U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,330,919 times
Default alright folks what about Durham?

The good the bad etc. I know its a college town we don't have to live like smack downtown but there will still be things to do I'm sure. I've found some places to rent and reasonable prices for buying if we ever did. They haev the college so my husband could continue education. We have family just around exter to not far and just over the border in Danvers and Ipswich Mass so the drive isn't horrible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM

33,394 posts, read 28,007,444 times
Very nice small NH town with a university for cultural enhancement.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,645,169 times
The big difference between Durham and Keene is that Keene is isolated from the most populated parts of the state, and so was THE place to party, while most of the UNH students head out of town to Dover, Portsmouth, etc. for their own 'cultural enhancements'. Being part of the coveted Oyster River School District (Durham/Madbury/Lee) and taxes are a DEFINITE consideration. Durham's 2010 property tax rate was $27.28/thousand, Lee is $25.42 and Madbury is somewhat lower at $23.99/thousand. Most towns are just now setting their 2011 tax rates, and should be published on one of the .gov sites soon.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM

63 posts, read 116,095 times
Great place to consider renting (or buying if you have children in the k-12 schooling age). As Valerie noted, Durham has some of the highest RE taxes in the state (but what most consider a very good school system).
Mid sized town with a fair amount of college kids around.
Good proximity to Boston, Portsmouth and Dover as well as the mountains and lakes regions of NH.
Would seem like a good place to spend a year and explore where you really want to consider buying a home.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,100,347 times
If you like Durham, you may also like Newfields, Newmarket, Lee and other towns close to UNH.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM

124 posts, read 138,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
The good the bad etc. I know its a college town ...
Being a college town tends to skew statistics like unemployment.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
The big difference between Durham and Keene is that Keene is isolated from the most populated parts of the state, and so was THE place to party, while most of the UNH students head out of town to Dover, Portsmouth, etc. for their own 'cultural enhancements'. Being part of the coveted Oyster River School District (Durham/Madbury/Lee) and taxes are a DEFINITE consideration. Durham's 2010 property tax rate was $27.28/thousand, Lee is $25.42 and Madbury is somewhat lower at $23.99/thousand. Most towns are just now setting their 2011 tax rates, and should be published on one of the .gov sites soon.
oh yikes thats high. We are still keeping options open but it seems we're really leaning towards Dover. We saw some nice townhomes to rent/buy in Bellamy River Village. I don't know about the are obviously we'll check it out when we get there but its not downtown Dover which is nice but still close enough and close to portsmouth that we can not be too bored.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 PM

877 posts, read 1,637,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
As Valerie points out: Durham has a tax rate consistently in the highest 3 of the state. I know for a fact that the Town Administrator has warned that they will see a 6% increase or more in town operating costs, and the lack of fed funds and grants will push the local tax burden higher for the school district. But - if you're willing to pay these rates for a great location, great schools, and stable property values - it is a very nice place to live. (I'm in Madbury, but still only 15min walk from downtown Durham). Incidentally - Dover's rate is pretty darn high too, but cheaper property is available (fewer zoning restrictions on lot size etc.).

Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 PM

877 posts, read 1,637,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gully Foyle View Post
Being a college town tends to skew statistics like unemployment.
Why? Full-time students are not included in positive or negative employment data.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Incidentally - Dover's rate is pretty darn high too, but cheaper property is available (fewer zoning restrictions on lot size etc.).
This is my biggest concern and whats making this difficult. I feel like any place we look is gonna tax us out of of our range down the road. I'd hate to have to live way out by Keene again and be so secluded, esp with a child I'd like to be able to at least get to Boston in less than 3 hours in the summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire