U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,770,491 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at homes in Keene and a few other places. On the listing description there are letters next to where it says flood zone. What do the letters mean? I have searched and cant find anything that will tell me. So far I have seen flood zone, Y, N, and U. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,495,689 times
Suzet - I'm sure someone else can answer more definitively, but my guess would be:

Y=yes
N=no
U=unknown

Old 08-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
Suzet - I'm sure someone else can answer more definitively, but my guess would be:

Y=yes
N=no
U=unknown
Haha, thanks windchimes. I was thinking that is what those letters meant, but I wasnt sure. I didnt know if it was some tricky flooding lingo...lo. I have searched for some flood graphs also. But heck if I can read em...

Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 AM

877 posts, read 1,683,133 times
Default FEMA Data

If you have an address, this FEMA website will show the local flood zones:

https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/wps/portal

Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
If you have an address, this FEMA website will show the local flood zones:

https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/wps/portal
Thank you rmcewan

Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,495,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Haha, thanks windchimes. I was thinking that is what those letters meant, but I wasnt sure. I didnt know if it was some tricky flooding lingo...lo. I have searched for some flood graphs also. But heck if I can read em...
Hi Suzet - We rented before we bought and had renter's insurance. When we bought our home, we asked the insurance company if the house was in a flood plain and they told us it wasn't.....so, if you still have problems with the graphs and stuff, you could always check with an insurance company and ask them.....maybe?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,900,252 times
I must have been asleep at the wheel, never saw this post go by. You were right, windchimes, that the letters stand for Y=Yes, N=NO, U=Unknown.

However Suzet, do NOT take that listing sheet as gospel! There is a little disclaimer at the bottom (or somewhere) on every listing sheet that says "Subject to errors, ommissions, prior sale, change or withdrawl without notice", That little errors and ommissions mean that some information *could* be incorrect.

The bank will make darn sure to know if the property is or is not located within the flood zone...

Old 08-24-2007, 06:08 AM

33,789 posts, read 29,215,017 times
Check with the town assessor or planning office. They have maps of flood zones and they will help you understand what the symbols mean. Basically a flood zone map is a modified topographic map with the area that may be expected to be flooded. The categories are probability values ranging from every year to almost never.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments they were very helpful. The 2 homes we are looking both say N after flood zone, so I hope that is acurate. When we actually get out there, I will look more into it.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,900,252 times
Suzet,
I would never presume to tell another agent how to do their job but IF you write up an offer on one of these homes (or any home actually...) you may want to consider asking your agent to add the provision that the sale is subject to the property NOT being in a flood zone.

You as a buyer are given a set amount of time (spelled out in the purchase and sale contract) to complete inspections of deed, property, etc. With this additional provision added in, even if you find out after that time period, you'd be covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire