Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:09 AM

7 posts, read 36,219 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We plan to move to the Nashua area in January, and would love to get suggestions on specific neighborhoods and schools. We have 4 children, oldest 2 are in 4th and 2nd grade this Fall. Have heard good things about Charlotte Ave. and Bicentennial schools.

We will be planning to rent a 3-4 bedroom single family house, aiming for around $2500 for rent plus utilities max.

We'd really like to be in a neighborhood with a LOT of kids and families, within walking/biking distance. Very tired of city life and arranging "playdates" I have to drive my kids to

We're not locked into Nashua itself, and would consider surrounding towns as long as we can be within commuting distance of Woburn, MA and also have enough of a "neighborhood" feeling (i.e. not too spread out/rural).

Thanks so much to anyone who replies!

(P.S. Please don't hold the "Boston" part against us - we don't belong here!! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 PM

37 posts, read 121,051 times
The entire Nashua school district is pretty good and I imagine even better now that the city has two high schools. Main Dunstable School is good and I would think there is plenty of rental (not sure on houses, but there are larger condos). On the other side of town off Broad Street, there are two elementary schools (both very good) Birch Hill and Broad Street Schools. There are plenty of different types of neighborhoods (older, newer, condos) off that road. Best of luck.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:54 AM

7 posts, read 36,219 times
Are there surrounding towns that have much better schools than Nashua? Just curious...

Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 AM

69 posts, read 211,360 times
Default Schools

We recently moved away from Nashua, NH. Bicenntenial school is a great school! One of the top rated in the area. THe neighborhoods there are nice, close to everything and really taken care of. Lots of sidewalk areas, close to the mall, etc.
The high schools are ok.....just ok. Although they have two high schools now, they are both somewhat crowded. You really have to be on top of the teachers to communicate with you. I loved the elementary schools, but was not very fond of the middle/high schools in Nashua. I am not familiar with all middle schools. My older son attended Fairgrounds and I was not impressed. I am sure there are other middle schools that would be much better.
I believe Nashua HIgh School North is better rated than South (which my kids attended...) but Bicenntenial is in the South district. I think.
Good luck with your move!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 34,284 times
GreatSchools.net has a lot of input from local parents and schools. Pretty good resource. But yes, Bicentennial, Charlotte Ave, Birch Hill and Main Dunstable have good ratings. As for neighborhoods, take your pick! There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Nashua. Good luck with your search.

Princess Keekee

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2007 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,029,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMom2Four View Post
Are there surrounding towns that have much better schools than Nashua? Just curious...
Sure, the schools in Hollis are great (regional with Brookline for middle & high school). But they're kinda expensive towns tax-wise.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:07 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,941,024 times
Besides Nashua (which does have good schools, by the way) nearby in Southern NH is Londonderry, which I believe is the top rated in the state (most of the reason we moved here) Londonderry does have public kindergarden, if that is a consideration for you. Derry next door also has great schools, and their high school is the highly rated Pinkerton Academy.

A favorite site of mine for school information (in addition to the GreatSchools.net that Princess Keekee mentioned) is NH School District Profile

This board is a great place to ask your questions before you move out this way

Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 PM

37 posts, read 121,051 times
In all fairness to the Nashua School District, I have heard that many parents complain that the lines of communication at the middle and high school levels are less than satisfactory, no matter what school your child is attending. Elementary teachers keep closer communication with parents because they are dealing with young children and more issues tend to come up. Besides, your child has one teacher and he/she most likely sends you notices monthly or even weekly. I was also going to suggest Hollis for a close town with good schools (much smaller schools), but I think it would be difficult to find rental in that town. Nashua really has many opportunities and recreational activities for all ages, although you could live in Hollis and still have those benefits from the city.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 PM
tjl

1 posts, read 9,678 times
Hi I currently live in Nashua and I would say off of Exit 6 is probably the best area. It is clean, pretty quiet has a bit of shopping close by as well as county setting in Hollis which is 5 minutes away.
There is two elementary schools just on broad St. (Birch Hill is the better of the two but Broad St is also pretty good. Also there is Nashua North HS which is only a few years old. Lastly not too far away is all three middle schools. Penichuck Middle is the best and that is right off of exit 7E about 5 minutes driving time.
Hope that helps
TJL-Nashua NH

Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,181 times
Default nashua is'ok' at best.

They call it "Nausea" for a reason. If you like "culture shock"rather than moderate diversity then Nashua is the place for you ! Not to mention the endless convoy if trailer trash teen moms pushing strollers down main street, you know the ones we all see with the racoon makeup and eyeliner so thick it looks like they're wearing a Lone Ranger mask. Other than those small setbacks, the shopping is great !

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-03-2013 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: not sure we want to go there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire