no gas in town for weeks, a cerfew, national guard, "food stamp" like papers to actually eat and get ice, we would have to wait in lines for an hour just to get 1 bag of ice that would melt before you get home I said never again. I dont care what people say there is no amount of planning that prepares you for that, and as far as evacuation by the time you actually have a for sure answer of where the hurricane is going to hit, its too late. Example when Hurricane charlie hit Port Charolette about 45 mins north of me then, It was heading towards tampa that was the path, I fell asleep wathing tv for 2 hours I woke up and the path had changed for Port Charolette. Down there people don't have gas stoves only electric so there was no way to cook food. I ended up on my sidewalk, with two disposable foil turkey pans that you can buy, coal, getting eaten alive by bugs, fending off snakes , trying to desperatly cook what meat I could salvage out of my fridge. When Wilma came through I sat in my house listening to the rafters lifting off, water running down my walls, and pushing through pinholes on my door handles.Definetly not paradise. So you see it all depends on what you can handle. After 23 years of hurricanes, and them getting worse I couldn't handle it anymore. It was expensive and nerve wracking. So a little flood here and there is okay for me. And from the sounds of it it sounds like you might be able to handle them too, esp with you being in earthquakes. At least you can see a flood coming

Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,730,378 times
Thanks windchimes, Katlakat, Valerie, and Tarastomsgirl. I appreciate all your comments. It is fun to chat on these boards and get to know about a place that you want to live, and to get to know the people that are there. Sounds like we have all been at the mercey of mother nature in one way or another. Just like people are scared of earthquakes, I am so scared of floods. I have an image of what it is like in my mind, it is probably worse though.

I understand about coming into a town and trying to change it, or just complain that the town doesnt have this or that. I hear a lot of that from people that keep moving into my town. I just dont get that. I have lived in my home town for 44 years. I have wonderful memories that I can take with me where ever I go. But it just doesnt feel like home to me anymore. I am a people person, I accept people for who and what they are. Some you choose to have in your life, others you do not. Life is too short to be unhappy. So wherever we will end up hanging our hat, I make the most of it.

I dont think I could handle the heat and humidity in the Southern states. I dont care for Heat. That is one of the many reasons for our move to New England. Calif is way too hot, smoggy, over priced, over crowed, etc..As you can tell I am not a big fan of my state any more. Which does sadden me. Yes the Redwoods are beautiful, and driving on PCH is really nice, the views are great. Calif has some gorgeous scenery. But also a lot of problems..for my family it has just gotten time to move from here.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 PM

10,282 posts, read 10,648,221 times
Hi there, Suzet2262, and others...

Earthquakes? We are on a fault and reportedly get around 200 quakes a year. I can only remember two that we personally felt. A third we missed beause we were driving. Others have felt a few more.

Valerie, I remember all the hurricanes. Yes, they do come inland and the winds can do quite a bit of damange. Flooding is common in NH in lower lying flood prone areas. This last spring the nor'easter did an awful lot of damage. It was the worst we'd ever seen in the 30+ years we've been in NH. I'd say it's the nor'easters that I'd be most concerned about, especially those that hit in winter. Some of those blizzards are deadly. Does anyone remember the blizzard of '78? People died in that one.

NH also gets tornadoes from time to time.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM

951 posts, read 494,733 times
Having lived on Cape Cod for the last twenty-five years, I can tell you hurricanes are no fun. Gloria in 1985 was minor, as the eye was to our west. We had lots of wind and rain though. I was in Framingham during the storm and we had some large trees come down on the street.

It wasn't until Hurricane Bob in 1991 that my perception of a hurricane changed. We got hit hard. We were out of power for over a week and almost every street around me was impassable because of downed trees. Thank God I have gas in my house as I was still able to cook. You can still walk in the woods and see the remnants of uprooted trees. Major damage in the tens of millions.

Then we got a second punch on Halloween 1991 with the "No Name" storm, a major nor'easter. The rain was torrential and my wife ended up with a broken leg from falling in the mud chasing our dog that got loose! Rescue squad, hospital and the whole bit!! Right during the height of the storm! She still gets funny feelings in her leg when a Nor'easter is approaching! No lie! And to top it all off, I still had about 40 kids come to the house for Trick or Treat!! We're nuts here!!

Since then, the storms have been relatively minor, with some isolated damage. We all feel like we are due a big one.

New Hampshire is pretty safe with these storms for the most part. The coast will bear the brunt with Cape Cod sort of leading the way. After coming up the coast or from out to sea then passing over us, they usually start to break up. Wind and heavy rains will still be a factor for inland areas, just like recently.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 PM

877 posts, read 1,664,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
A little bit ago we had an earthquake. It was only a 4.5, and epi-center was 7 miles away from my home, but it was enough to rattle my daughter and my nerves.
It woke me and my better half up too. We are about 10 miles away (Encino). Checked the kids (still asleep) and went back to bed. My biggest worry was "Oh, that's all we need. A bunch of new quakes while I'm trying to sell our house!". Seriously tho, the few years after Northridge there were loads of 4+ quakes that were way longer and stronger than last night (the long, 30 second ones are REALLY scary). I am currently touching my desk (wood) to unjinx my last statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Also can you tell me, if the state gets hit with hurricanes.
Flooding and summer thunderstorms are your biggest home risks in NH. I don't know if NH gets hit as hard as other states for ice storms.
On thunderstorms: We were driving New Hampshire's short but pretty seacoast during the incredibly humid/hot spell they had in late August 06. We were around Rye I think, and we saw a thunderstorm forming overland and heading seaward. We parked up on the beach front and watched it roll right over us. Big hail for a few minutes very strong winds. Anyway, we turned around and drove back through Hampton. We'd been through on the way to the coast and we'd remarked how pretty and tree-lined the streets were. Big oaks, etc. Well, when we went back it really looked like a HURRICANE had been through. There were trees down all over, huge boughs lying in the street. Saw at least one crushed car and a tree through a house.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 PM

877 posts, read 1,664,401 times
Good site for a history of all the major US hurricanes over the last 100 years:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/history.shtml (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire