Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times

Advertisements

I am sure this question has been asked a 1000 times, but I am too lazy to look back at all the posts. How hard is it to learn to drive in the snow? Are snow tires the way to go or chains or tire studs? Which is type of drive is better, 4 wheel, rear wheel, or all wheel?

I have also heard that Subaru is the favored car of New England. So I am to assume the big SUVs' such as the Tahoes, Suburbans, Escalades, etc...dont drive as well in snow? I personally like the Ford F-150. That is my fave truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 34,121 times
There are two types of people, one type can't drive in snow and the other type THINK they can drive in snow. I moved to NH from Florida 10 years ago and only spun out twice (I was drive too fast and I thought I can drive in snow). I live in a small town but the main roads are ususally plowed pretty quick.

I used to drive a 88 Lebraon and now a 98 Camry, both are FWD. I just put some good 4 season tires and slow down a bit in winter. IMO you don't NEED a 4X4 unless you live in some rural area where they don't plow the back road quickly. 4X4 and good tires help you get traction in snow and slush but NOTHING will stop you on a icy road. ABS brake helps too.

Most accidents I saw after first snow are 4x4 SUVs.....

Old 08-26-2007, 09:16 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Well I drove in snow for the first time in Jan of this year and did fine. I just went slow, turned slower and made sure to give myself enough braking time. Subaru's are by far the most cars I see in keene. Particually the forrester. My husband and I have actually debated getting one ourselves before winter. As far as I know all season tires are just about all you need. They worked for us, we never had a problem and most people we talk to see to say the samething. The thing with studs and chains is you have to take them off after winter becasue they'll eat up the road and you'll get a ticket and I think that mostly requires having to take off your tires. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one. I don't see escalades , mercededs, lexus too much. Its not exactly a smarrt move to have that kinda car becasue they salt the roads and your car gets dirty in the winter. Keene does a fairly wonderful job of keeping the roads very clear in the winter so driving shouldn't be horrible. And like they said above me. Ice is a whole nother story

Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
The single biggest thing to driving in the snow is to SLOW DOWN. Iamster is completely right in the observation that most accidents ARE 4x4 SUVs. 4 wheel drive doesn't mean drive as tho it's 85 degrees and sunny. 4x4's also corner a bit differently, just something to get used to.

In the last 15 years, I've driven a Ford Tbird, a Taurus wagon, a Windstar mini-van and now an Impala (exciting car choices eh?) and knock on wood, I have never had an accident in the snow. And I drive ALOT OF MILES in my profession. Just keep it slow, try to RELAX while driving. White-knuckle drivers tend to over-correct when they feel the tires slipping. Find a big parking lot that hasn't been plowed yet and get in some practicing there

Old 08-26-2007, 12:31 PM

132 posts, read 350,680 times
Hi Suzet...I had already researched this myself because I haven't driven in snow for quite sometime, but plan to this winter.
Here are some good links:
Is it hard to drive in the wintertime?

how necessary is a 4wd/awd vehicle?

Snow tires or All Season Radials

Hope that helps

Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Find a big parking lot that hasn't been plowed yet and get in some practicing there
IMO, that is the best way to learn how drive in the snow and ice. Find a big parking lot where you won't hit anything (i.e. one without lamp posts or curbs) and then practice turning and braking until you learn how the car will react under various maneuvers at different speeds. I think it's a ton of fun, but that's a different story.

All-wheel drive is generally the best (4x4 is the same, except you can shift between two-wheel and four-wheel drive), front-wheel drive is second best, and rear-wheel drive is the hardest to control and I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:23 PM

562 posts, read 659,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am sure this question has been asked a 1000 times, but I am too lazy to look back at all the posts. How hard is it to learn to drive in the snow? Are snow tires the way to go or chains or tire studs? Which is type of drive is better, 4 wheel, rear wheel, or all wheel?

I have also heard that Subaru is the favored car of New England. So I am to assume the big SUVs' such as the Tahoes, Suburbans, Escalades, etc...dont drive as well in snow? I personally like the Ford F-150. That is my fave truck.
I am a 4 wheel drive guy, and I would recommend Green Diamond Tires. They originated the design in Iceland, so you can imagine they work well. Go run a search on them on Google and you'll find their web site.

I drive Toyota Land Cruisers, and Land Rover vehicles. The Subaru is a great inexpensive All Wheel Drive car, and will give you good service. Those big vehicles are fine, however it's best to have 4 wheel drive if that is the type of vehicle you drive.

Pickups are frowned upon in winter conditions. The light weight of the trucks rear end doesn't allow any traction and often ends up in the rear end sliding around where the front end was. Some put 200-300 pound sand bags over the rear axle in the bed of a truck if they still insist, but I don't recommend it.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
I drive a Nissan Pathfinder, and the wife drives a Honda CRV AWD. Both are excellent in snow. My previous vehicle was a GMC Yukon and it was ok.....still too big and heavy and had a tendency to "push" in snowy corners. Anything with front wheel drive, ABS, and traction control will do just as well as an AWD vehicle. Subaru's are excellent and have a good repair and resale value. I would avoid pick ups unless they had all wheel ABS. Some older models only have ABS in the rear.

Key is to drive cautiously, and not over react to a situation.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Subaru all wheel drive, SAAB or any front wheel drive - Yes

Old chevy pick up with nearly bald summer tires - NO (don't ask how I know this)

Most important is good snow tires on all four wheels and a couple of parking lot practice sessions. If you have never driven in slippery conditions have somebody with experience show you how,

Plug for a friend's business - Tim O'Neill's Driving School school in Littleton, NH

Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
I ran All seasons on my Front wheel drive cars for years with very few issues but the first winter I tried 4 snow tires I was blown away. The difference is night an day, giving you a significant margin of safety over just all seasons. Now I run dedicated snows all winter and wouldn't do it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire