Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

The Union Leader is filled with articles about the ongoing flow of refugees that is constantly being dumped in Manchester, at a rate of over 300 a year. Most NH residents are struggling to pay excessive property taxes, and hardly need the added burden of supporting the poorest and least self-sufficient of the world's population.

Early this month, Manchester' Board of Mayor and Aldermen voted 9-4 for a moratorium on new refugee settlement in the city, as the city is overwhelmed with the cost taking care of thousands who cannot speak English, cannot find jobs in a time of massive unemployment, and require huge amounts of taxpayer funding to support and educate. (Ongoing war between resettlement agency & Manchester, NH elected officials « Friends of Refugees) Unfortunately, Manchester has no power to prevent the continuing resettlement. Manchester is now the second largest refugee-resettlement city in New England, with 271 refugees per 100,000.

The group behind the refugee resettlement campaign is the International Institute of New England, a Massachusetts-based organization. Unfortunately, this group does not support the refugees it dumps in various municipalities across New England. That is left to the taxpayers of those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The Union Leader is filled with articles about the ongoing flow of refugees that is constantly being dumped in Manchester, at a rate of over 300 a year. Most NH residents are struggling to pay excessive property taxes, and hardly need the added burden of supporting the poorest and least self-sufficient of the world's population.

Early this month, Manchester' Board of Mayor and Aldermen voted 9-4 for a moratorium on new refugee settlement in the city, as the city is overwhelmed with the cost taking care of thousands who cannot speak English, cannot find jobs in a time of massive unemployment, and require huge amounts of taxpayer funding to support and educate. (Ongoing war between resettlement agency & Manchester, NH elected officials « Friends of Refugees) Unfortunately, Manchester has no power to prevent the continuing resettlement. Manchester is now the second largest refugee-resettlement city in New England, with 271 refugees per 100,000.

The group behind the refugee resettlement campaign is the International Institute of New England, a Massachusetts-based organization. Unfortunately, this group does not support the refugees it dumps in various municipalities across New England. That is left to the taxpayers of those cities.
Uh actually we do have the power, cops , guns and a notice to leave the city..NOW!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
I hope I'm not repeating what others have said as I only skimmed through the responses:

Certainly I can understand why Manchester would be asking for a reduction in refugees. It's the same case with Lewiston, Maine a few years ago. It wasn't racism, it was simple economics. Refugees generally require more services. A city can accept SOME of burden, but it obviously has its limits.

An earlier poster posted a link that stated that the US takes in more than three times the amount of refuguees than the rest of the industrial world combined. I'm very proud of that, but maybe we need to spread around the pain a bit more. Don't put all the refugees into cities that are already struggling economically.

I also believe that other industrialized nations should play a greater role in accepting refugees.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Narrow minded redneck, hater, racist.. AH I love liberal, namby pamby bleeding hearts!

Ok, Being concerned about my state and the burden being placed on it doesm't make me a hater

Wanting countries to take care of the own people instead of pawing them off on us doesnt make me a racist

And expecting MY government to do the right thing and say NO MORE doesnt make me a narrow minded redneck..all it really does is make me logical.. We have gone to the well waaay too often, we cannot contain or care for the influx of refugees and illegal aliens any longer.. We are ONE nation, with our OWN people to care for..time other countries took care of their own, and if the cannot time for the citizens of those countries to grow a sack and change things in their OWN home land

I do realize that is a strange notion, but damn it has worked for thousands of years, until some idiots decided we needed to be the worlds nanny, we are not.

You may now continue spewing the hate that comes from having nothing to say apart from..oh you meanie.. it's ok I can take it, just give me a sec to send off that check to the food pantry ok?

Man some people really get upset when they read a bit of truth..crazy man..just crazy.

Caring about your country doesn't make you a hater, Dave, but it doesn't mean you are not. Do some volunteer work and really show us you care!!!

Dave, the United States has not been a country for thousands of years so what are you talking about when you imply that the U.S has been taking care of its own for thousands of years????? Another point Dave is that you say Manchester cannot contain the influx of illegal aliens and that point I agree with, but, in your opening point your were talking about legal refugees so that is two very different things. Lets not confuse illegal and legal.

Last edited by Aptor hours; 07-13-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Caring about your country doesn't make you a hater, Dave, but it doesn't mean you are not. Do some volunteer work and really show us you care!!!

Dave, the United States has not been a country for thousands of years so what are you talking about when you imply that the U.S has been taking care of its own for thousands of years????? Another point Dave is that you say Manchester cannot contain the influx of illegal aliens and that point I agree with, but, in your opening point your were talking about legal refugees so that is two very different things. Lets not confuse illegal and legal.
Truth be told at least many of the illegals bring with them a desire and work ethic to be more then just victims. True the language barrier often remains but they will get out and hustle. Manchester, and NH cannot contain nor care for illegals, refugees, or domestic bums. Nor should we.

The nations sending these refugees don't care what happens to them, the placement services doesnt care, the welfare case worker doesn't care, so what do we end up with, lost and dying people on NH's streets instead of their homeland, being further victimized by both the system and the slime of society.. so what is the difference? None.

I hear time and time again by liberals how we are not the saviors of the world, know what, you are right we aren't, and neither should we be. Helping others should NEVER be put into the governments hands, yet we have turned ours into a social exercise that has miserably failed. Our own economy is on the verge of collapse.

We can't keep our own employed, we can't take care of our truly needy, yet we can give prisoners government bail outs, and fraudulently processed income tax refunds. We are not even in the top ten in education despite the massive amount of money we throw at impotent teachers and uninterested students.

Since you don't personally know me you have no idea what I do for others, both domestic and foreign. You need not know what, I'll save that for the braggarts

Misreading on your part friend, it was a general statement regard all the nations that have come and gone for thousands of years. Something else is shown in history, nations that have gone this route have fallen, time and time again. Think locally, say no to globalism, but never be afraid to lend a hand, even to your enemy, take care of your own first.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:49 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Truth be told at least many of the illegals bring with them a desire and work ethic to be more then just victims. True the language barrier often remains but they will get out and hustle. Manchester, and NH cannot contain nor care for illegals, refugees, or domestic bums. Nor should we.

The nations sending these refugees don't care what happens to them, the placement services doesnt care, the welfare case worker doesn't care, so what do we end up with, lost and dying people on NH's streets instead of their homeland, being further victimized by both the system and the slime of society.. so what is the difference? None.

I hear time and time again by liberals how we are not the saviors of the world, know what, you are right we aren't, and neither should we be. Helping others should NEVER be put into the governments hands, yet we have turned ours into a social exercise that has miserably failed. Our own economy is on the verge of collapse.

We can't keep our own employed, we can't take care of our truly needy, yet we can give prisoners government bail outs, and fraudulently processed income tax refunds. We are not even in the top ten in education despite the massive amount of money we throw at impotent teachers and uninterested students.

Since you don't personally know me you have no idea what I do for others, both domestic and foreign. You need not know what, I'll save that for the braggarts

Misreading on your part friend, it was a general statement regard all the nations that have come and gone for thousands of years. Something else is shown in history, nations that have gone this route have fallen, time and time again. Think locally, say no to globalism, but never be afraid to lend a hand, even to your enemy, take care of your own first.
Sorry Dave to misread your carefully written thesis, I just wasn't expecting you to jump from Manchester to globalism so quickly. Since I don't personally know you in person or your chosen career path I can't keep up with well sharpened political mind.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Wow..nah not wow, predictable.. when faced with truth try to belittle..right out of the play book.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook1244 View Post
You have no clue. The U.S. State Department just this year dumped 6,000 Iraqis refugees into Dearborn, Michigan with no skills. Reason - they had a relative living in Dearborn. Go to Dearborn - home of Henry Ford. It now has the largest Iraqi population in the United States. I'm sure Henry Ford would not recognize his home town with all the Iraqi flags waving from buildings. As far as your background checks go - Mohammed Atta and his buddies passed
extensive background checks, and was fluent in English and had some college education. Those people help the U.S. because they want to get to the U.S.A. not to benefit their own country which should be their primary objective.
Really? I have no clue? Guess the last 6 months of my life in a foreign country getting blown up, mortared, and rocketed trying to help the Iraqis help themselves put back together a country we helped tear apart have been a figment of my imagination?

I worked with these people who are in this special visa program. I know how it works. I never said that's how all Iraqis came to the US. Mostly, I was making the point that these people in this program were not being herded into one city, but were spread all throughout the country (which I think is a good idea). Maybe that's why it's a special visa program. I have no experience with how those 6000 got to Dearborn, hence I won't spout off about something I don't know about. These interpreters aren't going to Dearborn. They're going all over the country, and the US Govt is not paying their way. These people are in 5X as much danger as US soldiers are every day (which is still a lot of danger) - they've earned their visas.

And yes, you're exactly right. They're helping the US because they want to get to the US. After working for the Americans in Iraq, would you want to return to your countrymen and get assassinated? That's the real threat they face for working with us "infidels" and "occupiers". By working for the US, they've pretty much thrown their future in Iraq away, unless they want to live with the constant fear of their assassination (and family too) every day for the rest of their lives. Many have given up on their country of origin, and I can't say I blame them.

Whether you agree or not with the war in Iraq is inconsequential and a totally different discussion. That is the program and we are holding up our end of the bargain.

Do you have experience (boots on ground) working with refugees in the legal immigration process? Please tell...

Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Really? I have no clue? Guess the last 6 months of my life in a foreign country getting blown up, mortared, and rocketed trying to help the Iraqis help themselves put back together a country we helped tear apart have been a figment of my imagination?

I worked with these people who are in this special visa program. I know how it works. I never said that's how all Iraqis came to the US. Mostly, I was making the point that these people in this program were not being herded into one city, but were spread all throughout the country (which I think is a good idea). Maybe that's why it's a special visa program. I have no experience with how those 6000 got to Dearborn, hence I won't spout off about something I don't know about. These interpreters aren't going to Dearborn. They're going all over the country, and the US Govt is not paying their way. These people are in 5X as much danger as US soldiers are every day (which is still a lot of danger) - they've earned their visas.

And yes, you're exactly right. They're helping the US because they want to get to the US. After working for the Americans in Iraq, would you want to return to your countrymen and get assassinated? That's the real threat they face for working with us "infidels" and "occupiers". By working for the US, they've pretty much thrown their future in Iraq away, unless they want to live with the constant fear of their assassination (and family too) every day for the rest of their lives. Many have given up on their country of origin, and I can't say I blame them.

Whether you agree or not with the war in Iraq is inconsequential and a totally different discussion. That is the program and we are holding up our end of the bargain.

Do you have experience (boots on ground) working with refugees in the legal immigration process? Please tell...
Actually you are incorrect the war is consequential and this is part of the consequences of war, the very same consequences our founders faced. In war you choose sides, make allies and enemies and suffer loss for your beliefs. matters not what war it is. However, if we made an agreement, we should keep it.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 5,191 times
I came from Afghanistan, Currently i am living in Louisville Kentucky, The summers here are very hot, i was looking to move somewhere really cold area i love cold and snow. Like NH,SD.ND,MN..
Just was reading about people cant even imagine people would say this kind of stuff, Come on people life is short.
I worked as a Sales Associate for one of the company in Louisville KY.Sice i am moving i choose really fun job, Sprinter Driver. I drive thought out the USA 48 states.So far i happen to see only 27 states. More to come before i make my plan to settle in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgermeister View Post
Their wars or political unrest isn't my problem. Refugees who come here and take my fellow American's jobs, school slots and financial resources are my problem.

My roots go back to before America was a country. My ancestors helped make it one. What did your ancestors do?

Refugees in particular and immigrants in general are no longer needed in America. Not as long as there are Americans out of work or trying to get into College.

The Sahara desert is empty too...and I don't mind if you live there. NH is too broke to afford you.

You can help them somewhere else and with your own money. The Government's money is our money and should be spent on Americans who were born here.

I have an idea...maybe, the government should educate, train and put US to work. What a novel thought...a government by the people and for the people.
Most of the Refuges take jobs in this country which no American want to take. My employee was every week call Refugee office if there is any new refugees we want to Employee them.
They are not Lazy. they work hard and honestly. They work on Minimum wages. Get the ratio of US unemployment? How many Refugees are in there???
Refugees dont take our jobs, They are helping our employees who are sick and tired of lazy asses.
And for your Information, Those Refugees come to this country they are only Eligible for benefits for 3 to 6 months. If they start working on the 2 month of Arri cal in US. they dont get nothing and they pay equal taxes as we pay.
Think you earn minimum wages which most of this Refugees make. They pay house rent, REVENUE. They taxes, REVENUE, Insurance, Car medical how much they can save???

I would like to tell you, How this system works for Refugee.When Refugee comes to this country REFUGEE SPONSOR AGENCY get him a air ticket, Which is not free, he.she needs to pay back.....So no free.
Food Stamps for Refugee which only work until Refugees doesn't have job. Lets say Refugee Found a Job the 2nd month of Arrival the food stamp cancelled.
Each Refugee get 150$-200$ Per month.is that Enough?????? its stops when you start and connect your 2nd pay check.
About housing they also pay rent. like anyone else...Most of Refugees start work pretty fast and be there own. And pay taxes like anyone else......
USA wouldn't bring in any Refugee who is un healthy.They pick the healthy one only..The medical screening happen in the country where they were host.no most of them dont even need any medical needs.
The burden is people who are sucking unemployment and they are lazy to work. they refugees how can be burden??

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire