Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 PM

831 posts, read 1,964,905 times

Advertisements

And if she hopped around from job to job, you'd have a problem with that too. Moderator cut: please calm down

She's loyal and obviously an excellent employee, and they are willing to pay for it. End of story.

Last edited by Yac; 08-26-2011 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:49 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
If I owned a store and could pay a 18 year old $10 an hour to run a register or a 45 year old $20 an hour what do you suppose I'm going to do? Most unskilled positions have salary caps. The ones that typically don't are government jobs and union jobs. Which is why historically they both run out of control with overhead.

let me guess what you would do - both workers would be laid off and replaced with someone at minimum wage.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
let me guess what you would do - both workers would be laid off and replaced with someone at minimum wage.
Is a unskilled job like a cashier worth more than min wage to start?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Considering I've met so many HS grads that can't count money, then yes...$10 to start for someone that CAN count money is fair.

Smartass????? ;^>

Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM

477 posts, read 899,910 times
Quote:
Of course, the truth is somewhere in between. I did that job, briefly, as a teenager. I was getting more than minimum because there was some training involved and because market wages (no pun intended) were higher.

However, to the good Sergeant's point, yes, I would be looking to hire and keep my cashier workforce at the lowest rate the market would dictate. Maybe just a bit higher so the turnover would not be so great. After, 20 something years, I would hope that cashier was making significantly more then where they started. However, after 20 something years, I would also hope that cashier had moved up the food chain.

That last pun was intended.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Quote:
Considering I've met so many HS grads that can't count money, then yes...$10 to start for someone that CAN count money is fair.

Smartass????? ;^>
Then $19 for a cashier is acceptable? Who's actually footing the cost for the bloated wage?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Then $19 for a cashier is acceptable? Who's actually footing the cost for the bloated wage?
I'm wonddering why this is annoying you so much

Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm wonddering why this is annoying you so much
I can answer that - because it's $19 per hour for a cashiers job. I think this type of job is meant to be a stepping stone to other positions, not a lifelong career of inflated wages that the customer is paying for through higher food costs. If the cashier wants that type of pay, then he/she should look at other jobs in the store, like management, and work his/her way up.

$19/hr for a cashier is ridiculous, and part of the reason why unions can have a bad rap...

Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I have worked mostly in the private sector and $19 for a cashier position is pretty darn crazy. I know all about unions and the systemic problems many of them face because I worked at an operation that was union for awhile (didn't like it very much at all). The position required a decent amount of training and the highest amount I earned per hour was $15.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I can answer that - because it's $19 per hour for a cashiers job. I think this type of job is meant to be a stepping stone to other positions, not a lifelong career of inflated wages that the customer is paying for through higher food costs. If the cashier wants that type of pay, then he/she should look at other jobs in the store, like management, and work his/her way up.

$19/hr for a cashier is ridiculous, and part of the reason why unions can have a bad rap...
I agree. If someone wants to work as a cashier or some other low skill job their entire life than that's their preference, more power to them. But society should not be compelled to subsidize above market wages to suit the preference of these individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire