Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:28 AM

477 posts, read 899,975 times

Advertisements

Come on up. We need all the libertarians here we can get.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,057 times
I live in the very southwest corner of the state, and from my experience, the more rural, tobacco-chewing, camo-wearing, 4x4 pickup drivin', unemployed-cuz-I-got-too-many-dui's-so-they-took-my-license-and-now-I-can't-drive-to-my-job, lower socioeconomic strata areas tend to be more racist. I even see a few stars 'n' bars now and then. But this is a very town. Keene, just 15 miles from here, is far friendlier. This whole state is very racially monolithic. But if you're in the Free State Project, you'll find a lot of people you've heard of and a lot to do in Keene.

If you do something like date a white girl (and if you want to date girls, you're slashing your dating pool by like 90%+ if you exclude white girls), you will probably draw a few haters, especially in the more rural towns. But you'll also find a lot of people who will stand with you, especially in the more urban areas. But they won't be there 24/7, of course, so you have to decide for yourself.

Disclaimer: I'm white, obviously I have no idea what it's like to be black, so take it for what it is. Good luck!

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-26-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-26-2011, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,534 times
Like mostly everyone else has said, I was raised to believe that the color of a person's skin doesn't define them. We all bleed red.

I lived in New Hampshire for almost all of my life, and although I'm white, and may not notice things like someone of color would concerning negativity toward race, but from what I've seen, everyone is, at the very least, tolerable. But, most wouldn't even give you a second look. You'd feel comfortable up here when it comes to that.

Definitely stick to more suburban or rural areas...the cities we have, at least Manchester...in my opinion views people of different color in a more negative way, and I think it has to do mostly with the fact that in Manchester, there is crime, and there also happens to be more diverse ethnicities as well. Do I think that the crime rate has anything to do with the color of the people who live in the city? Nope. However, others do.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 PM

155 posts, read 305,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsscareme View Post
I even see a few stars 'n' bars now and then.
Sorry to barge in, but this reference bothers me. After considering for a bit, I decided not to let it lay uncommented. I don't want to redirect this discussion, so consider my comment a sidebar.

The Battle Flag and Stars & Bars are not and never were symbols of racism except as promoted by agencies in recent decades bent on their own race-mongering agendas. Interestingly, this subject came up in a recent article: Articles: The Civil War is Over. Let the Battle Flag Be.

I have no heritage from the South. Now back to your previously scheduled discussion.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreznick View Post
Sorry to barge in, but this reference bothers me. After considering for a bit, I decided not to let it lay uncommented. I don't want to redirect this discussion, so consider my comment a sidebar.

The Battle Flag and Stars & Bars are not and never were symbols of racism except as promoted by agencies in recent decades bent on their own race-mongering agendas. Interestingly, this subject came up in a recent article: Articles: The Civil War is Over. Let the Battle Flag Be.

I have no heritage from the South. Now back to your previously scheduled discussion.
Agreed......these race-mongers are worse than the so-called racists they dream up that live in every small town fantasy that they concoct.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 PM

100 posts, read 101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreznick View Post

The reason most people believe that flag is racist is because it is often flown by the Ku Klux Klan and many other white supremacist groups. It's the same thing with the Swastika. The symbol itself is not racist (I think it was actually meant as a sign of good luck or eternity) but when the Nazis adopted it everyone began to see it as a racist symbol. You can't fly a flag with a Swastika on it without most people thinking you are a Nazi sympathizer. Same thing with the Confederate flag. Context is everything.

By the way, why would anyone fly a Confederate flag in New Hampshire out of all places? NH was not a part of the Confederacy (obviously)

Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Please get back on topic, guys.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM

181 posts, read 305,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinsscareme View Post

If you do something like date a white girl (and if you want to date girls, you're slashing your dating pool by like 90%+ if you exclude white girls), you will probably draw a few haters, especially in the more rural towns. But you'll also find a lot of people who will stand with you, especially in the more urban areas. But they won't be there 24/7, of course, so you have to decide for yourself.

Disclaimer: I'm white, obviously I have no idea what it's like to be black, so take it for what it is. Good luck!
I think you'll get more than a few haters. It is frowned upon more often than not at least in the experiences that I had, being here 6 months.

The FreeStaters will stand with you but as one stated before, they won't always be around 24/7.

Set your expectations low so you don't end up disappointing yourself when you get here.

As a fellow black American, I would recommend that you move to Manchester first and then feel your way around afterwards.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 130,910 times
I lived in NH for four years and I only experienced a few stares (mainly from kids). It was a wonderful experience and once I got over not having a hair salon close by I was fine. Enjoy the seacost area (Portsmouth, Dover, Durham). I miss the area and still stay in contact with my old co-workers ( and yes I was the only black person in the office) but it didn't matter.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
By the way, why would anyone fly a Confederate flag in New Hampshire out of all places? NH was not a part of the Confederacy (obviously)
(1) Because flags like most symbology are an expression of an idea, and as such, ideas are not, and can not, be confined to any given arbitrary geographical boundary.

(2) Because not everyone in NH is a "native." Some people port the flag from whence they came from, and considering (1), there is no reason they shouldn't do so if they feel so inclined. Their use or display of the flag isn't intended as an expression that NH was ever part of the Confederacy. It is an expression of larger conceptual ideas as a whole which knows no boundaries.

In any case, so long as we are on the overall subject I shall point out that one of my best friend is a Free State participant from the south. And with him, he chose to port up the Battle Flag which he flies from time to time, despite it seemingly being an oddity in that locale. This has led to a slight degree of friction on a few occasions from some uppity people who play their knee jerk racist game, but nonetheless, those who don't like it can suck it, as he'll continue to fly it anyway. Free country. His flying of the flag has no relation whatsoever to the state of NH or its status in the Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire