Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM

193 posts, read 534,156 times

Advertisements

The parking lot for Bratskellars is behind the DinnerHorn building; I like the atmosphere there, and I look forward to hearing how you liked the pizza. Now I'm going to have to make a trip to Portsmouth for some ... it's been too long ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM

479 posts, read 1,015,398 times
Thanks for the info! HA! Glad I got you motivated to get to Portsmouth! How far are you?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 AM

193 posts, read 534,156 times
Amherst is an hour, just a skip away.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 PM

I have to say after reading many of the other blogs regarding NH it looks like it will be a fit for us! So much more positive feedback than negative. I am really looking forward to checking it out next week!! I am currently in the south after relocating from Boulder and I absolutely hate the summer here. YUCK!! The bugs are something out of Jules Verne book!!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
NH is a great place to raise a family. We moved from MA 15 years ago and it was a great decision. Check out Rye Beach near Portsmouth. NH only has about 20 miles of shoreline. Skiing is great for the kids in the winter.
Another great thing is that it is just an hour to Boston from so NH: red Sox games, museums, North end for dinner....
We are over near Nashua, but if you have any questions, fire away....

Old 07-23-2011, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the input seamusnh!! I am very interested in the Rye area and have been looking at the housing online. There is a private school there that I am interested in for my son. My dad is from Boston so I know he will love that it's only an hour away from where I am when he visits. I have not been to the Northeast since I was a kid!! Still have family in Boston and family in Nova Scotia. Looks like it is a easy drive to almost anywhere....weather permitting.

What is the humidity like in the summer?? This humidity here is a killer! 100 degree weather with 70- 80% humidity!!

I can't wait to have lobster!!!!! Yahoo!!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:04 PM

I do have a couple of questions. I am used to central heat and air. So with oil heat it sounds like you have a tank that gets filled up??? I know silly question but........ How does it work? Are the coldest months Dec-March??

Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM

5,200 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Not so much how it works, it's how much does it cost fill up? Oil heat is one of the little negatives to New England winter budgeting. After years away we spent all of December, including the blizzard at the inlaws house for the holidays. They kept the temp at 65 during the day and bumped it up a little at night. They did not have a wood stove but we felt great and comfortable. The flannel sheets and down comforters kept us warm at night. Oil fuel prices are high and that is a good hit to their budget each winter. You should be able to get some input on heating from everyone here. Good luck

Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
and oil is not necessarily just for heat: oil also heats our water. It may have an electric pump, but when there was no (or too little) oil in the tank, we had no hot water either!

movingonagain777, the way it works is that you choose an oil company that delivers to your area (ask your neighbors, check on line - google heating oil + your town and see who comes up) and find out what they charge per gallon. Usually in the summer is when everyone pre-buys for the winter/year. Many oil companies have a 500gal minimum pre-buy (the pre-buy price is locked in and usually cheaper than the as needed price). They then have your money on account, and they come out and fill your tank on a regular basis. How they know when varies with the companies: some have arcane math system based on average usage and temperature, others just come out at regular times. They fill up as much as you need at the time and deduct it from your account. When you run out, then you usually buy 'as needed'.

You also want to have your furnace serviced/ cleaned yearly. We skipped a year because we so seldom used it much and the result was it got its filter clogged and we had no hot water until someone cleaned it. <sigh>

That's pretty much how it works.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
and otherwise you turn on the thermostat like normal. AC on the other hand is a window unit that you put in in the summer and take out close to fall. Coldest months can be Oct - April with the months of Dec-Mar being the ones with all day/night heating, and the other months just a nighttime heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire