Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 5,774 times

Advertisements

Have lived in Northwest Ohio all my life. My wife and I are both 50 yrs. Old with no kids. Everyone we know is here in the Midwest, but I've been itching for some time to see what life is like in an area with more and different kinds of things to offer. My wife is also interested in the possibility of relocating. I work in higher education and my wife is a graphic designer. We have Two large dogs and like to spend time outdoors. Having proximity to mountains and the ocean has a lot of appeal. I also need a local music scene, bookstore and restaurants. My wife is an avid tennis player. I've been monitoring the jobs in NH and have seen positions in Manchester, Nashua, and Portsmouth and have seen opportunities there. Also have watched positions in VT and Maine.

Any midwesterners out there who have relocated to any of these areas? Wondering how your experience has been and if this might be a good place for us? I know the cost of living is probably higher. Im also guessing the people and lifestyle are a bit different than in the midwest. Would appreciate any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Check out the Bangor Maine area - we are about an hour from the coast, have the University of Maine major campus just 8 miles away. Mt. Katahdin is only about 60 miles from here with along with Maine's largest lake - Moosehead Lake. If you drive west about 3 hours you are right in the middle of the state's western mountains in the Rangeley area. You might find this area worth consideration.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark View Post
Have lived in Northwest Ohio all my life. My wife and I are both 50 yrs. Old with no kids. Everyone we know is here in the Midwest, but I've been itching for some time to see what life is like in an area with more and different kinds of things to offer. My wife is also interested in the possibility of relocating. I work in higher education and my wife is a graphic designer. We have Two large dogs and like to spend time outdoors. Having proximity to mountains and the ocean has a lot of appeal. I also need a local music scene, bookstore and restaurants. My wife is an avid tennis player. I've been monitoring the jobs in NH and have seen positions in Manchester, Nashua, and Portsmouth and have seen opportunities there. Also have watched positions in VT and Maine.

Any midwesterners out there who have relocated to any of these areas? Wondering how your experience has been and if this might be a good place for us? I know the cost of living is probably higher. Im also guessing the people and lifestyle are a bit different than in the midwest. Would appreciate any comments.
You have many different options in NH. Do you prefer to be closer to the coast, nearer a city, the mountains, or the lakes? What are you looking for in terms of housing costs? etc.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:03 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
You are not going to find all of this in New Hampshire. And at age 50, finish your careers and then think about moving.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:03 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
You are not going to find all of this in New Hampshire. And at age 50, finish your careers and then think about moving.
Can't find it all? Mountains, Ocean, local music scene, bookstores, restaurants, tennis? I'd think it would all be in NH. However, not sure about the jobs, as I'm not looking for one right now. Can't be any worse than Ohio.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
I'm not going to debate geography.

But what they are seeking is just not in New Hampshire.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
With no children to worry about what have you got to lose. That would make a move like this a little more difficult. Portsmouth is a nice area. It's on the water and only a couple hours up to the mountains. If you can line up some work and can live within your means,go for it. You only live once and if you dont like it here you can always go back. We did the same thing with Florida. Were back in N.H. now. You'll never know until you try. You look hard enough. Everything you need is right here. Good Luck

Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Thank you all for the input already! I will also add Bangor, Maine to my watch list. Sounds like a wonderful place. As far as a preference to be close to mountains, coast, city or lakes ... well, I've never been near mountains or the coast. If I'm within an hour of mountains or the coast, I think that would be pretty cool! I'd prefer to live in a quieter setting, but hopefully not too far from a town or city with some amenities.

Maybe I am hoping for too much. Perhaps there isn't one place in NH that has all I seek, but I'm probably 15 years from retirement, and that's if all goes well. I may not be able to kayak, hike, or ride my motorcycle in a beautiful place like NH 15 years from now.

*I definitely would not relocate without lining up a job first. I'm reasonably confident in my job prospects. I'm a little more concerned for my wife, though. We're not in a big hurry. Ive recently seen job openings in Manchester and Plymouth (I mistakenly said Portsmouth in my original post.) I am currently considering those options.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Default Housing Costs

I haven't seriously investigated the housing costs in New Hampshire yet, so I may be in for a shock, coming from the Toledo, OH area. My initial Thought was to purchase in the $200K range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You have many different options in NH. Do you prefer to be closer to the coast, nearer a city, the mountains, or the lakes? What are you looking for in terms of housing costs? etc.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:17 AM

477 posts, read 899,852 times
Right now, 200K buys a lot more than it did 5 years ago. Don't know what that is relative to Ohio, though. Check out this site for all available real estate:

NNEREN.com : Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire