U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM

29 posts, read 48,491 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've just been offered a job in upper N.H. working as a newspaper reporter covering Berlin and Lancaster (mostly Berlin).

The job is exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm a bit nervous about the area. I've spent the last year in Lewiston/Auburn, Maine, and the three years before that in Boston.

What is apartment availability like? (I'm not seeing much on craigslist) Bars? Restaurants? Is there a Gym in any of these towns (can't seem to really find one on google).

I love to fish, so the area has that covered. I also play hockey and see that there is a rink in Berlin. But I'm worried that the towns are just too tiny ... no good places to eat or workout, and in general, not much else to do.

Can anyone give me any insight into these towns? I've heard lots of bad things about Berlin, but I've also read that it's starting to clean up its act.

Thanks,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM

15,320 posts, read 21,167,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_k View Post
Hi all,

I've just been offered a job in upper N.H. working as a newspaper reporter covering Berlin and Lancaster (mostly Berlin).

The job is exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm a bit nervous about the area. I've spent the last year in Lewiston/Auburn, Maine, and the three years before that in Boston.

What is apartment availability like? (I'm not seeing much on craigslist) Bars? Restaurants? Is there a Gym in any of these towns (can't seem to really find one on google).

I love to fish, so the area has that covered. I also play hockey and see that there is a rink in Berlin. But I'm worried that the towns are just too tiny ... no good places to eat or workout, and in general, not much else to do.

Can anyone give me any insight into these towns? I've heard lots of bad things about Berlin, but I've also read that it's starting to clean up its act.

Thanks,
Brian
Well if the scale of Berlin and Coos County in general is substantially smaller than Lewiston/Auburn in Maine. The population of Coos County in its entirety is around 30,000. Berlin is making a few strides but has a long way to go. A gym is kind of an odd question because the whole area is surrounded by mountains and outdoor recreation. If you like being out on the slopes, on a lake, or on the trails you have found your place. I do like Lancaster, Jefferson, and Randolph on route 2, but that can be a bad commute to Berlin in winter and I would not recommend doing it. Gorham is in somewhat better shape, but isn't doing too well either. The area was pretty dependent on the mills and tourism so they are still working on diversifying.
The cost of living is low(er) compared to that part of Maine due to housing, but proeprty taxes are high. Also, that area gets VERY cold in the winter as most towns sit in a valley. Be prepared for subzero lows all the time in that area. It's a great area if you have a good paying job- like going back in time, but w/ modern conveniences.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 AM

29 posts, read 48,491 times
Thanks for the information, GraniteStater.

I was asking about the gym more for weight-lifting purposes rather than cardiovascular stuff which I'll get plenty of out on the trails or in the rink in Berlin.

I've spent the last few hours pouring over the archives of this forum and it seems that Lancaster is the place to be over Berlin or Gorham. The newspaper's office is actually in Lancaster, so I would only have to commute to Berlin if I was covering something in town that I couldn't get over the phone. The commute might be rough in the winter, but it is definitely won't be close to an every-day thing. The quality of life I'll have in Lancaster seems worth it.

My only worry right now is that I'm having great difficulty locating rentals. I'm young (relatively, 27) and single, so I'm searching for places with one bedroom, or even studios. I'd rather be further in town than out in the boonies. If anyone can point me to a good real-estate resource in the area, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-11-2011, 06:09 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,740,923 times
I suggest buying a used weight machine. There is a used gym equipment business in New Hampshire but I do not remember where. BTW - shoveling, not snow blowing a long driveway is great aerobics.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM

17 posts, read 30,654 times
There is a gym in the Cabot Lodge just up the road from the newspaper office, there is also a restaurant/bar there. There are a couple of other restaurant/bar options in Lancaster - Puleo's Steak House, Scorpio's and just up the road in Whitefield is the Whitefield Inn which has a lounge and entertainment during the Summer and the Mountain View Grand Hotel has a lounge with a nice bar that you can eat at and just past that is Spaulding Inn where I hear is the hotspot for the young crowd at night. Bethlehem is about 20 minutes away and has a few nice places to dine and have a drink and then there's Littleton which is about 30 minutes from here. There are a lot of local realtors in the area who might be able to help you find a rental and the newspaper you are going to be working for has weekly listings and there are always a few rentals especially 1 bedroom. Good luck, our business is just outside the door in back of the newspaper office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire