Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times

Advertisements

Prior to arrival, you must shed all Yankee's gear and repent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM

348 posts, read 850,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Prior to arrival, you must shed all Yankee's gear and repent!

Wise words, indeed.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM

17 posts, read 56,519 times
I grew up in MA and lived in Haverhill for 12 years prior to moving to Northern New Hampshire a year and half ago. I absolutely loved it there and miss it every day especially in the Summer. I really don't know why there is so much MA bashing here other than the politics which is the only thing about MA that I don't like, my husband and I are conservative independents. Our house bordered a 400 acre farm in a very rural area of Haverhill and our real estate taxes were less than $3,000.00 per year. MA is a beautiful state that has it all, first and foremost the ocean, small towns that actually have quaint town centers, small mountains, lakes and rivers. In addition to the nice downtown area of Haverhill it is surrounded by beautiful small towns that also have nice downtown areas to stroll, shop, and dine, my favorite being Newburyport. Beautiful ocean beaches are just a short drive away. so close that my husband and I would go after work on hot Summer evenings and still have a few hours to sit in the sand and swim. Boston is one of the most beautiful cities in the country and the saving grace for me is that the industry my husband and I are in requires us to be in Boston regularly and my whole family is on the North Shore of MA so I get to the ocean as much as possible but it's never enough. I'm sorry but Lakes and Rivers just do not compare to the ocean. I also love New Hampshire but if I could I would move back to the North Shore of MA in a minute and visit NH regularly instead of the other way around. Our real estate taxes here are almost equal to what we paid in Income tax in MA. Sales tax isn't an issue for anyone living in northern MA since most people in that area, including us when we lived there, just drive over the border to do their shopping.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
You answered your own question jaynek. Mass politics are toxic, and if Mass is bashed here it's because of their political corruption. I don't see personal attacks in this forum on Mass residents, or the state in general, which is indeed a beautiful place ? I suspect you are just homesick. Hope you find your way home someday

Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You answered your own question jaynek. Mass politics are toxic, and if Mass is bashed here it's because of their political corruption. I don't see personal attacks in this forum on Mass residents, or the state in general, which is indeed a beautiful place ? I suspect you are just homesick. Hope you find your way home someday
aw, c'mon, BraveStranger: sure there is! now it may be said sometimes tongue in cheek, but plenty of times not that people from Mass are referred to here as Massh@les. All the bad driving in the south is attributed to them (ok, largely justified not not always), the drug problem down south tends to come up from Mass, the over priced housing esp in the south central/east because of it's proximity to Mass and how 'hoardes' of people from Mass move up are blamed on Mass, and the more liberal view of politics that the south central/east has (and the change in legislature) is blamed on the Democrats from Mass moving in and changing things. Mass is bashed all the time!

Why? some of it is true to some extent, I guess. largely I think it's 'statism' (you know, nationalism but on a smaller scale) - people like old NH in the good old days and lament the way it's going. And there's no denying that many people from away, and often from Mass, have moved north. Whether they are truly responsible for the bad driving, taxes hikes, dumb laws I couldn't say.

Yes, there are lots of places, even around the Boston beltway, that are lovely towns. and out west you'd never know you were in Mass! But we are proud of of state.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM

Mass is bashed all the time out here for its politics, and the chaos that comes from those politics: traffic, people moving here & rising house prices. I don't get the sense that Mass residents are treated with disrespect on the NH forum. I own property in Mass & have friends & family there.....so I don't dislike the state. As for the word "Massho%e" lol, I've never seen it used in this forum. I just found jaynek's post to be more about venting about her personal situation (which is cool) than having anything to do with any Mass-bashing. Have there been any posts out here in the last several months that even mention Massachusetts ? I'm not shocked that someone who lived on the North Shore of Mass is experiencing culture shock by moving to northern NH. I would too....and I'm in central NH

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 08-29-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
definitely for the politics! I guess since I've been on since '07, I've seen a lot in all areas. Individually, people don't mind Mass folk and you're right: I haven't seen too much lately bashing anything other than the politics - unless it's the density of people moving up and the politics they bring. I have cousins in Mass and friends in Mass. I don't like the politics, but then I hate the politics where I am! 16 months and I won't be stuck down here in MD any more

Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Where exactly is the place where everyone.... loves Politics? I lived in Mass, VA, Texas, Idaho, and Illinios. Everywhere I go...everyone loathes politics...local and national.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
definitely for the politics! I guess since I've been on since '07, I've seen a lot in all areas. Individually, people don't mind Mass folk and you're right: I haven't seen too much lately bashing anything other than the politics - unless it's the density of people moving up and the politics they bring. I have cousins in Mass and friends in Mass. I don't like the politics, but then I hate the politics where I am! 16 months and I won't be stuck down here in MD any more
Yup....it's complex in some respects. I have mixed feelings about Mass, but lol, I must be getting mellow in my "older age" cause in the end Mass folks will do what they do & I have no control over that. Welcome back.....(soon) i'm sure it must feel like you have been gone forever.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Where exactly is the place where everyone.... loves Politics? I lived in Mass, VA, Texas, Idaho, and Illinios. Everywhere I go...everyone loathes politics...local and national.
NH has a better political climate than most any other state. No sales & income taxes. No capital gains or death taxes. State reps that are part-time & make $100 bucks a year. One of my state reps is a plumber that works for me on occassion....not some big city fat-cat. I'll take NH any day over any place else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire