Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 160,049 times

Advertisements

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on the best times and places for observing the fall color.

Also, has the weather this Spring and Summer made for good colors? I assume since there has been plenty of rain that this fall should be good?

Anyway, to summarize and organize the answers:

1) Best time of year for color (NH, Vt)
2) Best places to observe
3) This years predictions
and 4th), any good stories or places to stay for weekend visitors (B&B, etc)?

Thanks and hope everyone enjoys the info!

phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
I did a quick search and didn't find anything on the best times and places for observing the fall color.

Also, has the weather this Spring and Summer made for good colors? I assume since there has been plenty of rain that this fall should be good?

Anyway, to summarize and organize the answers:

1) Best time of year for color (NH, Vt)
From what I have been told by my other New Hampshire friends its nice around late Sept-Oct. I dunno if thats accurate but before I moved here we were up around Oct 5th and they were beautiful

Northern New Hampshire, but you can find many many foilage tours like The Green Mountain Flyer (broken link) in Bellows Falls VT.

3) This years predictions
and 4th), any good stories or places to stay for weekend visitors (B&B, etc)?
This I do not know as this will be my first Autumn in New England.

Thanks and hope everyone enjoys the info!

phil
hope that helps some

Here are the reports from last year , so you can get an idea of when they peaked and what regions had nice colors I simply typed in Fall Foliage in the search button, they had ones for vermont too.

NHliving.com

Old 08-19-2007, 01:08 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
The fall foliage should be excellent by September in areas of northern New Hampshire and the north country. In fact, a frost advisory has been posted for the White Mountains and the north country for tonight. Lows will likely be in the lower 30s. Fall is just around the corner!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Plains - I just saw the frost advisory! Some of the trees up here in Littleton/Bethlehem are already starting to show signs of changing - not many, but a few

Old 08-19-2007, 01:56 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,211 times
Central to lower NH is prime in the last week of Sept. and the first week in Oct. I stayed in Sunapee last year and it was stunning. The I-89 corridor from Concord to Lebanon is a great viewing area. Just north of New London is a rest stop going north bound. It sits on a hillside overlooking a beautiful valley. Great place to stop! It's a NH info site.

We're staying at the Rosewood Inn B&B in Bradford this year. Looks like a great place. We'll let you know!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Oh yeah,
Check out this link for B & B's:

New Hampshire Bed and Breakfasts and Country Inns

Old 08-19-2007, 02:16 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,126 times
This website has a map that shows the timing in different regions of the state:
New Hampshire Foliage Report

Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
Pretty much anywhere is lovely to see. I prefer, if I'm going out leaf-peeping, to be up in the mountains. I've always thought the Kancamagus Hwy was beautiful that time of year!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
we wont be able to get to Keene until Oct 15th, I hope there will still be foliage.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM

You should be ok, although you will be on the tail end. Probably in southern NH there will be pockets of color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire