Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM

117 posts, read 256,572 times

Advertisements

Well, I am from New Hampshire and attended school there, VT, and Florida.

In my honest opinion, schools in New England are a lot better then schools in FL. The high school I went to in VT was one of the highest rated, and the one in FL was highly rated as well...but in VT we always got new books, teachers were more attentive, it was cleaner, better education overall. I know you are asking about NH, but I only went from K-8 in NH. The elementary schools are fantastic. Clean, supportive, safe, and NH is a great place to get an education.

As for the weather...I know a lot of people are like "Ohhhh...I hate the snow, the cold...the wet springs...everything!" but the second they move away they regret it. I still miss NH weather...Nothing is better then waking up at 6am, seeing everything covered is 2-4 feet of snow, shoveling, and then coming inside and sitting by the fireplace with a cup of coffee. People in Nh are very friendly, although you are bound to meet some with the snarky new england sarcasm :P

NH is a great place to live and I liked it a lot more then in FL...you will still get your good ol' country boys...but I have never seen a ballsack on a car like I did down south. :P

Also, hope you like people from Mass...heres a joke we often here in NH

"There are these 4 guys driving in a car together, 1 from Maine, 1 from Vermont, 1 from Massachusetts, and 1 from New Hampshire.

Down the road a bit, the man from Maine starts throwing bags of potatoes out of the car window, the man from NH asks what are you doing that for? The man from Maine says, we have so many potatoes just lying around our state and I'm just sick and tired of seeing these things.

Down the road a bit more, the man from Vermont starts throwing jugs out maple syrup out of the car window, the man from NH asks what are you doing that for? The man from Vermont says, we have so many of these jugs just lying around our state and I'm just sick and tired of seeing these things.

And moments later....

You guessed it...

The man from New Hampshire throws the man from Massachusetts out of the window..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:14 PM

65 posts, read 121,272 times
Default Winter in New Hampshire

I posted last night to this thread, but I am brand new here so I know I did something wrong, so the post is not here, in lieu of that I want to share my personal experience with NH as a born and raised cold-weather Yankee.

Until you've lived through a winter of shovelling and the snowplows coming along and plowing you back in, there is no better way of toughening you up!

Winter clothes, yes, must have, layers yes, and have on hand for any kind of weather as many layers as possible, and of very good quality, preferably LLBean, Northface, or REC.

I used to ski, hike, snowshoe, and go ice fishing. But I also spent countless hours shoveling chipping thick ice off my car. I also spent plenty of time splitting wood, stacking wood, and carrying wood inside to keep the woodstove going during power outages.

Keep your car in a heated garage, if at all possible.

Also keep a blanket or two in your car because you never know when you might get stuck if conditions go from miserable to unbearable.

If you can't do that, know that your breath, especially in January and February, will fall down onto your dashboard in the form of snow which when you turn on the heat and the snow melts, can make the inside of your car very wet.

Here is how I had to dress for outdoor chores when the weather was at its worst and coldest (blizzard conditions).

First I put on my regular underwear. Then I put on a long-tailed undershirt that consisted of a thin layer of wool sandwiched between two jersey layers. Next I put on a pair of socks, the special kind that wick away moisture. After that I pulled on a pair of long johns made of the same material right over the socks, then a pair of heavy socks over the long johns. Next a turtleneck, winter-weight, long-sleeved....following that a pair of ski pants (the kind with over-the-shoulder straps). The turtleck must be inside the ski pants. Over these, I would put an icelandic type sweater. On days when the weather was windy and sub-zero, I would add over the ski pants nylon windbreaker pants -- the kind with zippers on the outer sides and a storm flap for changing weather conditions.

But that's not all of course. I had a polar fleece hat that was cozy warm but not too hot. Next the parka, a real good storm parka, with a high collar that can be cinched tight, and a lined hood which also could be cinched--necessary for those times when one gets stuck on the skilift, or has to walk because of unexpected conditions -- like the plows so busy on the highway they cannot get to the secondary roads.

Speaking of plows, New England, as a whole, has the best equipment anywhere -- and those plows are gigantic. If you're caught out on the road in a bad storm try to follow a plow. The only problem with plows is they cannot stop and lift that plow everytime they come to someone's driveway, that includes your driveway!

Well, after all those clothes, which you can see are adjustable depending on the weather, you will also need a good pair of down gloves or mittens.
Mittens are really better, because one's fingers help keep each other warmer than when in gloves.

One trick to use if your fingers start to get stingingly cold is to blow into them with your warm breath.

Although this clothing list is formidable, it is worth having because frostbite is quick and it is very painful, and it is far better to be prepared with enough layers than to find yourself in trouble with the kind of cold that can so quickly burrow through insufficient layers.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,218,845 times
Your first post is here. Very good information.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM

24 posts, read 40,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post
Also, hope you like people from Mass...heres a joke we often here in NH

"There are these 4 guys driving in a car together, 1 from Maine, 1 from Vermont, 1 from Massachusetts, and 1 from New Hampshire.

Down the road a bit, the man from Maine starts throwing bags of potatoes out of the car window, the man from NH asks what are you doing that for? The man from Maine says, we have so many potatoes just lying around our state and I'm just sick and tired of seeing these things.

Down the road a bit more, the man from Vermont starts throwing jugs out maple syrup out of the car window, the man from NH asks what are you doing that for? The man from Vermont says, we have so many of these jugs just lying around our state and I'm just sick and tired of seeing these things.

And moments later....

You guessed it...

The man from New Hampshire throws the man from Massachusetts out of the window..."
Pretty funny stuff !!! keep up that Great sense of humor !!!! Thanks for the laugh! Actually I was raised and educated in MA all my life, but when I got older I was smart enough to move to NH. when I got ever older I was stupid enough to leave and move down south. When I got even older and wiser I know NH is home !!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 AM

89 posts, read 125,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewardboundnh View Post
I was stupid enough to leave and move down south. When I got even older and wiser I know NH is home !!!!
Funny how our lives are totally different and the things we miss as we get older. You miss the North and I miss the South. Good luck to you and I hope you are able to get home some day.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,892,166 times
In winter months, having a programmable thermostat is invaluable. A few years ago, we started lowering the temperature to 55 overnight in our room, and 30 minutes before our alarm clocks sound, the thermostat kicks up to 60 degrees (takes about 20 minutes to warm). Amazing that almost without fail, we wake up before the alarm sounds, feeling too warm and needing to kick off the blankets. If you have a good quality down quilt on everyone's bed, those overnight temps can be much lower than you would normally consider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokie View Post
Indoor temperatures are generally kept between 65 and 68. Though some folks keep theirs as low as 62. So you must also get used to lower indoor temperatures and dress accordingly whether you are going visiting or to church.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 AM

623 posts, read 957,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
From my personal experience (moved from VA to NH over three years ago) it has its positives and negatives.
Pros: Slow pace of life (sometimes too slow)
People are nice
Crime is low
Schools are nice (I won't say the best, but they are nice)
No traffic
No hot summers (but we did have central air installed in our house when we built it in 2008 and we are GLAD we did and don't let anyone talk you out of it)

Cons: No good restaurants (mom and pop restaurants seem to survive but no chain ones)
The winters are waaaay to long.
You can only see the lakes (big local attraction) so many times before they all start to look the same.
If you don't like skiing or outdoor winter sports, you will be depressed come March.
No sweet tea :-) or Chick-fil-A
You have to drive to get to anything (entertainment)
The 8 inches of snow we got on April 1 of this year really sucked.......also the constant $400 per month heating bill we get from Nov thru March sucks too. (note I said heating bill, that does not include the normal $170 electric bill per month we get also).
Miss the city a lot.....we go to Boston about once a month to get our "city fix".

Send me a message is you want any clarification on any of this. Good luck to you and the family.
Having lived in NH for 8 years I agree with this

Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,912,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post

As for the weather...I know a lot of people are like "Ohhhh...I hate the snow, the cold...the wet springs...everything!" but the second they move away they regret it. "

Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,439 times
I lived in Florida and moved to NH about 12 years ago. The schools are better here and the cost of living is less than living in Boston. In fact the further north you go the more bang you get for your buck when it comes to real estate. There are no sales tax in NH but the property taxes are high. The pay rate is higher in most working positions. the winters are not too bad. It just depends on the person. I am always cold but my daughter is always warm. I love the Summer, spring and Fall it is just the winter I don't care for but the ski season makes it go by quicker for me. Over all the quaility of life has been better here for us. Any questions?

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-13-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM

124 posts, read 311,196 times
Regarding Schools

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

NH ranked 4

Beyond that Google is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire